Smokers / Grills

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Bumping this to see if everyone is still satisfied with their choice of Grill / Smoker. Probably getting on for Christmas and am leaning toward the Green Mountain Grill as a combo Grill/Smoker, leaning towards the Davey Crockett since it is just the wife and I and we don't entertain.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I don't know if I posted here, but a lot of cooks/chefs make their own. You just buy a Chef's locker (any tall locker will do), and borrow an acetylene torch, and viola, pretty much a 1500-2500 smoker for a hundred bucks.

edit: I will post next week some sauce, I just need to ask a few friends. I know at least 10-15 people who have done this, and still use them at their restaurants. As for grills, my favorite is the douchebag who cut an oil barrel in half to roast whole pigs. I imagine that's a pretty everyday trick, but I still crack up when I see it.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
That's a ton of pellets. Literally
It's ridiculous but I'm tired of overpaying for them by the bag so bought them in bulk. Significant savings. Usually buy 40lb bags delivered for 32-45 depending on brand and flavor. Cooking pellets on amazon used to be 28ish but now running closer to low to mid 30's. Got the 1 ton delivered to my garage for $17 per bag. Was able to get a mixed and matched pallet so have a ton of variety on there as well. Got some randoms on the net and a few friends to buy in and about half that pallet is gone so it ended up being a good deal without being completely crazy.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I don't know if I posted here, but a lot of cooks/chefs make their own. You just buy a Chef's locker (any tall locker will do), and borrow an acetylene torch, and viola, pretty much a 1500-2500 smoker for a hundred bucks.
googled, didn't really find locker smoker, found tons of results for file cabinet smoker, seems like a better idea, since you get the pull out drawers and everything, actually it looks pretty sweet.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
You know that is cool and all but not sure I'd want to take the chance that the paint and other stuff used to make that is safe at cooking temperatures.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
2,000 lbs of pellets arrived today.

rrr_img_119942.jpg

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My GMG Davy Crockett finally came in. Ordered it before Christmas and took until just today for the dealer to get it in stock. Good thing it is January and 70 degrees outside so I can use it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Almost burned the house down... Started up the grill, let it go through the initialization, set the temp to 225. Watched it, watched it, 200, 225, 228, 231, 250, and so on. Went up to 500 and leveled off for a bit and waited to see if it'd drop. Nope, 512, 520, 530.

Stupidly hit the power button and then quickly realized that turned on the fan. Damn thing shot up to 700 degrees and I just yanked the power. Had the fire extinguisher ready and 911 queued up lol.

Going to call their support line tomorrow and see what might be going on and if I've broken anything.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm close to getting a Yoder YS480 this summer. My neighbor has a GMG another friend has a traeger - they put out some wonderful food.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I've been thinking about a GMG lately but that Yoder looks pretty badass. I like the electronic controls/smartphone app on the GMG but the Yoder seems to be built a lot heavier. There also seems to not be a Yoder dealership within 300 miles of me.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I've been thinking about a GMG lately but that Yoder looks pretty badass. I like the electronic controls/smartphone app on the GMG but the Yoder seems to be built a lot heavier. There also seems to not be a Yoder dealership within 300 miles of me.
Ya that's the difference. My neighbor has the GMG and the app is pretty cool and all but he really don't use hit much. Also with the GMG I guess the customer service is awesome. He had a slight issue with the wifi board and called and they had a new one over nighted to him instantly.

One thing though i've read about the Yoder is it's a bit of a pellet hog but because of this it pushes more smoke flavor. It also has pretty cool looking grill grates you can put on the left side over the flame to get some more traditional grilling done, watched a vid of a dude doing steaks. Pretty sure you can order grill grates for any pellet smokers though.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Almost burned the house down... Started up the grill, let it go through the initialization, set the temp to 225. Watched it, watched it, 200, 225, 228, 231, 250, and so on. Went up to 500 and leveled off for a bit and waited to see if it'd drop. Nope, 512, 520, 530.

Stupidly hit the power button and then quickly realized that turned on the fan. Damn thing shot up to 700 degrees and I just yanked the power. Had the fire extinguisher ready and 911 queued up lol.

Going to call their support line tomorrow and see what might be going on and if I've broken anything.
lul, 700 degrees haha.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
lul, 700 degrees haha.
Over filled the fire pot and they all caught on fire after it ignited. Was pretty funny. It has been smooth sailing since then though. Even with the smallest model we've done 9 - 10 lb Butts, racks of ribs, whole chickens, salmon. It has been awesome, need to get some more pellets though, especially since it is summer time.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My Weber gas grill can get almost that hot. I burned the shit out of some chicken on it the other day because I just cranked it and then put the chicken in for 5 minutes without checking it. The BGE can get that hot if everything is right also. Makes a great steak but you have to be careful not to BBQ your hands while you're turning them.

I am also disappointed to learn that the GMG app only works on the same wifi network or directly connected to a smartphone. I was imagining that you could keep an eye on your cook from anywhere with internet access. If it's just on your LAN then it's a lot less useful.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
You can, it takes some setup in your router, but there's no reason you couldn't connect it to your home WiFi and give it a route to hit the GMG from your cell phone. That I can think of at least. Haven't tried it yet but seems like it shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I'm investing in one of the kamado style grills, my dependable propane grill is starting to be on it's last legs- but it IS 12 years old.

yes i am cheaping out-sort of-, getting one of the vision grills for 700 and the lava stone insert for another 50..and a rib rack. going to -attempt to - smoke some baby back ribs sunday.

picking it up today @homedepot.

main website-version that is at HD:

Kamado Grills, Smoker, Professional S-Series | Vision Grills