Smartphones

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I was going to buy a factory refurbished S7 for $330 just like I did for the Nexus 5.

You dudes buy this shit new?
Unless they're replacing batteries during the refurbishment process, which I very much doubt, I would never consider buying a used smart phone. The batteries all go to shit after about a year, especially on the Android side.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Unless they're replacing batteries during the refurbishment process, which I very much doubt, I would never consider buying a used smart phone. The batteries all go to shit after about a year, especially on the Android side.

I've had this nexus 5 for nearly 4 years.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The S8 is rumored to be the most expensive smartphone ever, eclipsing $1000. And the S7 right now is still like $700...

Are you confusing the S8 with the iPhone 8? Most rumor websites have the Samsung Galaxy S8 around $800. The iPhone, on the other hand, is expected to be a significant model for its 10th anniversary and have a >$1000 price tag.

iPhone 8: Everything we know so far about the 10th-anniversary edition of Apple's historic phone
It could cost $1,000 or more
Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty (via Macrumors) contends that Apple will deliver a dramatically redesigned iPhone 8 with tons of new features, supporting Fast Company's theory that the 10th anniversary edition will cost more than $1,000. It's certainly possible -- and, perhaps, likely, if the new model includes even just a few of the more dramatic rumored features. This would also pave the way for Apple to release less expensive models (i.e. the iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus) in March.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I love the way the edge screen looks but fuck, premium phones are expensive enough as it is. Gonna buy a OPO likely just out of spite. I mean, they're great phones too, hope they don't fuck up the whole package with a low ppi pentile screen.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
is it possible that using a third party charger has turned my phone's battery to shit? I've been using this at work since last summer:

Amazon.com: AUKEY PA-T9 USB Wall Charger with Quick Charge 3.0 for Galaxy S7/S6/Edge, LG G5 (Qualcomm Certified): Cell Phones & Accessories

This has been my theory for people who have battery issues. These new Samsung phones have adaptive fast charging and vary both the charge voltage AND amperage through the charge cycle. I would not be surprised if some shit Chinese adaptive chargers are simply prematurely wearing batteries by not controlling the charge cycle as the manufacturer intended. You push too much juice in any rechargeable battery and you are going to have premature degradation.

To clarify, Samsung has had 3 charge styles over the years:
Normal Trickle Charge: normal 1A charge 5V fixed voltage - lowest wear and tear on battery - charges slow as fuck (all iPhones use this + early Samsung models)
Fast Charge: 2A charge same 5V fixed voltage- charges at literally twice the rate - unknown long term battery wear (Samsung S3-S5 ?)
Adaptive Fast Charge - much more complex and has variable 5V to 9V charge cycle as well as variable Amperage - super fast charging (Samsung S6 + S7)

So yea, you can see how some crap 3rd party chargers could be juicing the shit out of your battery constantly, which would degrade it.

I have my S7 from release week last year and only use Samsung official chargers in both my home (wireless and corded) and my car. The battery works just as good as the day I bought the phone.

Last edited:

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
This has been my theory for people who have battery issues. These new Samsung phones have adaptive fast charging and vary both the charge voltage AND amperage through the charge cycle. I would not be surprised if some shit Chinese adaptive chargers are simply prematurely wearing batteries by not controlling the charge cycle as the manufacturer intended. You push too much juice in any rechargeable battery and you are going to have premature degradation.

To clarify, Samsung has had 3 charge styles over the years:
Normal Trickle Charge: normal 1A charge 5V fixed voltage - lowest wear and tear on battery - charges slow as fuck (all iPhones use this + early Samsung models)
Fast Charge: 2A charge same 5V fixed voltage- charges at literally twice the rate - unknown long term battery wear (Samsung S3-S5 ?)
Adaptive Fast Charge - much more complex and has variable 5V to 9V charge cycle as well as variable Amperage - super fast charging (Samsung S6 + S7)

So yea, you can see how some crap 3rd party chargers could be juicing the shit out of your battery constantly, which would degrade it.

I have my S7 from release week last year and only use Samsung official chargers in both my home (wireless and corded) and my car. The battery works just as good as the day I bought the phone.
it's probably the lack of adaptive charge that has fucked my battery. any idea if there are places you can take an S7 to get the battery swapped out for a fresh one? I'm guessing not.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
it's probably the lack of adaptive charge that has fucked my battery. any idea if there are places you can take an S7 to get the battery swapped out for a fresh one? I'm guessing not.

That charger you linked reads an output of up to 12V. That's probably your first problem.

81%2Bd5DVXD6L._SL1500_.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Amazon ratings can be really deceptive. Some people out there have really low standards. The same kind of people that keep places like Cheesecake Factory in business.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
That's how quick charging works, the big limitation is current over the tiny micro usb pins, so quick charge relies on stable amperage and increasing voltage to boost wattage being transmitted.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes, but Samsung chargers only increase to 9V. That Chinese charger he bought rates up to 12V output. He is complaining about premature battery degradation. I am guessing that is the primary culprit. A crappy 3rd party Chinese charger doing god knows what during the charge cycle.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Yes, but Samsung chargers only increase to 9V. That Chinese charger he bought rates up to 12V output. He is complaining about premature battery degradation. I am guessing that is the primary culprit. A crappy 3rd party Chinese charger doing god knows what during the charge cycle.

Samsung's "Adaptive Fast Charge" is not the same thing as Qualcomm's "Quick Charge" which can do up to 20v. Aukey is a legit brand, if it did not detect quick charge support it would not run it up to 12v. Notice how it has multiple output voltages, it smart detects what the phone is designed for and outputs accordingly.

Aukey and Anker are both totally reliable chinese brands.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
so what's the deal? is my battery fucked because of my third party charger or is the phone just a piece of shit?

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
so what's the deal? is my battery fucked because of my third party charger or is the phone just a piece of shit?

Holw old is the phone? Most modern lipo batteries just can't handle more then 500-600 charges before deteriotating.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'm sad the G6 is losing replaceable batteries. I think the G series was the last major flagship with them, right?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
The Aukey people messaged me basically offering a refund if I dropped my bad review (3 stars) on Amazon. Lol what scumbags.