Smartphones

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
What the fuck do you with 802.11ac on a freakin phone ? 300 mbps from N isn't enough ? You do realize the phone's internal storage won't be able to write that fast, right ?

I get your point about wireless charging or even NFC but 1 gbps wifi on a phone ? that's a waste of time, money, etc.

Cor_sl

shitlord
802.11ac hardware is more power efficient, iirc. It has some other benefits too - it's not just about speed.

I mean, it's not a deal breaker, but it is disappointing, especially considering Apple kept calling the 5s the 'most forward thinking iPhone yet!'.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
What the hell dont you understand about 64bits?? Thats TWICE the bits as current generation phones.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nothing coming up in Google news or Google Web searches...

Anyone hear anything on Sony xperia z1 carriers or release date? The xperia z1 mini looks freaking sweet as well. Smaller screen but all the same stats.

Also still seriously looking at the iPhone. Something to be said to have such huge app developer support. You never see something release on android first.
frown.png

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Iphone is better for game releases and that's really it.
Which I still don't understand, why are developers still releasing some games first(and some exclusively) on iOS, when Android has 80% of the phone market? It would be like Mac getting all the game releases first over Windows. Makes no sense to me at all.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I've read that developers find it easier to create games for iOS, and Android requires a lot more maintenance. This is just shit I read on the interslice. Take with salt grain.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
It could be any number of things. The lack of fragmentation does still make it easier to program for the iPhone I'd assume. Could be a little bit of lag from when Android actually over took the iPhone. Could be that iPhone users are more likely to spend money on that type of thing.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've never really even worried about it since I always have a fairly new phone, but if you try to purchase a new game with a pretty old Android phone, will the play store tell you that your hardware is too outdated and it won't run(or run well), or is there not any sort of check in place for that? I'd be kinda pissed if I bought a game on an old phone and it either didn't work at all, or ran like total crap, and there was no warning beforehand. It's not like you see system requirements on games in the app store.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Maybe iOS 7 will change impressions, but another thing I keep thinking about is all the "bloat" that Android phones seem to throw at you. Whether it's bloat software, or just bloat features that are gimmicky, don't work well, and are useless, beyond saying the phone has it. This has been a recent problem on Samsung phones, but it hasn't slowed them down, so I guess it's a matter of rather having it than not?

Just seems iOS is just cleaner, and simpler. Having never used an iPhone I could be way off, but as a user that doesn't use my smartphone for much, it's appealing not having to figure out all the "extra" shit.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I guess it just depends on personal preference, but I'd rather have too many features and choose not to use, or disable, some of them, than not have any option of those features at all.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Maybe iOS 7 will change impressions, but another thing I keep thinking about is all the "bloat" that Android phones seem to throw at you. Whether it's bloat software, or just bloat features that are gimmicky, don't work well, and are useless, beyond saying the phone has it. This has been a recent problem on Samsung phones, but it hasn't slowed them down, so I guess it's a matter of rather having it than not?

Just seems iOS is just cleaner, and simpler. Having never used an iPhone I could be way off, but as a user that doesn't use my smartphone for much, it's appealing not having to figure out all the "extra" shit.
No, this is pretty much how it's always been. It's just the same w/ Macs vs PCs really. I don't really agree with the statement that some people make that iOS is "easier" to use, but it is unquestionably "cleaner". You pay a premium for that cleanliness both in the price of the phone and the features that you aren't getting for your money.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
As far as why app developers make iOS a priority vs. Android, I'm pretty sure it comes down to dollars and cents. I thought I read somewhere that despite iOS now having a market share below 20%, the iTunes store still gets something like 60-70% of app revenues. iOS users spend more.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
No, this is pretty much how it's always been. It's just the same w/ Macs vs PCs really. I don't really agree with the statement that some people make that iOS is "easier" to use, but it is unquestionably "cleaner". You pay a premium for that cleanliness both in the price of the phone and the features that you aren't getting for your money.
How do you figure? The price of the new and fancy android phones on contract is the same exact price as the iphone so that isn't correct. The features you don't get on the iphone most people don't care about so that isn't correct.

Care to break it down with a premium android phone about how it is cheaper and has more features?