Smartphones

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Thats kind of the point and really shows the irony of all these sham events.

I fucking hate that shit. I remember the first few weeks we where in Iraq one of the guys on my team changed my background pic on my laptop to a dick. I changed every single one of his windows sounds to tarzan boy's baltimora, every single one.

Never happened again.
Baltimora's Tarzan Boy

Bio-metric scanners like the iphone is going to have are easily faked. I'd rather have a passcode then that shit.
Define easily faked?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Reporter. Stock Pals CEO. Head of AI.
<Gold Donor>
How many people here actually lock their phones? I don't think I know anyone that does. Personally I want to be able to loan my phone to people and not have to re-authenticate every time the screen shuts off and I'm not overly concerned that someone would do that much damage even if they got ahold of my phone with nefarious intent. If the fingerprint scanner allows purchases and such in the future that might be interesting. If it's just to unlock the phone then it's going to be like Android's face recognition, something people try once, say "oh neat" and then never use again. Everything else (better processor, better camera, etc) is just boilerplate that is expected and required in every new device.
not only do i lock my phone but i use a 8 character alphanumeric password instead of the swipe lock and i encrypt the SD card too

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
ITs not like you have to use the finger print scanner folks. But the camera stuff immediately made me hate my 5. Just kidding, as long as I get ios7 im still really happy compared to the droid razr I had. But the 5's pictures aren't as crisp as I thought they would be. No where near what they were showing on their keynote for the s.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I really wanted Apple to impress us with someone huge, but they didn't.

Now I'm not sure I want to make the switch to iOS from Android, even though I'm so bored with Android.
frown.png

Shooot.... why not just stick with my Droid Bionic.
frown.png

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
not only do i lock my phone but i use a 8 character alphanumeric password instead of the swipe lock and i encrypt the SD card too
Are you a drug dealer?

I would get on the biometrics bandwagon for sure if it could somehow replace passwords for all the websites I have to sign in to. I am so fucking sick of signing in to 100 different websites and having a bunch of passwords and shit to remember or more likely forget.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So apparently the 16GB 5c is $550 unlocked, just $100 cheaper than the 5s. Apple must be making a shitload of money on it at that price.

Cor_sl

shitlord
So apparently the 16GB 5c is $550 unlocked, just $100 cheaper than the 5s. Apple must be making a shitload of money on it at that price.
In the US, maybe, but I don't see it selling well anywhere else in the world. In growing markets like China, India, South East Asia, etc., very few people are going to buy 5cs when phones like the Xiami Red Rice (http://www.gizchina.com/2013/07/31/x...mt6589t-phone/), a pretty damn awesome phone for the price, is retailing for $130 brand new. In Europe, people will keep on buying mid range phones like the Xperias or the Galaxy Minis and what not. I see tons of those things around nowadays.

Edit -http://daringfireball.net/2013/09/iphone_5c_5c_event

I think Gruber has it right. The 5c will be the mainstream model, and the 5s will be the model for phone geeks. I can see this strategy working well in the US where people are too dumb to realise they're only saving $100 over two years by buying a cheaper phone. It won't work anywhere else, though.

Overall, the 5c feels slimy to me. It's not about making a better product for consumers: it's about improving Apple's profit margin. Fuck that.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
In the US, maybe, but I don't see it selling well anywhere else in the world. In growing markets like China, India, South East Asia, etc., very few people are going to buy 5cs when phones like the Xiami Red Rice (http://www.gizchina.com/2013/07/31/x...mt6589t-phone/), a pretty damn awesome phone for the price, is retailing for $130 brand new. In Europe, people will keep on buying mid range phones like the Xperias or the Galaxy Minis and what not. I see tons of those things around nowadays.

I think Gruber has it right. The 5c will be the mainstream model, and the 5s will be the model for phone geeks. I can see this strategy working well in the US where people are too dumb to realise they're only saving $100 over two years by buying a cheaper phone. It won't work anywhere else, though.

Overall, the 5c feels slimy to me. It's not about making a better product for consumers: it's about improving Apple's profit margin. Fuck that.
Like a lot of others I had thought it would be primarily marketed to emerging markets, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess it's just going to be the model that makes more money hats.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

if this is true Apple is fucked.

Selling the 5c in China was the point of creating it...

Cor_sl

shitlord
Like a lot of others I had thought it would be primarily marketed to emerging markets, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess it's just going to be the model that makes more money hats.
Well, investors were bitching about reduced profit margins on the iPad mini and the iPhone 5. I guess the 5c is Apple's answer to that criticism.

if this is true Apple is fucked.

Selling the 5c in China was the point of creating it...
It's quickly becoming obvious that that was never the plan, especially with the news that the iPhone 4 will live on in China (and perhaps some other markets, too?). The iPhone 4 is still ludicrously expensive though, coming in at 2,588 RMB (?268gbp/$423usd) for the 8gb model. I just don't see how Apple can make inroads in China, India, etc. at the moment with their phones priced so high compared to the competition.

Araex_sl

shitlord
I agree with sentiment. I feel 5c is really the first time that Apple is chasing profit instead of providing a better experience. My wild guess is Jobs' roadmap has ended and this is the direction that Apple is heading.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
BBC Business News - Apple's shares fall on emerging market concerns

Apple's shares fell more than 5% as investors worried that the firm's latest iPhone models may not help it increase its share in emerging markets.

It launched two models on Tuesday, the iPhone 5S and a cheaper iPhone 5C.

But the basic 5C model, with 16 gigabytes of storage, has been priced at ?469 ($740), which analysts said was still expensive for emerging markets.

Apple has found it tough to boost its share those markets against competition from firms such as Samsung and Huawei.

"Investors were put off that Apple's price point didn't go low enough to attract a new market," said Mark Luschini, chief investment strategist at Janney Montgomery Scott.

"It doesn't have the same range in price that Apple's competitors have," he added.

Apple shares closed at $467.7 on Wednesday, down by 5.4%.

Apple has enjoyed tremendous success in developed markets with its iPhone models.

However, it has not been able to repeat that in emerging economies such as China and India, not least because its products are relatively more expensive.

One of the key reasons has been that unlike the developed markets, many mobile carriers do not subsidise phones in these countries.

That makes low-cost phones a much more affordable option for consumers. Many had hoped that Apple would launch a low-end phone to try to lure those buyers.

"The pricing on the iPhone 5C is simply not low enough to adequately address the significant global growth opportunity that we believe exists with unsubsidized prepaid customers that have not yet bought a smartphone," said Walter Piecyk, an analyst with BTIG Research.

"We believe Apple is foregoing a valuable and relatively easy way to return to earnings growth.

"The real question is whether Apple plans to ever go after these markets or rather just remain a high-end phone maker."

Investors had also been hoping for an announcement of a deal with China Mobile, the world's biggest phone company with nearly 700 million subscribers - who could be potential customers of Apple's phones.

Analysts said that the lack of any announcement also hurt investor sentiment.
I mean seriously, what is the point of 5C?

It's not cheap enough to compete with mid to mid-lower end market (like the Nexus) and also it is not that much more cheaper than the 5S model. If I was interested in getting a Apple 5x then since I already going to be spending a few hundred on it anyway, I might as well dish out that extra little bit to get the 5S for a largely better specs. It's stuck in a really awkward place that neither interests many markets.

Maybe it's aimed at the 'cool' and 'hip' crowd with all it's bright colours and wacky cases /shrugs

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Wow, you know the reality distortion field is not working anymore when Apple stock drops after a new iPhone announcment.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I wonder if the big ring around the camera lens has some purpose or if it's just an aesthetic choice.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Took me a few seconds to realize the black thing in the middle of the first photo is the reflection of the camera
frown.png

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
JliLhik.jpg

Some Nexus 5 pictures were uploaded (accidentally?) to the FCC website. Phone looks good. The bezels are tiny.

Lots more here -http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/09...or-verizon-g2/
Looks like somebody at the FCC messed up. LG clearly had internal / external photos marked for 180 day short-term confidentiality. Actually nix that - the certification body that uploaded the documents messed up because the FCC filing system is all automated.

2 LTE bands, 802.11ac up to 390 Mbps.

I was a little surprised Apple didn't put 802.11ac on their newest - they are really getting behind on some of this stuff. They can downplay things like NFC and wireless charging, but being over a year behind on WiFi technology is another thing. I say over a year behind because we started seeing phones with 802.11ac early this year, and Apple probably won't get it on a phone until next summer at the earliest. Although I guess this is the same thing they did with LTE and that didn't really hurt them?