Smokers / Grills

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They are great, but not so great for everyday type grilling, just too much pain in the ass. I just use mine for the long all day smoking or even roasting in the summer. IF I want some steaks or chicken breast, I grill those on my gas weber.

Dont get me wrong, you can still do quick BBQ type shit, its just too much pain to start the fire, stoke it and adjust the temp to just where you want it.

They are also great for wok stir frys. and pizza.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I still gotta take my bge in to be replaced. The green paint is peeling off on the dome.

Lifetime warranty!

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Gas grill still works well, but I want to experiment with smoking/bbq...forgot to buy the electric starter, but every thing is bought and in the car, just have to get help getting it out of the car, thing weighs like 200 lbs.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have a weber gas grill and a BGE but I'm still thinking about getting a pellet smoker. I have smoked some good shit in the BGE and if I had weekends off I would be all about sitting in the yard drinking beer and babysitting my smoker but I just don't have that kind of free time. I need to be able to set the thing and then check on it 3 hours later if I'm going to smoke stuff.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Da fuuuc..

8c03ef44e9a93aa64de8c0431a46acb0.jpg

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Good God at the size of that egg...... perfect for the cannibal in the family, grill roast suckling child in 3 hrs.....

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Are they going to call the rest of them little green eggs now?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
the 2 knob dials at the bottom are the grill grate dials for airflow- can dial by number, the middle knob on the bottom is a handle to open the ash tray, the electric charcoal starter wand picture is a slot flap to insert said electric charcoal starter, once it is all lit, remove the starter & close the lid, then press in to seal opening, to prevent extra airflow. the vent on top has 3 "settings" as well, to keep the grill @~230-240 the top dial was on about 1/4 open between 0 and 1, and the bottom dials, the right one was closed, left one was at ~1/3rd from 0 to 1-having both dials at that number temp rose over 240.

after 3.5ish hrs i removed the ribs from the racks, brushed with butter, then rubbed a good coating of brown sugar on, wrapped in foil, poured in a bit of apple cider, put back on grill for 30 minutes, turned grill up to about 350-400, , unwrapped ribs, removed foil and let the brown sugar glaze caramelize for 10 minutes..

half rack (forgot to take picture of the whole thing)

half Rack of Ribs

sliced
sliced ribs

family devoured the ribs, wife said that the ribs tasted better than the 3 local bbq places in the area that we have eaten at recently, i agreed with her

next smoking experiment will be pulled pork,,,

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I made many a of ribs in my komodo. Only thing is that I really don't like too much smoke flavor. First few I tried I only put like 2 chunks of applewood mixed with the lump and it was just too damned smokey. Even the wife didn't like them. So I just omit the smoking wood when I do them now. The lump alone gives it just enough kiss of smoke for us. I also use it to roast, se the temp to like 350-375 and put one of those aluminum baking dishes, with a shoulder roast, a bit of mirepoix and red wine. 3-3.5 hours. Last hour or so add some redskin potatoes on the upper shelf with garlic and oil and some spices. Perfect in the summer when its just too damned hot to bake inside.

Get yourself one of these to make the temp thing a breeze.

Ivation Extended Range Wireless Cooking Thermometer

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
shows how people's tastes are different, we all loved how the ribs came out, i used 2 chunks of mesquite and about 6 chunks of apple- i have not looked as of yet as to how much chunk is left. ( i have mesquite cherry and apple on hand currently, will pick up a bag of pecan sometime) brought the leftover ribs to work for lunch, letting my coworker have one or two.

as for temp gauge, i bought a maverick et732

Amazon.com : Maverick Et-732 Remote Bbq Smoker Thermometer : Grill Parts : Patio, Lawn Garden

not quite as versatile as that ivation or the maverick et733...

Edit:
checked the grill- about half of the chunk charcoal is left from sunday's 4hr cooking session.

asked the wife- smoked wings, pulled pork or turkey next? she chose pulled pork-picked up the pork butt today for saturday.

found out something sorta neat. there is a 25k propane gas burner insert avail for the grill- just pull out the ash tray, insert the propane "tray", open grill, remove the ash grate, replace with the heat deflector, done- costs 250...

and for my birthday i think i am going to ask for a bbq guru & get the adaptor plate for 25 bucks (plate goes into the starter slot instead of the airflow grate area)

for anything looking to get into bbq amazon has a lot of "kindle" bbq books on sale for cheap money - bbq bible, bbq bible-sauces etc, how to grill, and several other books for 3 bucks or less. the bbq bible-sauces rubs marinates etc is on kindle unlimited.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I'm close to getting a Yoder YS480 this summer. My neighbor has a GMG another friend has a traeger - they put out some wonderful food.
God damn you. I have been obsessively reading about Yoder pellet grills ever since you posted this. Now GMGs and traegers look like such a piece of junk by comparison. You are going to wind up costing me $1000 over the GMGs I was looking at.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
shows how people's tastes are different, we all loved how the ribs came out, i used 2 chunks of mesquite and about 6 chunks of apple- i have not looked as of yet as to how much chunk is left. ( i have mesquite cherry and apple on hand currently, will pick up a bag of pecan sometime) brought the leftover ribs to work for lunch, letting my coworker have one or two.

as for temp gauge, i bought a maverick et732

Amazon.com : Maverick Et-732 Remote Bbq Smoker Thermometer : Grill Parts : Patio, Lawn Garden

not quite as versatile as that ivation or the maverick et733...

Edit:
checked the grill- about half of the chunk charcoal is left from sunday's 4hr cooking session.

asked the wife- smoked wings, pulled pork or turkey next? she chose pulled pork-picked up the pork butt today for saturday.

found out something sorta neat. there is a 25k propane gas burner insert avail for the grill- just pull out the ash tray, insert the propane "tray", open grill, remove the ash grate, replace with the heat deflector, done- costs 250...

and for my birthday i think i am going to ask for a bbq guru & get the adaptor plate for 25 bucks (plate goes into the starter slot instead of the airflow grate area)

for anything looking to get into bbq amazon has a lot of "kindle" bbq books on sale for cheap money - bbq bible, bbq bible-sauces etc, how to grill, and several other books for 3 bucks or less. the bbq bible-sauces rubs marinates etc is on kindle unlimited.
Thats what I want for my komodo is one of those temp control units. You mount it on the air intake below and make sure its relatively air tight, then set the temp and the fan will blow just enough air to keep a steady temp for days if you have enough lump in there.

DigiQ Black Kit For Akorn/King Griller Cookersbut there are others that do the same thing. I guess if you were good with electronics you could build one yourself using a small computer fan.

but honestly I only use the thing like 4-5 times a year, and make an all day affair out of it and its kind of fun just to putz around with it, while drinking some cold ones by the pool. So its down the list of necessities, really.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I have one of those and it's definitely better than nothing, but it's still not exactly set it and forget it. The one I have is the stoker. (Buyers Guide - Stoker Cooker Compatibility) My favorite thing I have used it for was when we cooked a pig for my Mom's wedding. The thing was cooking all night and I just had my laptop next to the bed plotting 4 temp probes and I could just wake up once an hour, look at the plots, and go back to sleep. Loved it. We did that on a propane grill so the stoker wasn't actually controlling the heat, just monitoring temps but that alone was worth the money to me.

L6DfZxt.jpg

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
damn sweet looking grill. those pigs look awesome.

bar near to my work is selling their older competition bbq trailer/hut (not that i am going to get into THAT..- too damn busy -but my wife says i cooked the ribs better than any of the local bbq places in the area.-that have won contests, of course contest cooking and mass market(ie restaurant) cooking would be different)

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
The grill was a rental sadly, but yeah it was awesome. It was arguably a really stupid idea to do a pig on a grill we had never used before when we needed to feed 300 people but it turned out great.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Great that it turned out well.

Bbq guru came today, just in time for the pulled pork attempt tomorrow, and, Sunday my parents are having a cookout at 2 ish, so I am going to grab some ribs from the butcher tomorrow and bring 3 finished racks of ribs to the cookout wrapped in foil in a cooler.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Hosting a birthday party tomorrow and got a 12 lbs pork shoulder on the BGE today. Picked up a big bag of hickory wood chunks as well.

I used to do these cooks the same day as the event but it's so much easier to do it the day before and reheat in the stove.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Damn what is 12 lbs going to run you? My 9 lb ones are like 12 - 13 hour smokes. I didn't foil the first couple, the last one I did and it cut a little time off the total cook.