Smartphones

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Curious how that worked for your sister? I assume the "upgrade" or whatever just stays on her account until she wants to use it? or does it go away as soon as you activate the other phone on the account?

Assuming you're talking about the Note 7, it wasn't a discounted upgrade. She was paying for it at full price, just in installments. She considered the Pixel, but decided to wait for the S8.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Assuming you're talking about the Note 7, it wasn't a discounted upgrade. She was paying for it at full price, just in installments. She considered the Pixel, but decided to wait for the S8.
Yea, I suppose regardless an upgrade wouldn't be required when we pay full price for these things now.

I remember they kept telling me at Verizon that my "upgrade status" was put back on that line, so I could upgrade to any other phone. I think it was all just jargon.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
What are you currently using now as a carrier?, you could easily just get a basic used/refurbished or just old stock galaxy s5/s6

AT&T. Called them today to see if I could find some nonsense for getting a new phone / ask for something out of stock (maybe they would have access to better inventory #s than are online). Guy told me to go to Walmart etc, buy a burner phone #, and then convert the line to ATT on our family plan, and I would get an essentially free upgrade to whatever top of the line phone is out right now.

Going to give it a go tomorrow or Saturday. Anyone else been told to try this?

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Cyanogen is shutting down. Nightlies are stopping on the 31st. I guess some devs will keep the project alive under lineageos name.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Ok, went to some indian guy used cell store, got the shittiest phone they had. Went to Verizon, got it put on an "Edge"? plan for like 60/mo (no contract, termination fees, etc etc,cause I had the phone.)

Went to ATT, moved the line to my ATT account, got a 650$ credit, dropped 100$ for the 128gig iPhone 7. Turned off old phone line. As long as I dont cancel service in 30months (I think, dont remember the exact amt) phone ends up costing 100$. Plus the 20 bucks for indian dude phone, plus 2$ or whatever for 1 day of Verizon service.

Gimmick worked. (Requires direct TV, which I have in my name, at my dad's house).

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Anybody know of a quality of micro USB cable? I swear I used to have no problem but I've gone through like 12 of these fucking things in the last 4 months. Really starting to piss me off.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
How does the USB-C hold up compared to the Micro USB connectors?

My G Pixel is asking.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
How does the USB-C hold up compared to the Micro USB connectors?

My G Pixel is asking.

I want USB C on everything now that I've used it on my Pixel. Not having to deal with 4 dimensional USB A/B is fantastic. I've had the Pixel since launch and it shows no signs of the plug loosening at all.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
No problems here on Usb-C on a Nexus 5x for over a year. On regular usb connection you should have a 50% chance of plugging it in correctly you somehow I turned it into a 90% failure rate. USB C saves me around 5 minutes everyday since I can't fuck up plugging it in.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
On regular usb connection you should have a 50% chance of plugging it in correctly you somehow I turned it into a 90% failure rate. USB C saves me around 5 minutes everyday since I can't fuck up plugging it in.

q32CRFj.jpg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Can't get mother in law to cancel our lines on Verizon. Never again am I joining a family plan. They want us to stay for their new plan because it saves them money.

If we switch to project fi can I just hijack my phone number and take it or does it actually have to be cancelled?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The USB C jack on my Nexus 6P is getting pretty loose after a year. I might be a little harder on my phones than most people and I'm always getting dirt and lint in it but it's getting to the point where I can't charge it on the road because the plug vibrates out.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Can't get mother in law to cancel our lines on Verizon. Never again am I joining a family plan. They want us to stay for their new plan because it saves them money.

If we switch to project fi can I just hijack my phone number and take it or does it actually have to be cancelled?

I think the owner of the account has to be the one to approve it but I'm not 100% on that. I know I've made changes to an account that I share with my parents with Verizon but that was just adding service.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

Not quite sure if Verizon is different, but porting my number over to Fi required that I give Fi the login and password to my straight talk account.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Went to buy my fi phones and everything is out of stock basically haha. Must be the type of month where everyones contracts ended.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Do Android phones hold value much worse iPhones? Seems that way to me... looking at what I could sell my S7 Edge for right now I'd probably get $300 whereas a few months back I sold my old ass iPhone 6 with a cracked screen for $250.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yes, Apple people overpay for things even in the secondary market.