Smartphones

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
Google has every option for every problem about SMS/MMS with 15 different apps. Most are synkable throughout all other apps.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
I need good usb a to micro cables which support modern higher amperage charging, can anyone recommend any? I've tried a few now and even my oem one is failing because the spring tensioner on the micro clip gets BTFOd by gravity and or minor movement of the device.
USB cords (connector) are made to be less Hardy so your phone doesn't take a hit of damage by a sturdier USB connection. It's easier to change/replace the cord than to fix/replace the phone. Any viable new cord will fix your problem.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
For those OnePlusers... They are skipping OnePlus 4 (considered unlucky)
OnePlus 5 Phone is expected to be unveiled sometime in the 2nd ½ of '17, a 5.5-inch 2K display (1080x2048 pixels), Snapdragon 835 SoC, 8GB RAM/256GB Storage.
23-megapixel rear snapper with features like optical image stabilisation, zoom, and flash. 16-megapixel selfie snapper.
Claims suggest a dual-edged screen, hardware navigation keys, and the bezel slimmer than its predecessor. The fingerprint scanner at the back, and will be 7mm thin. May come with a Ceramic body.
Thoughts!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
USB cords (connector) are made to be less Hardy so your phone doesn't take a hit of damage by a sturdier USB connection. It's easier to change/replace the cord than to fix/replace the phone. Any viable new cord will fix your problem.

Yea but lately I've had a bunch that have just flat fallen apart even when rarely used. Some of them seem a bit cheaper built than they should be.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
The amazon basics micro usb cables are pretty well made. Don't know if they support the higher amp quick charging though. They were fine on my OnePlus One though.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm trying to make it to the Pixel 2 with my Nexus 6p but it's definitely showing its age. Shutting down at 15% sometimes and then sometimes the battery just drains apparently for no reason. Generally the battery is good until I go to bed or if I use it heavily by 6 or 7pm it will be dead but yesterday it was dead at 1pm even though I didn't do anything out of the ordinary with it. Also, I broke the back glass and didn't replace it for a while and the camera lens got black spots all over it. I tried various lens cleaning cloths and even resorted to scrubbing it with alcohol but nothing got rid of them so I just replaced the glass and the spots are permanent.

I don't know how people keep phones for 4 or 5 years. I find making it to two is almost impossible.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Every once in a while my 6P will poop out at 15% or so as well, although it seems to happen more often when it has been in cold winter temps or hot as hell summer temps. Total it has happened about 5-6 times so it isn't rampant for me. I really wanted the 6P to last me another year but I'll have to upgrade to the Pixel 2 this year as well.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Every once in a while my 6P will poop out at 15% or so as well, although it seems to happen more often when it has been in cold winter temps or hot as hell summer temps. Total it has happened about 5-6 times so it isn't rampant for me. I really wanted the 6P to last me another year but I'll have to upgrade to the Pixel 2 this year as well.

I'm in the same boat. The 6p is the first phone that I haven't wanted to get rid of, but 2 or 3 times in the last six months it has shut down between 15-20% battery. That is usually at around 9pm for me, though, so it isn't a huge deal.

Mainly I'm looking for the next gen of phones to see if someone comes out with a good balance between mid/high end specs with an awesome battery and dual front facing speakers. I just can't see going back to back or bottom speakers after the 6p.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
If what I heard on TWiT this week was correct, Apple doesn't even negotiate or pay the fees to Qualcomm directly. Foxconn does that, then charges Apple whatever they work out. This should be interesting, though I doubt a ban will happen.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yea but lately I've had a bunch that have just flat fallen apart even when rarely used. Some of them seem a bit cheaper built than they should be.
i just get like 10+ cables from china at like a buck each, their usually braided and have like extra plastic on connector, either ebay or aliexpress.

again note, if you're ordering from aliexpress, it'll take 20days, if you're ordering from ebay, it'll take 20days unless you specifiy US shipping only.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
If what I heard on TWiT this week was correct, Apple doesn't even negotiate or pay the fees to Qualcomm directly. Foxconn does that, then charges Apple whatever they work out. This should be interesting, though I doubt a ban will happen.
I don't think this will ever come to a ban either. This has already happened before with Samsung and there wasn't a ban then either. If it does, how will it affect the price of phones in the US?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I imagine that Qualcomm's cut is a very small percentage of the cost of an iphone. If Apple wins and the fee goes down, they'll just pocket it instead of dropping prices.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm upgrading to an S8 and I got a question about my current phone. I use a lot of text apps like WeChat and Kakao Talk, and last time I got a new phone, all those apps got 'locked out' after I signed in on my new phone. Essentially, the entire chat history and pics were deleted. I don't plan to use my current phone after receiving the S8, but the packrat/OCD guy inside me doesn't wanna lose all the chat history. Anyone know if an app such as Mobiwol: NoRoot Firewall - Android Apps on Google Play would achieve that? Blocking internet access for those apps so that they never check the server to see that I'm logged in on my new phone.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ordered a pair, I'll see how they do.

Anker success. Biggest thing is the actual housing around the connector seems to be more substantial. Last one had the plastic stain relief split due to the leaf spring and then the entire adapter bent down to conform with the spring...

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I can't wait for the Galaxy Note 8 to come out. I still have the 4, which is a really nice phone. Skipped the 5, then the 7 became a hand grenade. /sigh. I want a new one!

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I can't wait for the Galaxy Note 8 to come out. I still have the 4, which is a really nice phone. Skipped the 5, then the 7 became a hand grenade. /sigh. I want a new one!

My Note3 is finnaly on it's last leg, the CPU is over heating, waiting for the 8 to be announced or just gonna pick up a S8 by the end of the year...