Smartphones

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
You can port your number between carriers 100%.

You can also bring your device over of its a Verizon unlocked device 100%. They will say whatever they can to try and get you on to device payment or their leasing program.

Say you want to speak to their District Manager if it's an indirect agent and they aren't helping you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
It seems a lot of you are leaving Verizon, is there something I'm not seeing and I should jump ship too?

Just because I work here doesn't mean it's the best carrier all the time.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Im trying to take my Verizon S7 Edge to Sprint but keep hearing different bullshit from the subhumans who work there. So far Ive heard that it can be done no problem, it cant be done at all, and that I cant take both the phone and phone number. Does anybody know the answer to this simple question?

As long as Verizon unlocks the phone as they are required to do once it's paid off, there is no issue from a hardware standpoint. Both Sprint and Verizon are CDMA carriers and the S7 supports bands for both carriers.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
It seems a lot of you are leaving Verizon, is there something I'm not seeing and I should jump ship too?

Just because I work here doesn't mean it's the best carrier all the time.

Lots of good competition thanks to Tmo, Sprint and various MVNOs fighting for customers. People like myself are willing to sacrifice some network coverage for much cheaper plans. My Fi bill hovers around $29/month.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
I am in a rural area and Sprint and Tmobile don't work well, I only see savings of 20$ comparing plans for 4 people, doesn't make sense to take a quality hit of that caliber for 240$ per year.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
There is no way your phone service could be what I would consider good at 29 dollars a month, who are you using, cricket?

I'm on Google Fi, so a combination of Sprint, TMO, and US Cellular. Network coverage isn't quite as good as when I was using Straight Talk on ATT, but it's good enough for me. I switched to it when I got my Pixel, figuring that I'd just go back to Straight Talk or another carrier if I didn't like it.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
FI is only for Pixel phones right?
I'm on Google Fi, so a combination of Sprint, TMO, and US Cellular. Network coverage isn't quite as good as when I was using Straight Talk on ATT, but it's good enough for me. I switched to it when I got my Pixel, figuring that I'd just go back to Straight Talk or another carrier if I didn't like it.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Added my wife to the Fi plan to save another $5, so Our bill last month for us both was a total of $47.08. We are on wifi every where we go so barely use any data.

To be fair we are just outside of Atlanta so our coverage is great.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Project Fi is awesome, but here's the problem.

If you're not in the market for a $650 phone (the Pixel), then your only options are the Nexus 5x and the 6p. Both are currently in class action lawsuits due to shoddy construction by their respective manufacturers causing bootloops. The 5x alone has over 4000 people on reddit reporting bootloop issues very recently. Mine died this weekend.

Google is fantastic and is mailing me out a refurbished 5x for free to replace mine, but it's still a 5x, and there's no telling how long it's going to last. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a Moto G5 Plus and just ditching Fi until they come up with some selection that isn't complete dogshit. I'm not paying $650 for a phone that's very unlikely to last 2 years, and I don't see the point in buying a $250-$300 phone that's very likely to die due to manufacturing defects. I enjoy the $29 bills as well, but I can just take it to Sprint for okay coverage in my area for $40 and that's pretty acceptable for not buying a phone that's essentially a ticking time bomb.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The fact that Verizon refuses to send MMS over Wi-Fi is annoying as fuck. And Textra needs to get their shit together when it comes to MMS. Everyone recently updating to Nougat has jacked their shit up bad when it comes to MMS and they haven't been able to get it under control.

I constantly get MMS drop outs, where Textra will tell me that MMS has failed.

What do people use? Verizon Messenger and stock Samsung Messenger seem like balls.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I've been using Hangouts since they added SMS to it and will probably keep using it until Fi customers stop being able to use it for SMS. Google should really get their shit together on messaging. Allo should have been turned into an imessage clone with a desktop/web app before they shut off SMS in hangouts.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a Moto G5 Plus and just ditching Fi until they come up with some selection that isn't complete dogshit.

I've purchased the Moto G5 Plus 4gb ram variant. I haven't used another brand other than Motorola, so I can't say I love it over another phone.
Anything bigger and it wouldn't be a one handed phone @ 5.2". "Fits like a glove"
Playing in two apps at the same time (side by side) might be old tech but new to me and I love it. Fifty apps opened at the same time with no lag is a great feeling.
Every conseivable option is obtainable in the settings department. Even an option to DND when turned face down with options to allow certain apps, phone numbers... etc...

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I need good usb a to micro cables which support modern higher amperage charging, can anyone recommend any? I've tried a few now and even my oem one is failing because the spring tensioner on the micro clip gets BTFOd by gravity and or minor movement of the device.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The fact that Verizon refuses to send MMS over Wi-Fi is annoying as fuck. And Textra needs to get their shit together when it comes to MMS. Everyone recently updating to Nougat has jacked their shit up bad when it comes to MMS and they haven't been able to get it under control.

I constantly get MMS drop outs, where Textra will tell me that MMS has failed.

What do people use? Verizon Messenger and stock Samsung Messenger seem like balls.

I wish I could get everyone in my family to stop texting completely. Facebook Messenger is great and works anywhere you can get any sort of internet but for some reason SMS you can only get from a cell tower and since I'm out of cell coverage 90% of the time texts turn into a real clusterfuck for me.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I wish I could get everyone in my family to stop texting completely. Facebook Messenger is great and works anywhere you can get any sort of internet but for some reason SMS you can only get from a cell tower and since I'm out of cell coverage 90% of the time texts turn into a real clusterfuck for me.
SMS piggybacks the heartbeat messages sent between the cell tower and your phone. That's where the 160 character limitation comes from, that's all the space that had left in those packets.