So My Wife Died...

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't want to get into a whole legal advice thread, but you're a good dude.

Find yourself a personal injury lawyer and have him draft you up a juicy personal injury lawsuit against the owner of the house (the estate) and the administrator. This lawsuit seeks testing data and compensation for injuries and deaths occurring due to contamination on the premises.

Send the administrator a letter with the lawsuit attached, and let them know you will be filing said lawsuit in 14 or 30 days or whatever you want to do. They will be unable to sell the house if you file that lawsuit. Ask him if you want to fight in the courts or just let you do your testing, because the testing is going to happen as part of the lawsuit whether they like it or not, so its up to them.

My $0.02.

I can't believe there was ever a time I didn't like Cad.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
If they're really motivated by greed, use that against them. Tell them that if their house was contaminated by the superfund site you might be in for a big settlement from whoever is managing the site that would make the house value look like chump change. Might even be true, IDK. My skeptic's brain tells me that you probably won't find anything and it's just a shitty coincidence, maybe with some genetic predisposition to cancer, but who knows? In that case you're where you are now with a clear conscience. If they do find something? Get your lawyer brother-in-law to sue and go for more money since it seems like he's hungry for it.
I actually did mention this to them. I told Bro 2 he would be the Erin Brockovich of their home town. And I 100% agree that we probably won't find anything and that's kind of the whole point. It still provides helpful information for me and I would have hoped at least some form of peace of mind for themselves. If not for anything related to their own health at least knowing they didn't unload mini Chernobyl on some unsuspecting family.

Very strange first thing I thought when you mentioned the incidence of cancers, was “environmental?”

Doesn’t make much sense to lose three people to cancer in such a succession, and not be interested in finding out more, almost like he already knows so something? The family having a predisposition or something?

The thing about Bro #2? He's adopted. Which would also make me think he'd want to know if there was anything at the house and not some genetic anomaly. But, to Brutal's point I think he's assuming they aren't going to find anything, it is genetic and won't impact him, and therefore he doesn't give a shit.

I don't want to get into a whole legal advice thread, but you're a good dude.

Find yourself a personal injury lawyer and have him draft you up a juicy personal injury lawsuit against the owner of the house (the estate) and the administrator. This lawsuit seeks testing data and compensation for injuries and deaths occurring due to contamination on the premises.

Send the administrator a letter with the lawsuit attached, and let them know you will be filing said lawsuit in 14 or 30 days or whatever you want to do. They will be unable to sell the house if you file that lawsuit. Ask him if you want to fight in the courts or just let you do your testing, because the testing is going to happen as part of the lawsuit whether they like it or not, so its up to them.

My $0.02.

This is definitely something to think about. My immediate plan was to wait until the house is listed and goes under contract. I am required to sign paperwork to approve the sale based on how the trust docs were drawn up. (I know this because of another property sale that occurred previously).

At that point I would draft a letter to all the attorney's along with the sellers agent and the brothers expressing my concerns, my wife's wishes, and indicate that I am unable to sign until testing is done in a manner that I and my wife (were she living) would be satisfied with.

I know they could go around me but it would be tied up in probate for a bit I'd bet. If we get to that point the ship will have sailed and it will be clear that these people will not be part of my life moving forward so I really wouldn't give a shit.

Provided this course of action wouldn't preclude me from what your suggesting I would imagine it would be less costly for myself and could potentially still get them to do the right thing.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
My immediate plan was to wait until the house is listed and goes under contract. I am required to sign paperwork to approve the sale based on how the trust docs were drawn up. (I know this because of another property sale that occurred previously).

At that point I would draft a letter to all the attorney's along with the sellers agent and the brothers expressing my concerns, my wife's wishes, and indicate that I am unable to sign until testing is done in a manner that I and my wife (were she living) would be satisfied with.

I know they could go around me but it would be tied up in probate for a bit I'd bet. If we get to that point the ship will have sailed and it will be clear that these people will not be part of my life moving forward so I really wouldn't give a shit.

In order to come out at the good guy here I'd at least warn them in advance that you're planning on holding up the sale. Sales are time-sensitive for many reasons and throwing in a wrench at the last minute could easily torpedo a deal and/or scare off the buyer if they found out the reasons.

Do you have access to the property? Since you're enough of a stakeholder to be required to OK the sale, can you just do the tests on your own recognizance?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
Do you have access to the property? Since you're enough of a stakeholder to be required to OK the sale, can you just do the tests on your own recognizance?

That is a question I also had over the last couple of days. I certainly haven't been told I can't go to the property.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
That is a question I also had over the last couple of days. I certainly haven't been told I can't go to the property.

I'm not going to tell you to potentially escalate the relationship with brother 3, but in your shoes I'd be sorely tempted to just schedule the test quietly for a time he's not going to be there, keep your mouth shut if the results are benign, and if they're bad send him a copy by certified mail. I'm not a lawyer, but I'd be shocked if he could sue you for uncovering information that would otherwise be illegal for him to withhold if he'd known it.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
And so it begins...

Incoming word vomit that would also fit in the Jimmies Rustled thread.

As I mentioned across these posts, my wife developed her cancer at 40. Her father's cancer hit when he was 40 and he lived with it off and on for the next 20 years. Her mother wasn't diagnosed until she was 59 but the doctors believed that the colon cancer she developed was exceptionally slow moving and that her mom had probably had it for over 10 years. Her mother had refused to go to the doctor's but must have known something was wrong for a long time.

All of them died within the last 3 years.

My wife, prior to her passing had expressed concerns to her brother's about the her parent's house they had all grown up in. Tori was convinced that it was something on their street that caused them all to get sick. They all had different types of cancer and genetic testing showed no predispositions to any of the cancer's they developed. Almost every house on their street has at least 1 person that died early of cancer, some very rare.

I think you can probably see where this is going.

I had also reiterated the desire for some form of testing to be done to each of her brother's prior to Tori's passing and after. This was no secret to them or surprise. Up to now, I had been told the plan was to sell the house to the city, reason being (and no I'm not making this up) the house is directly next to an elementary school and the school needed parking. Her mother had mentioned that there was an opportunity for the city to do some testing when the original school was being demolished and a new school was being built a few years ago but the powers that be elected not to. Whether that's true or not, I haven't looked in to it.

Either way, I let the brothers know that if that was the plan I had no problem with it.

Today I'm talking to one of her brothers (Bro 1) and he mentions that the estate sale was completed and that this weekend is the final liquidation sale followed by the dump guys. Naturally I ask what's going on with the sale of the house and what the city is doing.

Turns out, the city told them to kick rocks weeks and weeks ago and they did not tell me. Their plan is to list the house in the next couple of weeks...

While I'm not the brightest bulb I'm also not a complete dumbass and had thought something like this could happen. I had initially been looking at vendors that could do a Phase I Environmental study of the site but after doing some research it doesn't appear phase I really does any sample testing. That occurs in phase II based on the phase I findings. All of which would take too much time. In reality we (as my wife is a part of this) are looking to have soil sample testing, air, and water testing done absent a full study.

Where I fell down was believing they would tell me if the city elected not to buy the property. I thought I had more time to have someone lined up and ready to go.

I also confirmed with a real estate attorney just to be absolutely sure that if this testing was done and showed no positive signs of toxicity the fact that the testing was done does not need to be disclosed as part of a subsequent sale transaction. Obviously if there are carcinogens detected that would need to be disclosed (but who the fuck would want to sell a house that killed half their family to another family??!?!!).

In my research I also discovered that one of the largest super fund sites in New England is a 4 minute drive from their home. Bro 1 wasn't even aware.

So I plead my case to him. I reiterated that it was one of his sister's dying requests. That Tori had considered asking her mother to do the testing while she was alive but thought better of it. If there were findings it would have destroyed her mother. Knowing what it inflicted on her family and what may be coming for Tori's siblings. Tori had planned to have it done after her mother's passing, she didn't expect to not outlive her mom. I mean who dies from cancer in 16 months?

I mentioned that if it comes back negative they can sell the house with a clear conscience, but for me it means my daughter will probably need to get a double mastectomy by the time she's 35. If it's positive, it will at least give them an idea of what killed my wife and their mother and father and may change the calculus a bit when it comes to my daughter. It would mean that for them the type of screening they could get and how often would change dramatically and they would stand a better chance of catching something early. That their kids
were over that house all the time, and while 20 years of exposure gives a lot more opportunity for mutation, if their kids were exposed to something it isn't 0.00 chance for them either.

I also mentioned that the only reason not to check is because you're afraid of what you'll find and doing that and selling to someone else is fucking gross. Bro 1 agreed and at least in our conversation agrees that some sort of testing should be done. Bro 1 also mentioned that Bro 2 is going to fight this along with Bro 3.

So, never shy from confrontation I call Bro 2 (whose a lawyer) and let him know all the same things. His response, I am the administrator of the trust and I won't do anything that may impact the highest valuation of the home possible. Gross. He tries to handle me and says that I can put together what I want done and we can have a call with the vendor but if the tests risk negatively impacting the sale he won't agree to it. What fucking testing that looks for carcinogens doesn't have the possibility to negatively impact a sale? He also mentions that the house is being listed ASAP and that any testing can't hold up a sale. I decide not to engage and mention the fact that he decided not to notify me weeks ago when he knew the city wasn't interested was a crock of grade A bullshit. I recognize at this point I am no longer talking to a brother in law, I am talking to a lawyer that looks like someone I had considered family. He was the closest one to my sister.

I also make clear to both brothers that I will either pay for the cost of any testing out of pocket.

I don't even bother with brother number 3.

Finally, on to the house itself. Is this a palatial mansion overlooking the ocean? A one of a kind historic home that Paul Revere himself once took a dump in? Fully renovated and upgraded with amazing amenities and details? No, its a 100 year old home with a fucked up floor plan, creaky lopsided stairs, and repairs needed in every room. It's zestimate is for about 350k and it's in a down market.

After fees, commissions, and a 4 way split what the fuck are we even talking about? 75k each? Yes, that's a nice chunk of money, but NONE of them are struggling. And the one that could really use it the most is the only one (at least to my face) is on my side.

I just have to get it out. I had hoped it would have been different. I'm so dissappointed. I am trying my best to seperate the lawyer part from the brother part but I'll tell you this, if I never get to know. For my wife and for my daughter, I'm never talking to any of those fucks again and any proceeds I'm donating to charity and I know my wife she would back me right up on this.

I am also working on my options should the house go under contract as I am the executor of my wife's estate. I don't want to get in to it too much though at this time.

So thats it. Greed is gross.
1. Stop thinking with your emotions in all of this. Greed may be gross, but it is part of the basic human package, and one of the biggest reasons why we move forward in life.
2. Tell your lawyer bro that the MLS listing will need to either note that there may be cancer risks, or he needs to get the testing done now before it is listed, because you would not be able to, in good conscience, agree to any sale until the testing is completed. Keep it short and sweet. Remind him that you are offering to pay for it.
3. If testing comes up positive, you are going to have a much bigger shit show to deal with. Dealing with that kind of stuff tends to be expensive, which will massively reduce the value of the home. But it might allow you to sue someone for damages. Silver linings and all.

When it comes to real estate it really is caveat emptor. Someone buying an old old oooooooold property like that should be getting all that tested as well. When I got my condo this year getting the granite countertops tested for radiation was part if it all, and this place was built in 2001 or so.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Provided this course of action wouldn't preclude me from what your suggesting I would imagine it would be less costly for myself and could potentially still get them to do the right thing.
Most personal injury attorneys would take the case on contingency if they think you have a decent case, so it wouldn't cost you a thing. They'd even pay for the testing if it looks juicy enough. Give it a shot, go talk to some and see where you get. Worst thing that can happen is they say no.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
it was one of ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶i̶s̶t̶e̶r̶'̶s̶ your wife's dying requests.
You swore an oath to her, not to her brothers. Now obviously I wouldn't expect you to immediately go scorched earth because they're still the uncles/grandmother of your children but if they won't get out of your way? Crush them.

It isn't just about money, if someone poisoned your wife then you are owed justice. If it wasn't environmental carcinogens then you are due the peace of mind from knowing that.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
How are you doing bro?

Hope all is well, was thinking about you and yours today. Best possible wishes !