Smartphones

Lenas

Trump's Staff
SIM card slot on my OnePlus One shit the bed last night. Not reading any SIM cards I put in it now.

Ordered a Note 5, don't have time to fuck around without a phone :/ If I end up getting the OPO working again maybe I'll give it to the wife.
Update 14 months later: my OPO was indeed not actually broken. Charger on wife's Xperia phone stopped working so I brought it out and tried to resurrect. Flashed back to factory, changed some of the APN settings and now the OPO is working again. Still a damn good phone.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Google is pretty awesome. My 6P developed a known battery issue where it shuts down randomly between 15-30% life left.

The most recent time when I was on a long walk with my kids, which was a bit disconcerting to have it die at 30%.

I was out of warranty but they are sending me a refurbished replacement at no charge.

They definitely didn't have too, so kudos to them.

My 6p has had this issue for months, it was shutting down at 50% which was the final straw.

Spoke to my network by phone and they said bring it into a store to be sent away for repair. Get there and the cuck working there takes one look at it, notices that a small fragment of the exterior case has broke off 0 literally a section of plastic strip at the bottom that doesn't even expose any circuitry or anything and says "physical damage, they won't repair it".

I explained to him this was a known fault with these handsets and to explain how physical damage to the exterior case will affect the battery, but he is adamant. I then explain that last year they repaired the screen with the same physical damage present and to explain that one (I'd dropped it down the toilet after a music festival, water damage definitely isn't repairable under warranty but somehow they did repair it).

This fucking cucks hands are shaking and he agrees to book it in for repair, prints off some paperwork and wants me to sign it. I notice he's listed the fault as "physical damage to handset". I tell him that's not the fault or the reason that I've brought in, get him to reprint it off with the real reason why it's being sent back

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone pull their 6p out of their pocket only to find it's off, and have problems getting it back on?

It's happened a couple of times now. No battery indicator, plug it in and nothing on the screen. Leave it plugged in for a bit and then hold power and down for 10-20-whatever seconds and then it usually turns on.

I don't have any of the 'turn off at n%' issues, but this one is annoying.

Also it tends to restart occasionally and when it does it says 'missed alarm' and the alarm briefly goes off before the notification clears on it's own.

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
Anyone pull their 6p out of their pocket only to find it's off, and have problems getting it back on?

It's happened a couple of times now. No battery indicator, plug it in and nothing on the screen. Leave it plugged in for a bit and then hold power and down for 10-20-whatever seconds and then it usually turns on.

I don't have any of the 'turn off at n%' issues, but this one is annoying.

Also it tends to restart occasionally and when it does it says 'missed alarm' and the alarm briefly goes off before the notification clears on it's own.

I had that problem awhile back, just randomly would turn off. I can't remember if somehow the battery got drained in my pocket, but I ran an update that I didn't know was available and it resolved itself.

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
Have been having 6p battery issues lately too. Didn't know it was a common issue.

Will check with Google support, glad to learn that.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Have been having 6p battery issues lately too. Didn't know it was a common issue.

Will check with Google support, glad to learn that.

Here is the Google thread on the bug - still no fix! Issue 227849 - android - Nexus 6P shutdown before battery is discharged - Android Open Source Project - Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting

My carrier is refusing to repair the phone because of the physical damage to the case. Google UK Play support said it's nothing to do with them. Next stop is Huawei.

I'm due an upgrade in November, was waiting for the 2017 Pixel, at this point I think I should try to get my carrier to waive the charge to buyout remainder of my contract and get a Pixel.

Malkav

French Madman
Here is the Google thread on the bug - still no fix! Issue 227849 - android - Nexus 6P shutdown before battery is discharged - Android Open Source Project - Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting

My carrier is refusing to repair the phone because of the physical damage to the case. Google UK Play support said it's nothing to do with them. Next stop is Huawei.

I'm due an upgrade in November, was waiting for the 2017 Pixel, at this point I think I should try to get my carrier to waive the charge to buyout remainder of my contract and get a Pixel.

I bought mine directly from the Play Store, should help with Google.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Response to the S8 announcement seems to be pretty lukewarm. Not good for Samsung after the Note 7 disaster.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Response to the S8 announcement seems to be pretty lukewarm. Not good for Samsung after the Note 7 disaster.

I saw a lot of positive response to it. Doesn't matter to me though cause i'm done with this pray for an OS update bullshit.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
It looks decent, but the battery sizes look a little skimpy for displays of that size. 3000 mah for the S8 and 3500 mah for the S8+ make me this that battery life will be mediocre. The fingerprint reader is also in a pretty lousy location.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I really wanna get it, but have some doubts. Looks slick AF though. Can't deny that. And given Samsung's trade in program, since I'm over 50 percent paid off on my S7 edge, I can just swap and monthly payments are going to stay similar.

But the iPhone 8 this year is going to have similar amazing displays, as they are getting them from Samsung anyway, and their own version of infinite display, so it's making it very hard to choose. Having to wait also sucks... September for iPhone, at which point you have the Note 8 to compare it to as well. Fuck!

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I saw a lot of positive response to it. Doesn't matter to me though cause i'm done with this pray for an OS update bullshit.
I am really surprised that this hasn't caused more issues for Android, and as I've said in the past it is the main reason I will only buy the Nexus/Pixel line. Google needs to figure out a way to force carriers to push out the updates much, much faster.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Preordered my S8+ with Verizon today. I love being grandfathered into the 50% edge program. Only $2 more per month than my S7 Edge. Just hope my UAG case gets here somewhat around the 21st as I really don't want to go through S8s like I did S7s. Battery life is only negative imo, but maybe it won't be too terrible. Mine already sucks anyway as I have shit coverage up here in the mountains where I live.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Wow!

So my carrier refused to repair my nexus 6p because there is some light physical damage to the casing. When I spoke to the repair centre they said they would charge me £170 to return the phone to "warranty standard" but never said if that would address the battery shutdown bug. I tried to explain the fault to the guy on phone but he wasn't aware of it and said at the end of the call to me "I don't like talking to idiots"

I complained via the carriers twitter account and they've just listened to the call - they're offering me a Huawei p9 as a goodwill gesture!

This will last me the remaining 7 months of my deal then I will get the 2017 Pixel!