SimCity

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Once you figure out the Tropico pattern in first 2-3 maps, it becomes entirely trivial. I got bored of it after 3 days and there isn't a single expansion or DLC that will make it better from what I can tell.

I always made my money from spiced rum. Its the biggest money maker in the game

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Once you figure out the Tropico pattern in first 2-3 maps, it becomes entirely trivial. I got bored of it after 3 days and there isn't a single expansion or DLC that will make it better from what I can tell.
Pretty sure most games like Simcity and Tropico are going to be able to be beat in a certain pattern? I still think Tropico's theme is pretty cool, which is all it revolves around for most people.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
All city simulations are a complex puzzle that generally once you figure out the puzzle it's more or less beaten. The thing is, tropico (and simcity5) are so imbalanced that once you figure out the puzzle it's completely trivial. In simcity4, for example, it's not trivial to get skyscrapers nor is it trivial to support a large city.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I was never been able to consistently beat SimCity, even knowing all the tricks.

Once you build 4-5 sugar farms and a rum distillery in Tropico, its pretty much game over.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sounds exactly like SimCity except with processor plants

for 8 bucks, I'd say Tropico is worth it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
And I think virtually any factory is capable of accomplishing that. I always went weapon factories but I had no reason to believe they were better than rum, chemical, furniture etc.

One thing that blows is tourism.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Any factory is capable, in theory, but none give returns as massive as sugar + rum. And you can build those up in the first few turns literally, so its not like there is some massive tech tree if you have to climb before you get to them. Also, sugar is a renewable resource thus the distillery can operate in perpetuity, but something like weapons factories is dependent on how much iron ore you have left, which is a finite resource.

Tourism can give decent returns but it requires a humongous investment and very good planning. I tried going all tourism after building my rum empire since I had so much cash, but for the amount of money spent, the best gain I got is that my island just looked a lot more festive.

P.S. The game constantly reminded me of this

1064825242.jpg

P.P.S. Reading the last few pages of this thread was super lulzy. I had no idea that SC sucked so hard.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Any factory is capable, in theory, but none give returns as massive as sugar + rum. And you can build those up in the first few turns literally, so its not like there is some massive tech tree if you have to climb before you get to them. Also, sugar is a renewable resource thus the distillery can operate in perpetuity, but something like weapons factories is dependent on how much iron ore you have left, which is a finite resource.

Tourism can give decent returns but it requires a humongous investment and very good planning. I tried going all tourism after building my rum empire since I had so much cash, but for the amount of money spent, the best gain I got is that my island just looked a lot more festive.
The thing is, the most important resource you have is your population and you have to wisely choose what to do with them. If you've got 30 workers I'm pretty confident it's more profitable to import X resource and export Y product than have half of them mine/farm X resource and the other half export Y product. Which product is most profitable I have no idea.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Araysar;156343 said:
I was never been able to consistently beat SimCity, even knowing all the tricks.

Edit I swear I posted this like an hour ago but everyone already covered the important bits.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Anyone play Cities in Motion 2 yet? Worth a purchase? Never played the first personally.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I pirated it since I didn't care for the first. I also didn't care for the second. I uninstalled it. The emphasis on transit systems alone just doesn't interest me. Coming from the perspective of uninterest, it's hard for me to say whether it's worthwhile for those interested in the scenario.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I keep seeing this thread with new posts and come hoping it's news that the game is fixed
frown.png
It'll never be fixed. At the rate they're going they'll shut the servers down by the time they have a chance to look at the ways the core of the game is broken.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
So, you're saying basically Sim City 2, or at the very least the super awesome pre-orderable DLC expansion pack? :-\
edit: forgot to add a few more buzz words in there. Can't forget premium, deluxe, limited edition.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
tbh I doubt there will ever be a simcity released that's worthy of the name unless it's like ten years from now and made by a group that has very little relation to the current Maxis.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
tbh I doubt there will ever be a simcity released that's worthy of the name unless it's like ten years from now and made by a group that has very little relation to the current Maxis.
Sounds like a job for captain Kickstarter !

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Actually, didn't someone earlier link to an independent developer who was working on a city building game? I don't think they were using Kickstarter to fund it, but something similar.