Smartphones

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I'm nervous about buying anything Google anymore because the volume sucks. :{. I have a Galaxy Nexus at the moment, and I can barely hear anything when listening to YouTube, Google music, etc. Is the Nexus 4 the same thing?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think the "middle of the road" thing is nonsense with regard to the Motorola X. Faster processors and more ram only make things better if you don't have enough to do what you want to do already. My Galaxy Nexus is nearly 2 years old now but it is still totally snappy so I see no reason that you need the highest end specs on a new phone. The tradeoff that motorola made with the X is that they used a slightly less powerful processor and a slightly lower resolution screen (but still "retina" quality) and tacked on another 6 hours of battery life. If you ask me, that battery life will make a much bigger impact on your satisfaction with the phone than having a 20% faster processor or an "even more retina" screen.

I am a few months from my upgrade but if I was getting one now it would be between the HTC One and the Motorola X and I'm leaning towards the X. I am done with Samsung and their cheaply made junk. I'm on my third Galaxy Nexus because the charging socket wouldn't last more than 8 months and the flimsy plastic back on it doesn't go on straight plus it has tabs broken off, etc. On top of that, the S4 has half of it's storage space taken up by Samsung crapware that you can't remove. I will look at the Note 3 when it comes out, but as of now my attitude is fuck Samsung.

Lusiphur

Peasant
I'm nervous about buying anything Google anymore because the volume sucks. :{. I have a Galaxy Nexus at the moment, and I can barely hear anything when listening to YouTube, Google music, etc. Is the Nexus 4 the same thing?
Galaxy Nexus is not Google btw its Samsung. I have no issues with the volume on the Google Nexus 4 for calls or music (via headphones).

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Galaxy Nexus is not Google btw its Samsung. I have no issues with the volume on the Google Nexus 4 for calls or music (via headphones).
I thought it was a continuation of their Nexus line, that just happened to be a collaboration between Samsung and Google?

I'm not talking about with headphones. I'm talking about speaker. I had to use Volume+ on my GNexus, but, Jellybean broke it.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Galaxy Nexus totally has shit speaker volume.

Nexus 7 is fine for speaker volume.

iPhone and iPad blow them both away for speaker volume and clarity in my experience.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I think the "middle of the road" thing is nonsense with regard to the Motorola X. Faster processors and more ram only make things better if you don't have enough to do what you want to do already.
All depends on what you are doing with it. I notice a big difference in processing power with a lot of the photo stuff (especially something like a "tiny globe" picture). Since I have basically replaced my point-and-shoot camera with my cell phone processing power in regards to that is important to me. Others, maybe not so much.

Yup, the Nexus 4 speaker is pretty mediocre. One thing I am not happy with it about. It isn't atrociously bad, but it is much worse than both my Bionic and Thunderbolt. I admittedly haven't tried any volume amp apps as of yet.

Saladus

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So I'm finally eligible for a phone upgrade, coming from galaxy nexus. Thank... God.... I loved this phone for maybe the first year, and then over time the battery life, and really slow performance just killed it for me. It's to the point where I'd rather not pull this phone out to look something up, because it takes 20 seconds for the keyboard to load up, another 20 seconds to see the text even loading as I type, 20 seconds for pages to load, etc.

So far I mainly have my eye on S4, HTC one, and iPhone 5 (with consideration of maybe the S coming out in the fall.) I'm curious for input from people here based on those phones. My most important factors for a new phone 1) Battery life, as a phone that dies in 5 hours is useless to me 2) how snappy the software is, as I get frustrated easily with laggy input... I want a phone where if I want to look shit up, I don't want to be saying "hang on.... Just another minute.." As far as ecosystem goes, I've enjoyed the Google ecosystem with things like music etc, but it's not a huge deal to me if I lost something like Google now.

Any input is appreciated!

Other future phones worth considering are the LG G2, Sony Z1 which looks fucking hot, and a little farther out it seems like there will be a Nexus 5 based on the G2. Pretty much any phone you pick these days will double or more the battery life of the Gnex, which was really its Achilles heel.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Everybody likes the HTC One except for the battery life which most people say is decidedly mediocre.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
If I could replace my phone today (GN) I'd get a Note 2. I wish Nexus had a Note.

Neph_sl

shitlord
I like my iPhone 5, but I would definitely wait until Sept 10 if you're considering an iPhone since the 5S and the 5C are on the horizon.

I actually hit 75% of my cap of 2 gigs yesterday -- I guess I've been watching too much Hearthstone on YouTube (30-60 min vids) and Twitch. Usually, when I hit the cap, it's close to the end of the month. But this time, I've got to watch my data for the next 20 days...

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have decided I am just not willing to spend the money on the note 3 and so I am back to trying to decide between the S4 and HTC1. so far most reviews are giving it to the HTC, other than a little bit faster processor can anyone tell me why the S4 might be better?

I pretty much will use it to browse the web and read, camera is midly important, storage space is not as I don't use my phone for video or music. Most important thing.to me is speed and ease of reading the screen for long periods of time.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
When I went to buy a new phone a couple months ago I was 100% set on an HTC One after reading all the reviews, however once I got in the store and used/viewed both side by side, I preferred the screen on the S4 to the HTC One. I'd highly recommend going to a store and looking at both before ordering one. The S4 screen is wider, and more vibrant from what I saw. Here's a decent, basic review of the screen differences:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-6452_7-...ung-galaxy-s4/

GS4_vs_HTC_One_Screens_rs_610x406.jpg

I know some people that prefer the HTC One screen, as they feel it looks more realistic, whereas the S4 is so vibrant that the colors can almost look a bit exaggerated and fake.(the pic above really doesn't illustrate the difference very well, it seemed more drastic than that when using them firsthand) It's really just personal preference. Definitely look at both extensively before deciding, there is a noticeable difference in the screens. And IMHO, the screen is one of, if not the most important factors in a mobile device. Everything you do involves the screen.

I still prefer the feel & build quality of the HTC case to the S4, but I'm not going to make my purchasing decision on how the back looks, or how the case "feels" over which screen I prefer, that's just too big of a factor to ignore.

The best way I can describe the screen differences is that the S4 seems more like a Plasma-quality screen, whereas the HTC One is more LCD/LED-ish. It's brighter, but the colors aren't as rich.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
How about waiting for the Nexus 5? Should be here within the next few months.

That is most probably going to be my next phone. Pure Android OS without the bloatware and first for OS updates seals the deal for me.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ok now it looks like art has the LG Optimus G Pro which seems interesting, anyone have any experience with this?

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Everybody likes the HTC One except for the battery life which most people say is decidedly mediocre.
Can't say I agree. I get amazing battery life with my HTC one. Yesterday, for example, I unplugged it at 7am and at midnight I had 45% battery. That's after several calls, two push email accounts running all day, checking Twitter and Facebook quite a bit, two weather apps running, etc.