Silicon Valley

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I loved the new offices overlooking the Men's Room. Funny shit.

New Internet sounds cool.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Building a new internet opens up lots of plot options if they really want to go down that hole. Watching these idiots run afoul of governments could be interesting.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
needs more jian yang. He needs to be in every single episode.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Russ is gold. That was hysterical.

I also lost my shit with the Hooli CEO tanking the factory and Jack Barker because of a 23 minute delay on the flights ROFL.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Ok. I'll give it another go. I ran out of steam in season 3. I didn't hate it, but at the same time I felt like I knew the punchline before it landed. Except for Elrich. And there just wasn't 30 minutes worth of dick on table.

The trailer looked good.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Russ being at the wrong school in an orange Lambo was the funniest bit to me, other than that it was a little slow going. I do like the premise though for the season - Dinesh as CEO, Richard starting a new internet, Jack moved to the basement etc, strong set up episode.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Richard's idea of a "new internet" really wouldn't work, would it? You can't just piggy back on people's cell phones. Those networks are owned by the various telecommunication corps and certainly isn't "free". An individual user's data usage would skyrocket. Also, the processing power of a cell phone is sorta irrelevant. Data bandwidth and low latency would be what you'd want for an Internet 2.0 -- cellular networks are the exact opposite of that.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Richard's idea of a "new internet" really wouldn't work, would it? You can't just piggy back on people's cell phones. Those networks are owned by the various telecommunication corps and certainly isn't "free". An individual user's data usage would skyrocket. Also, the processing power of a cell phone is sorta irrelevant. Data bandwidth and low latency would be what you'd want for an Internet 2.0 -- cellular networks are the exact opposite of that.
I think he is talking about using their radio signals in a mesh and offload the bandwidth management to the distributed processing power.

Something like that, but we will see.

It's also just a theoretical to advance the plot of a TV show.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think he is talking about using their radio signals in a mesh and offload the bandwidth management to the distributed processing power.

Something like that, but we will see.

It's also just a theoretical to advance the plot of a TV show.

They've been realistic enough with their other stuff. I think there won't be too much of a stretch with it. The way he described it is basically a cellphone botnet though.. so far.

spronk

FPS noob
What he was just describing was a TOR network running off p2p mobile data. A mesh network makes no sense, no matter what you put in an app it cannot create an ad hoc network with other mobile phones. All data is going either through wifi or mobile data. And yeah, everyones data usage would skyrocket and the entire startup would die after 24 hours when people start screaming about the $25000 bill AT&T just charged them for p2p data sharing.

Its an incredibly stupid idea, just like his compression algorithm from season 1, because no one in their right fucking mind would be ok with bits of their private data residing or zapping around on millions of other people's PCs and phones but you just gotta ignore that for show reasons and pretend its amazing and cool.

Russ obsessing over 28 mins of time that Barker "stole" from him is awesome and amazing, as was Monica getting sent to piss view jail

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Obviously it's not going to be realistically doable or the writers would actually be starting the multi-billion dollar company instead of writing for a tv show.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
They were too stupid to figure out how to create a UI for their multibillion dollar platform last season, instead tried to explain to plebs how the sausage was made and lost all funding.

Individual jokes are usually well written but the overarching plotline of this show is just something you have to accept as bullshit to further the plot.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm not sure you guys who are saying data usage would skyrocket are understanding what this show has been about since the beginning.

Richard's outrageous data compression algorithm.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I'm not sure you guys who are saying data usage would skyrocket are understanding what this show has been about since the beginning.

Richard's outrageous data compression algorithm.
doesn't matter how good the compression is, something like this would never fly in a world with data caps, and even without data caps, cell providers would step in real fast and put a stop to it.

one of the things i liked about the show is that even though it takes some liberties it's pretty much based on reality. the new internet concept is retarded and completely impractical, however.

• 1Like