Smokers / Grills

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
That one was done in about 13 hours at 250. Foil after int temp hit 160.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
What temp did you take it out to rest?

Mine Saturday came out great, I did mine at 275 (9lb)for 7hr until Internal temp hit 180, then 2hr in foil until 200, rested for 45 minutes then shredded/pulled/ate - one book I have said to rest for 2 hrs before pulling. I used a North Carolina vinegar sauce to use for the sandwiches, came out great.

Yesterday we had a memorial day cookout at my fathers, boys went swimming though it was only 60 out. weather was crappy but better than today, I did 3 racks of baby back ribs prior to leaving the house, 3.5 hrs at 235, 30 minutes foil ( brown sugar coating on racks, then a honey water with a bit hot sauce mixed in), foil off, juices/liquid from one rack poured into bowl, whisked with stubbs original bbq sauce, then meat on grill meat side down, basted with bbq sauce, 10 minutes, flipped, basted 20 minutes on grill to finish, wrapped in foil then in cooler to stay hot.

2 racks got devoured, 3rd rack got sent home cut up 3.5hrs later.. they were still hot in the cooler.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I need advice on a grill for myself. I've finally moved to a location that I can grill at, and it has been well over 20 years since I could. I have no idea what the current cool stuff is, nor have I done any real grilling in all that time, so ease of use would be a plus.

I only need at most a grill to feed 2 people, usually just 1 because I'm forever alone. I am extremely lazy and impatient, so gas appeals to me, but my understanding is that I'll probably end up spending a lot more for that. I'm looking to stay cheap-ish for now, at least until grilling is a several day a week thing and I feel like saving up for something much nicer.

As said, I'd prefer gas just for convenience and time. Is there anything even remotely decent that I'm going to be able to get? If so, recommendations? I read this whole thread, but most of it is higher end than what I'm going to be looking at.

And if I can't get anything decent with gas, what are the best briquet choices?

Thanks in advance.

(I could swear I asked this question several years ago when I was considering moving and got some suggestions, but it isn't in this thread. Maybe the shit I just bought thread? Or maybe it was even on FoH. Either way, I imagine things have changed in terms of brands and such.)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Cheap gas grills make me want to kill myself (I have to cook on my Mom's all the time). The only "good" grill that you can get really cheap is the weber kettle (or the smokey joe if it's just you) but those are charcoal. Briquets aren't really all that important, you will find a lot of discussion about it, but people who have really researched it find that charcoal is charcoal for the most part.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
What is the budget, because once we know that, we can recommend options

Weber is always good start at ~400 for gas

Under that, maybe nexgrill but generally I would not get anything under 200 and expect it to last more than a few yrs.

Siliconemelons

I am still rocking my pro-infared charbroil it would have been long gone if it was not the "pro" one that has cast iron grates that sit on the infared plates - because the ones that cook directly on the infared plates - they get nasty VERY fast - and I seasoned and oiled both sides of those things and they still got rusty. However - it still cooks great and is gas efficient.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, definitely under $400, so I guess charcoal it is :(

The Green Mountain I got two Christmas ago is $349 now, maybe less of you have a local distributor. It has been perfect for the two of us and easy to grill or smoke on.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The Green Mountain I got two Christmas ago is $349 now, maybe less of you have a local distributor. It has been perfect for the two of us and easy to grill or smoke on.
Well, I was hoping to be significantly under $400 (that's just the price he mentioned), but that Davy Crockett looks really fucking nice, and right up my alley. Never used pellets before, is it pretty easy for even the simple-minded like myself? Pellets actually appeal to me more than both other options, I just forgot it was even a thing.

I'd have to wait awhile to get something like that, but it might be worth it if it is going to last me longer and be more convenient. Any further info about it would be appreciated.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Well, I was hoping to be significantly under $400 (that's just the price he mentioned), but that Davy Crockett looks really fucking nice, and right up my alley. Never used pellets before, is it pretty easy for even the simple-minded like myself? Pellets actually appeal to me more than both other options, I just forgot it was even a thing.

I'd have to wait awhile to get something like that, but it might be worth it if it is going to last me longer and be more convenient. Any further info about it would be appreciated.

Other die hards will have to chime in with pros and cons at their level of grilling or smoking. Personally we just use it to do ribs, boston butt, burgers, chicken, fish. We're not competitive grillers or hardcore.

It is pretty easy to operate though. Fill up your tank with pellets, press the on button, and dial in a temperature. At low smokes the pellets aren't consumed very fast. Think I've done a 12 hour smoke without having to refill. So a large fertilizer or top soil size bag will last a while. Pretty sure clean up is consistent with any other grill as far as maintaining the grates or anything else that dirties up the grill. It is the part that I'm absolutely terrible at.

This is the first grill we've ever owned and other than almost burning the house down the first night it has been really easy. For the two of us it has been large enough to hold up to a 9 lb roast, probably could go a tad bit larger.

Seemed to offer good flexibility and point to start for learning how to grill a variety of things. Don't have to worry about propane tank storage or refills. And gets up to temp fairly quick. We have a gas line nearby for the fireplace so was considering getting something I could run to that, but ended up with the Davy Crockett and have been happy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
A lot of people really like the pellet grills. I think that they make a better smoker than a grill, since most of them have a hard time getting super hot to sear steaks but maybe with some grillgrates you could even do that. I think that the pellets are a bit more expensive than charcoal/gas/electric, but it's not that bad. Seems to be the best balance of "set it and forget it" convenience and actually cooking over wood.

Speaking of pellet grills, did Kiroy Kiroy ever get that Yoder? I've been thinking about those ever since you posted about getting one. It's hard to justify the price, but I really like the looks of them.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
A lot of people really like the pellet grills. I think that they make a better smoker than a grill, since most of them have a hard time getting super hot to sear steaks but maybe with some grillgrates you could even do that. I think that the pellets are a bit more expensive than charcoal/gas/electric, but it's not that bad. Seems to be the best balance of "set it and forget it" convenience and actually cooking over wood.

Speaking of pellet grills, did Kiroy Kiroy ever get that Yoder? I've been thinking about those ever since you posted about getting one. It's hard to justify the price, but I really like the looks of them.

I never did no, still been looking though, maybe this summer. I really want one and when I get a pellet that's what I'm getting.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Yeah I think my GMG only lets you set it up to 550? It'll get hotter, mine has been to 700 or something but that isn't recommend. We definitely don't try and sear steaks on it.

That's why we sous vide.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
My intention is to get the most basic weber w/ ash removal and add this slow n sear seems to be all the rage in smoking. it's basically a 5lb block of machined aluminum and a water trench.

I'm sure whatever neighbors i end up w/ in Kansas they'll be smoking and grilling like crazy, time to show em all up.

I'll be bringing along my dads Char Siu recipe
1060446.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah my dad gave me his 20 yr old webber gas grill last year after he got a new one for fathers day. He did keep it in the garage and just pulled it out to grill, but still, 20 fucking years and the thing is like brand new. Just had to replace the heat/flame baffles below the cast iron grill grates ($40 for set) and its literally like brand new. Also had to do a throrough cleaning, scraping and re season the griling grates since they were all gunked up with shit.

I like having a gas grill like this around, I mean everyone should. Fast cheap meals in the summer. Shis kabobs, grilled chicken, steaks, burgers, fish, shrimp veggies... all basically 20 min or less. dont get me wrong I love my smokers and charcoal shit, but thats more like and all day event on special ocasions, the gas grill is basically my everyday summertime range top.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
My intention is to get the most basic weber w/ ash removal and add this slow n sear seems to be all the rage in smoking. it's basically a 5lb block of machined aluminum and a water trench.

I'm sure whatever neighbors i end up w/ in Kansas they'll be smoking and grilling like crazy, time to show em all up.

I'll be bringing along my dads Char Siu recipe
1060446.jpg

Lanx, do you mind posting his recipe? Love me some Char Siu.