Smartphones

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
What more could you care about though? I feel like there isn't all that much room left to innovate on smartphones in general. Better camera, better processor, better motion tracking, and a finger print sensor are pretty cool upgrades if you ask me.
Everyone I speak to who experiences Google Now for the 1st time thinks it's pretty damn cool. Smartphone innovation = smartphone intuitively managing more of your life.

Cor_sl

shitlord
5c is ?469 unsubsidised for the 16gb, and the 5s is ?20 more expensive than the 5 at ?549 for the 16gb.

Overall, I'm underwhelmed. The 5c is way, way, way too expensive and the 5s doesn't seem like a big upgrade over the 5.

Also, these iPhone 5c cases are vile.

5c-case-hero-w-201309

What the fuck?

Neki

Molten Core Raider
iPhone 5c - 16GB ($99 + 2 year contract), 32GB ($199 + 2 year contract)

Did they seriously say this was a budget phone?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Reporter. Stock Pals CEO. Head of AI.
<Gold Donor>
So whats the verdict? Piece of a shit and an android rip off?

Neki

Molten Core Raider
So whats the verdict? Piece of a shit and an android rip off?
There will always be two camps

Pro Apple will say that 64bit processor, two flash camera, fingerprint scanner, Slo-mo video capture are amazing innovations and upgrades.

Anti Apple will say that 64bit processor won't make any significant difference to apps until much further down the road when apps are designed to take advantage of it, other features are just gimmicks (fingerprint scanner tech is not new, people who are serious about photography certainly won't be using their phones to take photos, slo-mo video? okay...), screen size still same as before, battery life is expected to be the same as 5.

I've never brought a Apple product before and I don't plan to buy one any time soon too. Just personal preference.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The sheer amount of people on my Facebook at the moment wishing they could fuck the new iPhone is both disheartening and annoying.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Isn't WP8 64 bit? Im confused. Still don't see why anyone cares atm since it still won't exceed 4 gb ram atm

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
How many people here actually lock their phones? I don't think I know anyone that does. Personally I want to be able to loan my phone to people and not have to re-authenticate every time the screen shuts off and I'm not overly concerned that someone would do that much damage even if they got ahold of my phone with nefarious intent. If the fingerprint scanner allows purchases and such in the future that might be interesting. If it's just to unlock the phone then it's going to be like Android's face recognition, something people try once, say "oh neat" and then never use again. Everything else (better processor, better camera, etc) is just boilerplate that is expected and required in every new device.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I don't want to ever loan my phone to anyone, so yes, I lock it. That said, I also don't want to scan my finger print. The Android unlock is quick/easy enough for me.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I lock mine, I don't trust people I work with to not mess with my phone and it prevents my kids from doing the same.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
The thing is, if you use fingerprint scanner on your phone then absolutely no one else can use it

Which is the purpose right? But how about times when members of your family wanted to just use your phone to make a call or your kids play on your apps for a while or lend it to a friend to make a call? It's pretty inconvenient to have to rescan your fingerprint every time the phone goes into lock screen to unlock it whilst someone else is using it.

Suitable for those who never let other people touch their phones I suppose

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
What more could you care about though? I feel like there isn't all that much room left to innovate on smartphones in general. Better camera, better processor, better motion tracking, and a finger print sensor are pretty cool upgrades if you ask me.
Thats kind of the point and really shows the irony of all these sham events.
I lock mine, I don't trust people I work with to not mess with my phone and it prevents my kids from doing the same.
I fucking hate that shit. I remember the first few weeks we where in Iraq one of the guys on my team changed my background pic on my laptop to a dick. I changed every single one of his windows sounds to tarzan boy's baltimora, every single one.

Never happened again.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Better camera and battery are most important things for me, they could include new features like wireless charging or shit like offline mapping/ music like nokia does

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Someone ordered a Lumia 1020 here at the office and I was surprisingly impressed. Solid phone, amazing camera, good battery life, and I was actually shocked that WP8 is actually pretty good. The only major fail I noticed is that WP8 doesn't support EAP-TLS for wireless, which is fucking retarded for any phone that is meant to be used in a corporate environment.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Bio-metric scanners like the iphone is going to have are easily faked. I'd rather have a passcode then that shit.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The thing is, if you use fingerprint scanner on your phone then absolutely no one else can use it

Which is the purpose right? But how about times when members of your family wanted to just use your phone to make a call or your kids play on your apps for a while or lend it to a friend to make a call? It's pretty inconvenient to have to rescan your fingerprint every time the phone goes into lock screen to unlock it whilst someone else is using it.

Suitable for those who never let other people touch their phones I suppose
You can scan multiple fingerprints in for unlocking in order to avoid this scenario.