Smartphones

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Currently an iPhone S6 owner so keep the S8 reviews coming in. Thinking about going back to Android so I can install Kodi on it cause it gets boring at work and streaming movies would help the time go by quickly.
Can do this on iPhone with the Plex app. If that's the only reason you're thinking of going Android.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Today I was looking for a new USB C cable for my S8+. All i saw was 20-30$range. I saw the wireless charger from Samsung at 40$ somewhere. I got it and I use the USB cable that came with the phone. When side saw the wireless charger with the S8 sitting on it she kinda got jealous.(she never used androids.)

The screen is amazing and battery life on the S8+ last quite a while.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, I have been using wireless charging almost exclusively (except in the car) for the last few generations. It's one of those things that once you use it, you will never go back to wires. Just another of many features that Apple is lacking that competitors have had for years.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Whelp, Nexus 6p developed the boot loader loop today. Can't get it to stop rebooting and it never gets past the word Google.

Fucking p.o.s. Bright side is they're sending a replacement out that should be here in a day or two, downside is it's a refurb.

Think I'm off the Nexus train after this phone. Have had the Nexus 5, 6, and 6p.

5 is dead, 6 is slow as shit, and obviously now the 6p is also dead.

So this is how people end up with iphones.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Whelp, Nexus 6p developed the boot loader loop today. Can't get it to stop rebooting and it never gets past the word Google.

Fucking p.o.s. Bright side is they're sending a replacement out that should be here in a day or two, downside is it's a refurb.

Think I'm off the Nexus train after this phone. Have had the Nexus 5, 6, and 6p.

5 is dead, 6 is slow as shit, and obviously now the 6p is also dead.

So this is how people end up with iphones.

It takes all of 5 minutes to reflash the Nexus 6P. Have you tried that?

This thread can walk you through it: [GUIDE] Unlock/Root/Flash for Nexus 6P

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
It takes all of 5 minutes to reflash the Nexus 6P. Have you done that?
The problem being this is a widespread problem with this phone and even if I could get it working again the root problem with the battery is still there. While it's under warranty I'd rather just get a replacement and hopefully get a phone that doesn't have the problem.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Also, anything I do ends up in the phone going straight back into the google logo. The replacement gets here tomorrow, if it's in bad shape or also has the problem then maybe I'll give it another shot.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Well, it doesn't matter anyways. I didn't really look into it after reading your comment. First news result: Nexus 6P Bootloop Nightmare Turns Your Phone into a Fancy Paperweight « Android Hacks

What happens is your device will reboot, then get stuck on the "Google" boot logo. No combination of button presses will get you out of this bootloop, and neither factory resetting nor flashing factory images will restore your phone to working order.
Word, thanks for your efforts anyways!

Crone

So I didn't realize that the S8+ deals were all pre-order only. So I missed out on free Gear VR (that may be still going actually), and for sure missed out on the extra trade in value. So the $33 a month I'm paying now coulda been dropped down to $15 a month and free gear VR and a new S8+ in my hands. FUCK!

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sounds like a carrier specific deal?

I am overseas and don't deal with that contract horseshit from the states, however, all the shops here have the free Gear VR offer with purchase of the S8. In fact, they did the same with the S7 and was never a limited time.

Crone

Sounds like a carrier specific deal?

I am overseas and don't deal with that contract horseshit from the states, however, all the shops here have the free Gear VR offer with purchase of the S8. In fact, they did the same with the S7 and was never a limited time.
Yea, the Gear VR is probably still going. It was a Verizon specific trade in deal, where they gave you $480 or something trade in for an S7 Edge towards an S8+, brought the device payment plan down to $15 a month. Pretty sweet deal.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
Don't think I can ever own a Samsung again. Very bad experience with the S3 I had for less than a month. It might have been that I used Motorola phones for ever (1998) and didn't know the mapping of Samsung.

And I just want to add that the S8+ and LG-G6 are to die for in the eye candy department.

When will they make a Nickel Silver phone that you pop in the new tech insides and be on your way?

Last edited:

Crone

So, Best Buy was still running the trade in promo through today for getting an S8+ for $15/month on Verizons DPP (Device Payment Plan).

So I went over there today, and figured out it's not worth it! The phone would have been nice to get, however to get the deal I would have had to pay off my current S7 Edge, which I'm only 6 months into, and then change my plan to an Unlimited plan, as that's what is required to get the "deal". That would have raised my monthly bill $50 a month. LOL....

Verizon sometimes has some decent deals and trade-in's, but this sure as shit wasn't one of them.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Im trying to take my Verizon S7 Edge to Sprint but keep hearing different bullshit from the subhumans who work there. So far Ive heard that it can be done no problem, it cant be done at all, and that I cant take both the phone and phone number. Does anybody know the answer to this simple question?