Smartphones

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thought for sure that I was going to be skipping the S8 , to go with the Pixel 2, but I don't want to wait until Christmas for the Pixel 2 to release. So now I'm looking back at the S8 and despite previous comments I get a little excited over it, and then I read a comparisons app, and the incremental increase on all the guts is a complete turn off. I get it, they dumped all their juice into the screen re-design, which I love love love, but fuck... shelling out $850 when it's not that much faster. Was hoping for some more cool awesome shit. :(

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, the S8 seems like the smallest "upgrade" I have seen from Samsung in years. Hell, they didn't even bother upgrading the camera.

Going to happily hold onto my S7 until the next best thing.

Crone

Yea, the S8 seems like the smallest "upgrade" I have seen from Samsung in years. Hell, they didn't even bother upgrading the camera.

Going to happily hold onto my S7 until the next best thing.
That's what I should be doing, but I'm bored with it. Works perfectly fine. Maybe a new case or some shit will spice it up a bit. lol

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I think the really interesting release from Samsung will be the next Note. I would think they'll be going all out to make the best phone they can in order to overcome the stigma from the battery debacle.

The Pixel 2 should be interesting as well. A lot of the criticisms of the Pixel have been written off due to it's rushed development. Google won't have that excuse this time.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
And my LG G4 just shit the bed. Fuck.

I loved this phone, I bought 2 batteries for the fucking thing, fucking bootloop.

Of course I've had it for 1.6 years so its out of warranty.

I'm not buying another $700 something phone, when this one died in less than 2 years of operation. Fuck that.

So I just bought the Moto G5 Plus w/ Amazon ads for $185.00.

I hate not having a replaceable battery, but I figure if the battery lasts a year and 1/2, it's still less than half the price I shelled out for the G4.

I had every intention of running this phone into the ground, fucking planned obsolesce.

Last edited:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

I loved this phone, I bought 2 batteries for the fucking thing, fucking bootloop.

I'm not buying another $700 something phone, when this one died less than 2 years of operation. Fuck that.

I hate not having a replaceable battery, but I figure if the battery lasts a year and 1/2, it's still less than half the price I shelled out for the G4.

I had every intention of running this phone into the ground, fucking planned obsolesce.

Might want to look in to the class action suit against LG for the bootloop issue in various phones. Once it's settled in a few years you might get a certificate for $20 off your next LG phone.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Might want to look in to the class action suit against LG for the bootloop issue in various phones. Once it's settled in a few years you might get a certificate for $20 off your next LG phone.

Lol yeah $20 sounds about right, based on everything I read about the issue I'm surprised I didn't run into it earlier.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>

I'm not buying another $700 something phone, when this one died less than 2 years of operation. Fuck that.

If you scroll back a few pages i had the same issue.

If yoi are out of warranty it is new phone time. I got mine fixed under warranty so thank God.... Just a few month before it expired...

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Looking at new phones lately and i'm wondering if i should just get the Pixel or wait. I'm on Verizon and i looked into AT&T but their phone selection right now is nonexistent. Currently using the HTC One M7. It may be old but this phone has been phenomenal (except the camera turns everything purple, annoying). Only thing is it's getting hot more often lately and the battery won't last a full day anymore. I prefer as close to stock android as possible, so sorry Samsung - you're out.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Why insist on stock but then rule out flashing?

I used to be constantly flashing various flavors of android on my phones until I got my Pixel. Nowadays I can't be bothered, as I don't really have any software fixable complaints about it. I can completely understand someone not wanting to get in to it.

Looking at new phones lately and i'm wondering if i should just get the Pixel or wait. I'm on Verizon and i looked into AT&T but their phone selection right now is nonexistent. Currently using the HTC One M7. It may be old but this phone has been phenomenal (except the camera turns everything purple, annoying). Only thing is it's getting hot more often lately and the battery won't last a full day anymore. I prefer as close to stock android as possible, so sorry Samsung - you're out.

The Pixel is a great phone, but not without it's flaws. My main complaints are the large top and bottom bezels, the lousy, easily covered bottom speaker, and the lack of any water/dust resistance. If you can hold out until next fall when the next Pixel is likely to be released, I would do so. It will be nice to see what Google can come up with when the have more development time and aren't making a phone out of mostly off the shelf HTC parts. If you can't wait, the Pixel is still a very good phone and worth it if you can find one in stock. I would buy it from Google instead of Verizon though, as the last I heard, Verizon was still fucking with their version to some extent.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
You should look into the Android Moto Z2 "Force" (Verizon only)
It's said to be sporting the new Qualcomm snapdragon 835 chipset with 6GB ram and 128GB storage (w/Expandable external storage SD card support to 2TB, that can be formated to internal memory [using C10,U1,U3 grade micro SD cards] with a toggle).
These are Motorola's flagship phones and run into $700 range. Rumored to be 4G LTE Cat 14 @ upto 1 Gbps speeds.
All Moto Z lines support the Motorola "Moto Mods" exclusively.

***Edit: this phone will not be a Verizon Wireless exclusive (as it's predecessor Moto Z Force Droid) as it will support Sprint and T-Mobile

I wish I would have sold one of my extra kidneys and waited for this phone

Last edited:

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
So I preordered my S8+ on the 30th, and yesterday Verizon calls and says somehow their system "forgot" to ship mine out... so they shipped it today and I won't have it until Tuesday :( Meanwhile other Verizon users have had theirs since the 19th. Ugh.

Crone

Lol at wanting stock Android. It's either Google Pixel, or you get a little bloat. Samsung isn't even that bad anymore. The carriers load more bull shit on the phones than the phone maker. I've disabled quite a few Verizon apps on my S7 Edge, but not a single Samsung one.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I bought an S8+ for shits and giggles. I haven't bought a new phone in three years (was using an iPhone 6+.) I don't follow tech news and didn't even read about it much, but wanted to check out Android again for a while. Seems cool so far, obviously a big upgrade in speed and screen quality over the older iPhone I had. The screen really is quite amazing, and the photo quality is surprisingly good. Getting acquainted with Android again is easy enough.

Early battery life reviews seem good, which is a big selling point for me.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I gave my HTC M7 to daughter and I got the M9 2 years ago. M7 was fantastic the M9 is total crap. Last week I broke my M9 and borrowed my daughter's phone until I would decide to get the pixel or S8. Daughter's M7 is still great TBH. Most picture are pinkish just like yours but I was surprised on how great that phone still hold after almost 4 years. Minus the pikachu case it was great.

I finally got a S8+. Here they are 319$ with a plan but last week I tried to order it online with my provider and they had issues. They finally gave me rebate on my next few bills since I waited 5 hours on the phone last week end. In the end they gave me 190$, refunded activation fees on my next monthly bill.

I have been trying to get used to Samsung after 4 years of HTC. So far it's not as bad as I expected. The phone is pretty big and the screen is amazing.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Bought the s8 plus.

Battery life is true 3500mah and the screen is amazing, compared to the s7 edge plus I had with the wack battery and slowdown. Photos of my child are amazing and the gif making program is really going to blow the meme world up.

Really enjoying Samsung's products lately, I work for Verizon and I'm glad we finally have some new actually better devices instead of the super rehash we always see.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I have had my s8+ for a couple days now and it is pretty freaking good. The screen is amazing. I'm glad I upgraded from s7 edge.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Currently an iPhone S6 owner so keep the S8 reviews coming in. Thinking about going back to Android so I can install Kodi on it cause it gets boring at work and streaming movies would help the time go by quickly.