Sports writer kills himself, leaves behind website describing how and why

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Technobabble has everything to do with it. He tries to cover his ridiculous theory by quoting Marx and claiming it is science. When you distill it down and take out all his bullshit, you end up with him claiming that commodities are stealing people's humanity (their soul) and so they should kill themselves.

I am not being sarcastic because I don't understand what he is saying. I am simply restating his premise in a simpler fashion. If anything you are the one that doesn't understand the implications of what he is saying. I expect more from you than simply agreeing with Dumar because he quoted Marx and disagrees with Hodj.
Ummm, I've never read Marx, although from what I understand Groucho was the funny one. The name "Marx" has no special significance or authoritative power over me. Also, although Hodj may be a douchebag, it takes more than someone being opposed to his beliefs for me to side with them. Everything Hodj has ever posted (that I read, at least) in the atheism thread was indisputable, as far as I'm concerned. However, the fact that he can make a few strong points doesn't make him infallible. To be fair, I'm only reading the parts of what he's posting that are being quoted, so it's possible (albeit unlikely) that he's made a few great points I simply haven't seen. But from what I have seen Dumar is simply much better at presenting his points logically and clearly, and without resorting to childish attacks. Do I take pleasure from the fact that he's emasculating someone who refuses to admit he's wrong even when all the evidence shows that he is? Yeah, I suppose I am. I'm only human, after all. But that's hardly the deciding factor in why I'm siding with Dumar on this.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Dumar's doing such a great job explaining his point of view that the only person agreeing with him in the entire thread is Tanoomba.

Says quite a bit, actually.

Nothing good.

Of course, Tanoomba is the resident expert on being emasculated....

Anyway, Tanoomba, move in with that black family yet so you could learn to experience their points of view better?

khalid

Unelected Mod
Ummm, I've never read Marx
Obvious lie, you are an English major. How gullible do you think I am??

To be fair, I'm only reading the parts of what he's posting that are being quoted, so it's possible (albeit unlikely) that he's made a few great points I simply haven't seen. But from what I have seen Dumar is simply much better at presenting his points logically and clearly, and without resorting to childish attacks
So you haven't been reading Hodj's posts but you are convinced that Dumar has been making the better arguments? Sigh, just sigh.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
No you haven't. You have done nothing but try and sidetrack the issue.
Here's the firstattempt andhere's the second. I very much hope you read the second, as an understanding of the phenomenon I'm showing through example and the analysis of hodj's natural language are needed as a foundation to understand the argument as a whole.

I'll continue from the second link after finishing some work, but please read and reflect upon it first before more talk of stealing souls. It'll be long again unfortunately, but technobabble bullshit free.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Claims he was trying to get the conversation back on track,
Cites two posts where he provided no evidence to back up his claims and where he ranted for well over 2000 words plus, which no one read.

I'll continue from the second link after finishing some work
Don't waste your time providing a diatribe you've promised us three times now you'd deliver and have yet to. We want citations, not thesis statements on your world view.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Obvious lie, you are an English major. How gullible do you think I am??
I'm a "Teaching English as a second Language" major. Do you know how much Marx has to do with that? Fuck all. I studied language acquisition, planning and evaluation, pedagogy and the like.

So you haven't been reading Hodj's posts but you are convinced that Dumar has been making the better arguments? Sigh, just sigh.
This is a fair criticism. However, I have been seeing much of what Hodj has to say (since Dumar has quoted much of what's relevant), and what I've seen strongly suggests he's following his typical "misrepresent the opposition's point of view" strategy he's becoming increasingly well-known for. Including Hodj, nobody's been able to refute the simple and objectively non-controversial points Dumar has been making. That's why I think Dumar has a stronger case. He knows what he's saying, he's not allowing anyone to twist his words to suit their purposes, and in the end he's not really saying anything that can be argued against. He's also shown a maturity most posters (including myself) are unable to reach in terms of resisting the urge to descend to the level of petty childishness demonstrated by his detractors. I like that in a poster (it's one of the reasons I want to have Lithose's babies).

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Tanoomba claiming that I misrepresent people's arguments, while still misrepresenting my argument in his signature on every post he makes, is of course, more evidence of his tone deafness and terminal stupidity.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Also literally quoting Dumar saying that humans lose their humanity by the trade and engagment in a commoditized society is now misrepresenting people, apparently.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Here's the firstattempt andhere's the second. I very much hope you read the second, as an understanding of the phenomenon I'm showing through example and the analysis of hodj's natural language are needed as a foundation to understand the argument as a whole.

I'll continue from the second link after finishing some work, but please read and reflect upon it first before more talk of stealing souls. It'll be long again unfortunately, but technobabble bullshit free.
By exist in reality, I mean the only thing there is the concept, like the football game. A football game is a set of rules we made up and men play together according to them with a ball. However, this set of rules and ball provides a huge range of emotions for many millions of people all around the world. And the question we would love to ask, is if this made up thing was never made up, what kind of activity would people do to feel those things?
And so, our lives and experience in them are formed by our social being, and ours in this society is one of a market structure being applied to everything, and more and more stuff being produced to consume. Do you want to tell me when we visit your sidewalk, that lots of what you felt and thought throughout your life came from the stuff you bought?
these are philosophical and political theories. Your methods of interpretingreality.

It is a moot gesture, which you believe is far superior than those who are "clueless." I believe that was your phrasing? Those who could not understand this concept? Here, I think you are setting yourself for a logical loop. By assertion of clueless, you assert to know more. By the assertion of relativity, you remove the structure and replace yours with theirs. By overriding the hierarchy of morality with relativity, you set yourself to the very same loop that you despise and hold the relativity to higher standard.

In short, you believe that absolution is not real. Materials which you possess is not real. Only "form" is real (i.e. social reality?). That isyourreality. You prefer theformto be more real than the very materials you possess. Things are theMatrixand "social reality" is thereal world.

You call that metaphysicsreality.
I call thatpreference.

(my opinion but yeah, I am fucking high right now.)

EDIT: this has nothing to do with me disagreeing with your social theory. i edited lot.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
these are philosophical and political theories. Your methods of interpretingreality.

It is a moot gesture, which you believe is far superior than those who are "clueless." I believe that was your phrasing? Those who could not understand this concept? Here, I think you are setting yourself for a logical loop. By assertion of clueless, you assert to know more. By the assertion of relativity, you remove the structure and replace yours with theirs. By overriding the hierarchy of morality with relativity, you set yourself to the very same loop that you despise and hold the relativity to higher standard.

In short, you believe that absolution is not real. Materials which you possess is not real. Only "form" is real. That isyourreality. You prefer theformto be more real than the very materials you possess. Things are theMatrixand your mind is thereal world.

You call that metaphysicsreality.
I call thatpreference.

Because I will not allow myself to lose to a hypocritical standard.

(my opinion but yeah, I am fucking high right now.)
Awww... it's so cute when Trollface (*ahem*, TROLLFACE) tries to make a point.
in the end, everybody's "reality" is what they make it, isn't it? Isn't that what you're saying? It doesn't really matter what Dumar says is "real" or "manufactured", since that's all relative to how we perceive it, right? That being the case, why wouldn't it also stand to reason that for some, in their own self-perceived version of "reality", they are actively participating in a system they do not feel comfortable in, can not endorse, and would rather opt out of of (through suicide) than continue being a part of? Isn't that a rational choice for someone whose reality tells them all of their experiences are irrational, superficial, or otherwise "not real"? Who are we to say "That's wrong!" when their own life experiences have created that version of reality for them?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Tanoomba, care to take a swing at how quoting Dumar word for word is misrepresenting his position?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He's not saying any of this shit in the first place. The issue is that if perceptive reality can differ from person to person (it absolutely can) then we follow that there is a more defined reality outside of perception and sensation. That's essentially what he's calling forms. Otherwise, we are all already living in a matrix and there is no reality except for within our heads. I don't think that meshes too well with math and hard sciences, since perception does not change what math fundamentally is even though perception can affect your understanding of and relationship to the data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_Forms

No one has ever seen a perfect circle, nor a perfectly straight line, yet everyone knows what a circle and a straight line are. Plato utilizes the tool-maker's blueprint as evidence that Forms are real:[34]

... when a man has discovered the instrument which is naturally adapted to each work, he must express this natural form, and not others which he fancies, in the material ....

Perceived circles or lines are not exactly circular or straight, and true circles and lines could never be detected since by definition they are sets of infinitely small points. But if the perfect ones were not real, how could they direct the manufacturer?
For example, say we have a triangle drawn on a blackboard. A triangle is a polygon with 3 sides. The triangle as it is on the blackboard is far from perfect. However, it is only the intelligibility of the Form "triangle" that allows us to know the drawing on the chalkboard is a triangle, and the Form "triangle" is perfect and unchanging. It is exactly the same whenever anyone chooses to consider it; however, the time is that of the observer and not of the triangle.

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
he did say over-extension of "marketing/commercialization" of human "experience" is harmful. This of course stems from his metaphysical perspective, which SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. it's sort of like saying, "addiction is bad" but we all know that....

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
He's not saying any of this shit in the first place
I don't know what you're talking about with magic. They respond emotionally to the commodity.

It strips them because they're no longer human: their life, the sum of their emotional, psychological responses - in short, their feelings and sensuous experience - is more and more experienced by a sum of commodity generations, not through their direct activity as a human being related to the world and other human beings.
He says it right there.

The issue is that if perceptive reality can differ from person to person (it absolutely can) then we follow that there is a more defined reality outside of perception and sensation.
People perceive reality differently, so therefore something outside of that perception and sensation must exist that helps define those different existences? There's all sorts of things that are outside the realm of your personal capacity for perception and sensation right now because they aren't in your vicinity. That doesn't justify Dumar's continued assertion that some base matter in humans that makes them unique and special amongst all the creatures of the Earth, that it can be sucked out by the existence of a commoditized existence, exists. And that this loss of humanity is a justifiable cause for suicide. It simply doesn't.

Anyway, you can't perceive the atomic and subatomic levels as a normal human unaided by tools, so that physical reality already meets that definition. Why do we need to seek out some magical otherworld when we have it right here in front of us? If we weren't here to experience this shit, it wouldn't exist, to us, and that is all that matters.

Otherwise, we are all already living in a matrix and there is no reality except for within our heads.
Guess what, scientists around the globe are doing their best to determine if that's the case right now.

http://www.washington.edu/news/2012/...can-be-tested/

Dumar's argument has nothing to do with forms or anything else. You need to go back about 20 pages and read his actual position that started this debate, rather than allowing him to side track you with his rambling philosophical bullshit that he's using to cover for the fact that he's made a claim with a premise that does not support its conclusion. Everything else is his distraction fallacy throwing up flack trying to screen his positions from air bombardment.

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
it sort of does have to do with form, but it sucks. it's a philosophy 101, which is why it sucks. again.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I've got 3 majors and over 100 credit hours and the only "philosophy" course I've taken is logic, thankfully.

The only "bullshit" courses I've got are an introduction to computers class that was a requirement at the community college that I could have tested out of but took the easy A in instead, and an introductory communications course I had to take as a prerequisite to public speaking, which was a requirement for graduation in science majors.

A buddy of mine took a history of rock and roll course, I can't conceive of wasting the time and money to take a course on the history of rock and roll. I could probably recite most of that history rote from memory, at least once you move into the middle 60s and beyond.

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
i bullshitted my way through the philosophy course, man (Socrates, Aristotle, Descartes...yeah..classics and they are shit...not THE shit....just shit...) At that time, I was a pretty gung-ho liberal Batista. I thought it was, "cool" but then i grew up.

It took me 3 years.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Well philosophy professors have found a way to bullshit through life so don't feel too bad about it.