Silicon Valley

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, this thread is getting close to arguing the specifications of the warp drive on the Enterprise. The UI is 500x more complex than it needs to be. Why? Because plot. That shit would be ironed out in a week or less by a real company, and the sex & coke parties with kiddie pools full of cash to roll around in would be in full swing.
what i was mind boggled by was hooli spending 750m on a pied piper clone instead of working with pied piper for a more user friendly version they could license to use on their site.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yeah, this thread is getting close to arguing the specifications of the warp drive on the Enterprise. The UI is 500x more complex than it needs to be. Why? Because plot. That shit would be ironed out in a week or less by a real company, and the sex & coke parties with kiddie pools full of cash to roll around in would be in full swing.
The problem isn't the UI though, it's that the users had no idea where their files were and it made them nervous.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
The problem isn't the UI though, it's that the users had no idea where their files were and it made them nervous.
There were multiple problems. That one could have been solved with an approachable tutorial (not fucking clippy/pipey, which was much funnier). Most of the cloud storage apps have something similar that explains their high level function and usefulness. So.... again, plot device.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Good luck explaining to the plebes why the algorithm is not Skynet. Have you guys not read all the dumb ass hysteria in the news about AI and how it will end mankind one way or another?

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Good luck explaining to the plebes why the algorithm is not Skynet. Have you guys not read all the dumb ass hysteria in the news about AI and how it will end mankind one way or another?
Easy, don't use Skynet-invoking language like "it learns on its own without supervision". Just say the the platform adapts to your usage to compress your data better and moves it where it can be accessed the fastest. Same thing, except the latter doesn't sound like it will send a robot back in time to murder you for making it compress 100s of gigs of your faggoty duck-face mirror selfies.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Easy, don't use Skynet-invoking language like "it learns on its own without supervision". Just say the the platform adapts to your usage to compress your data better and moves it where it can be accessed the fastest. Same thing, except the latter doesn't sound like it will send a robot back in time to murder you for making it compress 100s of gigs of your faggoty duck-face mirror selfies.
Why say any of that, just say "our proprietary algorithm makes your shit smaller so you can store more."

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Why say any of that, just say "our proprietary algorithm makes your shit smaller so you can store more."
Sure. That works too. Point being, any competent technical marketer would know to steer the fuck away from Skynet sounding stuff. It's worded that way because it's funny to watch Richard sperg out trying to explain why his app won't cause the robo-apocalypse to mouth breathers.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
"Yeah, but what about Terminators?"

Oh no, he's a snake oil salesman. They sell it that way to the audience too with his conjoined triangles of success. He doesn't give a shit whether it's usable or not, he's going to sell it and then he's going to get out before the truth comes out.

If you ask me it's social commentary on the current state of all our fluff services and wall street here in the US.
It's actually that Jack is a typical CEO. He's beholden to his shareholders, and the only thing that matters is that you're showing profit quarter to quarter. The box does that, the platform doesn't. He's an amazing CEO, but he's not a visionary. I think the moral is that public companies (IPO, not gov) aren't really congruent with cutting edge stuff, because they can't be.

Khane

"Yeah, but what about Terminators?"

It's actually that Jack is a typical CEO. He's beholden to his shareholders, and the only thing that matters is that you're showing profit quarter to quarter. The box does that, the platform doesn't. He's an amazing CEO, but he's not a visionary. I think the moral is that public companies (IPO, not gov) aren't really congruent with cutting edge stuff, because they can't be.
So you agree?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Seems like they could have still sold the box for a lower price while keeping the algorithm theirs and while still focusing on the platform

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
this whole "twist" being that it's impossible to redo a fucking UI to manufacture tension/drama/whatever is pretty goddamn unforgivable. I mean we give GoT writers shit but this is just full retard writing.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, the box was only a shit project because of the fuck you contract they were getting if they sold it.

Khane

this whole "twist" being that it's impossible to redo a fucking UI to manufacture tension/drama/whatever is pretty goddamn unforgivable. I mean we give GoT writers shit but this is just full retard writing.
That isn't the twist nor why people aren't using the platform. People don't understand what it's doing or where their files are going and even a one button UI that just says "GO!" isn't going to solve anything. The general public also doesn't really have a need for that kind of compression. I thought they did a pretty good job of explaining that in the focus group with Richard.

And quite honestly, as a software developer it makes a lot more sense and happens all the time in the real world. I thought it was pretty good writing.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That isn't the twist nor why people aren't using the platform. People don't understand what it's doing or where their files are going and even a one button UI that just says "GO!" isn't going to solve anything. The general public also doesn't really have a need for that kind of compression. I thought they did a pretty good job of explaining that in the focus group with Richard.

And quite honestly, as a software developer it makes a lot more sense and happens all the time in the real world. I thought it was pretty good writing.
What would be a better application? Some kind of uber flash drive?

Khane

They covered that too. The stupid friggin box. Sell it to corporations that really need that kind of compression, streaming services, etc.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Right now they basically have a less friendly version of winZip. So pretty much any other application would be better.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
They are going to pivot to the video chat.

What you guys are failing to realize is that this isn't just a show with some invented story, it is a very accurate portrayal of what happens in SV. Go on some of the tech blogs and you will find stories like this all the time.