Smartphones

Cor_sl

shitlord
Xiaomi, a prominent chinese smartphone manufacturer, just unveiled their newest phone, the MI3, and it's pretty damn impressive.

nVidia Tegra 4 (China only) or Snapdragon 800
5-inch FHD IPS-Display
2 GB LPDDR3 RAM
16/64GB ROM
13MP Sony Exmor RS CMOS back camera
2MP front camera
Photos can be shot in RAW format
145g
144 x 73.6 x 8.1mm
3050maH battery
327$ | 16GB
408$ | 64GB

Really great specs for the price.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Was looking at the Sony Xperia Z1 today. The camera looks awesome, while the other specs on it look legit.

Just picked up a Nexus 7, so while I was a huge fan of the Note 3, and still am, I won't be getting it.

Choices now are LG G2, Sony Xperia Z1, Samsung S4, or iPhone 5s.

It's like smart phone heaven this year. So much awesome stuff coming!

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
LG G2 confirmed for Verizon and at&t on the 12th and 13th, online orders for att start tomorrow.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Here is the Note 3

Exynos 5420 1.9 GHz or Snapdragon 800 2.3 GHz (LTE) SoC's
5.7" Super AMOLED Full HD Display - 1080 x 1920
3GB RAM
13MP with UHD recording - 1080p @ 60 fps, with 2MP Front Camera
Android 4.3
3200mAh instead of 3100mAh battery
Weighs 168g
Ultra High Quality Audio (192KHz, 24 bit) support
8.3mm instead of 9.4mm thickness
32 or 64GB internal storage with microSD slot

Release date: September 25th for 140 countries and globally in October

Specs look real similar to the rumored Nexus 5 specs, only the screen is a half inch bigger, as well as a bigger battery.
Why couldnt they make it waterproof like Sony did with their note device?
frown.png

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That seems more like a gimmick than anything else. Seriously going to drop it in water and expect it to be still fully functional? Water resistant? Maybe. Water proof? Don't believe it until I see some dude demo it on YouTube or something Lol

Lusiphur

Peasant
Dang, the Nexus 5 seems almost kind of tempting. I love my Nexus 4, but 0.5" of extra screen real estate seems like a pretty awesome compromise between a larger screen and keeping the phone in my pocket. I really have almost nothing to complain about on the Nexus 4, outside of shitty speakers and lack of memory expansion.
Kuriin said the same thing and I am genuinely confused at anyone who expects even acceptable quality from internal phone or tablet speakers. Basic physics says they are always going to suck. This is what earbuds are for surely?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Nobody expects the THX theater experience from a tablet or a phone, but it's nice if if you want to show somebody or a group of people a youtube video or something the speakers are at least loud enough that they can hear them and understand what people are saying and a lot of tablets/phones and even some laptops fall short of this.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Kuriin said the same thing and I am genuinely confused at anyone who expects even acceptable quality from internal phone or tablet speakers. Basic physics says they are always going to suck. This is what earbuds are for surely?
My HTC Incredible was fucking loud. I mean fucking loud. The speakers. I could use the alarm and my fan and I would wake up to the alarm. My Galaxy Nexus is barely audible.

I am not going to sleep with fucking earbuds just to hear my alarm. Thx.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
What Brutul said. The speaker is on the back of the Nexus 4 as well, which doesn't help things. I haven't personally heard the HTC One, but it's got stereo speakers on the front. I would imagine it's a pretty big leap over the Nexus 4 in terms of sound volume and quality. I wasn't saying that it was a major problem with the Nexus 4, just that it's one of really only a small handful of complaints I have with it despite otherwise being thrilled with the phone.

Saladus

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My HTC Incredible was fucking loud. I mean fucking loud. The speakers. I could use the alarm and my fan and I would wake up to the alarm. My Galaxy Nexus is barely audible.

I am not going to sleep with fucking earbuds just to hear my alarm. Thx.
Obligatory...

rrr_img_42686.jpg

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I think I might just pull the trigger and get a HTC One. The Incredible had amazing speakers. That or an iPhone. :|

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pulled the trigger on the G2 gonna need to learn the whole the new ecosystem, I've been on windows since wp7 came out, anyone got good recommendations for must have apps?

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Pulled the trigger on the G2 gonna need to learn the whole the new ecosystem, I've been on windows since wp7 came out, anyone got good recommendations for must have apps?
Whoops NM read it wrong. Thought you meant you need to get used to WP8 lol

Just going to leave this in case someone needs some apps lol
Audacity for downloading music
ESPN
PC Remote Sever server
Burton for snowboarding
Whatsapp
Theres and app for finding apps that are on IOS/Android but cant find on WP8
Maybe winamp?
Runtastic if you exercise a lot
Shopping list
Wizi tiles if you like customizing or just connectivity tiles there is a bunch out there
Also look at the different power/battery apps
Burton for snowboarding
4th and mayor for finding stuff in a new city

opiate82

Bronze Squire
When I go to bed I listen to a podcast from my favorite local radio show before I go to sleep. On the Nexus 4 I cannot hear it over either my window fan (summer) or heater blower (winter) when the phone right next to my head on my nightstand. My other two most recent phones (HTC Thunderbolt and Droid Bionic) I didn't even have to have the volume all the way up to hear over either of those two things. No way I could lay down in bed with earbuds in.

Another time it comes into play is with the ringer. If I am in a semi-loud environment I cannot hear it ring which can be bad for me if there's an emergency at work. Vibration takes care of most of the issue but if my phone is in a cargo pocket I can't feel it either.

The speaker volume is by no means a deal-breaker for me, but it is a legitimate criticism of the phone.

The display ram for panel self refresh is a big part of that battery life. Since someone finally pulled the trigger on including it we may see it start to show up in high end phones and (hopefully) laptops over the next year.