So about that no such thing as voter fraud?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The less their race votes republican the more of an issue it is.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I was registered to vote in both Indiana and Missouri for years despite telling Missouri via letters and filling out that "I've moved" form every time my mom received a new voter location card in the mail. I'm still not sure they worked it out.

I vote incompetence over fraud. Plus how many people share their mothers or fathers names?
At one time, I was registered to vote in 4 places. I only realized it when I got a jury summons at my mom's address. When I called them, they told me the jury pool came from the eligible voter rolls, and that there was no way to remove yourself from those rolls. You are supposed to just fall off after a period of time (10 years I think). So since I had just graduated and had moved around a lot in the previous few years, I was still registered in all those places. Anyway, I'm not saying I did anything with those multiple registrations. But W did win that next election, so draw your own conclusions.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
How does race factor into this?
The documents demanded to "prevent voter fraud" are documents that economically depressed people are less likely to have. Suppress the economically depressed, and you'll find you're suppressing the Black and Latino vote. Especially in the areas that are pressing for this.

It's pretty disgusting, actually.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
This is the natural result of having the so much of the voting process managed at the state level. You could institute voter ID requirements from coast to coast, but unless there is a system of centralizing participation data to make it immediately accessible during the voting period, the fraud potential raised by the article will still be there.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The documents demanded to "prevent voter fraud" are documents that economically depressed people are less likely to have. Suppress the economically depressed, and you'll find you're suppressing the Black and Latino vote. Especially in the areas that are pressing for this.

It's pretty disgusting, actually.
Us whiteys really fucked up when we let the Asians move up in the socioeconomic ladder a bit. CA is practically run by Asians now. It disgusts me.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
35k seems about normal for voter abnormalities in elections. Voter fraud is a real issue and we should continue to deal with it in a serious manner, but I have a hard time seeing this as some crazy scandal.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Us whiteys really fucked up when we let the Asians move up in the socioeconomic ladder a bit. CA is practically run by Asians now. It disgusts me.
Well, it was being run by a barely literate Austrian who was elected because he made movies where he beat people up. Would you say this is a step up, or a step down?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
If the problem is you're registered in 4 places, how does your ID come into play? You can just show your ID at the 4 different places, right?

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So if there's a Tuco Ramirez born in 1956 and he votes in North Carolina, and I vote in any other state, that would be entered in those 35,750 right?

4.5 million people voted in NC. 130 million voted in US total.

So how many of those 4.5 million voters in NC have someone else that voted with the same name/dob? I'd bet the end result would be close to 35,000....
If he was born on the same day as you and had same first four digits of his social security number matching your then yes.

But lets be honest that wont happen.

The reality here is people are voting twice intentionally are identity theft is happening.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Deja vu? From 2005:http://brennan.3cdn.net/9d1efbddb2c4..._pom6bx3bk.pdf

Our review reveals several serious problems with the methodology used to
compile the suspect lists that compromise the lists' practical value. For example, the data
used in the report from one county appears to be particularly suspect and anomalous, and
may have substantially skewed the overall results. In addition, middle initials were
ignored throughout all counties, so that "J_____ A. Smith" was presumed to be the same
person as "J_____ G. Smith."1
Suffixes were also ignored, so that fathers and sons - like
"B_____ Johnson" and "B_____ Johnson, Jr." - were said to be the same person.

[...]

It also explains the extremely
low incidence of individuals who appear to vote three or more times: it is relatively rare
that three "false positives" will all be tied to each other, unless the data to be matched is
extremely common. And that it is why it is also no surprise that among the 27 citizens
labeled on the suspect lists as voting three or more times in 2004, we find individuals
with extremely common names, like "P_____ Smith" or "R_____ Miller," or "L_____
Wong.

[...]

Imagine that our group contains all of the registered New Jersey voters with a
given first name and last name - such as all of the 417 Robert Smiths who are listed on
New Jersey records as voting in 2004. The probability that at least two of these 417
individuals have the same birth date - day, month, and year - approaches 100%. The fact
that two Robert Smiths with the same birthday voted in 2004 thus indicates not voter
fraud, but a straightforward application of the "Birthday Problem."
I'm going to guess they didn't fix their methodology since.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
First batch of every SSN I've seen, and I've seen a ton in hiring is XXX-XX-XXXX format. No clue why you think the first set has 4 numbers Siddar. Do you have a US SSN?

And there's less than 10000 US ZIP codes in use, and a reasonable number are only used for PO Boxes and other specialized uses.

In short, you're seeming pretty clueless on the subject.

PS I bet 99% was absentee ballots not in person since thats always got the highest cases of fraud.