Silicon Valley

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
How does compression software improve video chat?
Immensely, every video chat or youtube/etc link right now is compressed because the raw video would be a huge amount of bandwidth.

Companies like Skype are just video stream compression experts with a fancy UI on the front end. Companies like Youtube are video file compression experts with a fancy UI on the front end.

Don't worry most people don't really understand all that. This also applies to all phone calls and a bunch of other things in life.

I feel like they telegraphed it hard when they did the first video chat with Gavin where he couldn't get it to work and then when Dinesh built a new platform for video chat to see the programmer chick and then he mentions it multiple times in the last couple of episodes.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Immensely, every video chat or youtube/etc link right now is compressed because the raw video would be a huge amount of bandwidth.

Companies like Skype are just video stream compression experts with a fancy UI on the front end. Companies like Youtube are video file compression experts with a fancy UI on the front end.

Don't worry most people don't really understand all that. This also applies to all phone calls and a bunch of other things in life.

I feel like they telegraphed it hard when they did the first video chat with Gavin where he couldn't get it to work and then when Dinesh built a new platform for video chat to see the programmer chick and then he mentions it multiple times in the last couple of episodes.
Yeah, i thought video chat was mainly a bandwidth centric thing with the video application on either end.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's kind of weird really since that's what they started with and they've barely mentioned it in the past couple seasons (really not at all except for the Dinesh thing). Like they started with that knowing it would get their name out but then forgot about it and now they're going to realize it again?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Any streaming company would pay huge bucks for something like middle out to compress it server side and decompress it client side. If something like middle out actually popped up it would instantly be worth billions. It would pay for itself in short time for a company like netflix, twitch or Amazon in bandwidth savings alone.

I remember Judge said in an interview he initially undervalued PP because he thought that the audience would in no way buy a huge valuation. He then had to re-evaluate that stance once he talked to Silicon Valley types who basically said if something like PP came to market there would be a feeding frenzy.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Tonight's Jin Yang prank had me in tears. I don't even know why, I think it was the way his voice changed when he said "old man"

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So they're going to do the Justin.tv -> Twitch type story next year? That should be fun.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
That isn't the twist nor why people aren't using the platform. People don't understand what it's doing or where their files are going and even a one button UI that just says "GO!" isn't going to solve anything. The general public also doesn't really have a need for that kind of compression. I thought they did a pretty good job of explaining that in the focus group with Richard.

And quite honestly, as a software developer it makes a lot more sense and happens all the time in the real world. I thought it was pretty good writing.
Obviously you are a software developer, because just like episode 9 (I haven't watched 10 yet), you just don't get how fucking stupid they are being. Maybe it's great writing, bunch of engineers can't figure out how stupidly easy it is to fix the platform, where as Monica instantly understands that the UI they built is overly complicated for no reason whatsoever.

All of this nonsense about it's too far ahead of its time and people just don't understand it, is dumb as fuck.

The Pied Piper platform already exists in real life, it's called BitSync. It's a real app, the Show version is just infinitely faster and should be infinitely less complicated to setup than bitsync is, hence it should be miracle next gen everything incorporates that technology now, from netflix twitch facebook amazon to etc etc etc.

Their is no reason to need to explain how it works, the focus groups and all that shit and richard wasting 6 hours trying to explain the math behind it was funny, because it was such a stupid thing an engineer would do because his nerd pride, but dumb as fuck for a CEO to do.

The only thing the platform needs is a stupid UI and it would instantly work and be used by everyone who uses the internet.

The app is just a pied piper icon that loads a library, like itunes or windows media player or anything else. Theres an "Add to library" button with a clean simple icon. The app analyzes the file, determines what it is (jpg, mp3, x264, whatever) and uploads it to the cloud/p2p encrypted distribution/whatever the fuck they use, back end magic.

Since its so fast, the file basically instantly loads to your library, so 1 second after hitting upload, a splash screen appears and says "Congrats, this file is now available on any device running Pied Piper app, enjoy" And like magic, you can pick up any device you have running the pied piper app, desk top, laptop, tablet, smart phone, fuck even your damn pebble smartwatch if they built an app for that, and can now instantly view photos/movies/music/whatever the fuck is in your library.

There's no reason to explain anything at all. There's no reason to have a complex fucking UI choosing every aspect of your compression, bit rate, frames, etc, etc, etc. it was dumb.