Sports writer kills himself, leaves behind website describing how and why

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
What is "endlessly engaging in it"? Having a place to live and furniture? Owning a car?
Yes, according to the die hards, that is certainly endlessly engaging in it. To have a place to live, furniture and a car, you must be employed, which means you must be a slave for the profit of another, yadda yadda yadda.

Like I said, you should actually talk to these people sometime. Most of them hitchhike from gathering to gathering, owning only what they have on their backs, which amounts to some clothes, basic tools and necessities, and lots and lots of acid.

They really do have the cheapest cleanest acid in the country though.

Really grade A stuff.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/culti...he_rainbow.php

?For most of the year, 22-year-old Denise Puente lives in a house with her parents and does medical billing for a doctor in Coral Gables. She likes taking pictures and hula hooping on the beach.

But every February, she runs off to the Rainbow Gathering in Ocala National Forest to live in a tent for weeks, without bathrooms, money, or cell phone service -- even renaming herself "Picture" while she's there.

People at the Gathering sleep in tents, on mats, or the forest floor. There is a barter economy to ensure currency has no value, but staples like food and water are given to whomever may need them, as are pot and cigarettes. The goal is to create a peaceful community where everyone contributes to communal well-being.

To some, the Rainbow Family is just a bunch of freeloading hobos. To others, they're inspirational. "It's beautiful," said Puente. "It's a way to water the seed the hippies planted in the '60s."

?The first Rainbow Gathering of the Tribes in the U.S. actually happened in 1972 in Colorado. A group of self-proclaimed hippies, the Rainbow Family of Living Light, sent an open invitation to anyone who wanted to join them in the woods for four days of chanting and meditation. The Colorado Gathering of '72 was a national event. According to the Rainbow Family guide site WelcomeHome.org, regional Gatherings started springing up in the mid-1980s as a way to come together more often and more easily.

Now they occur in every state throughout the year -- as long as there is a forest, the hippies can populate it. Though there is no official head count, since information is mostly spread through word of mouth, the group's Wikipedia page claims there can be 5,000 people at regional gatherings and 30,000 at national ones.

Puente was introduced to the Family by a friend about five years ago. Since her Ocala Gathering experience, Puente has become a sort of "commuter hippie," going off the grid for a while but always returning to a home, a job, and a life in "Babylon," the hippies' name for the outside world.

She has also attended regional Gatherings in Tallahassee and Lake Mary, Florida; one in Asheville, North Carolina; and a national gathering somewhere in the woods of Pennsylvania.

Puente says hippies who don't have a home outside the forest live on the road, going from Gathering to Gathering or finding their way into festivals like Burning Man. Some, like her friend "Sugarbear," live in small rural neighborhoods in the woods, where they don't need to adjust to the pace of life in "Babylon." Others commute, like Puente. But when you're coming from an underground society where nothing belongs to anyone and everything belongs to everyone, the move to a city that doesn't accept that philosophy is challenging. For some, it's similar to homelessness. Puente recalls a group of commuter hippies who brought their friend "Flash" into Miami. "He told them, 'Oh, I just need a ride. I'll find my way, I'll find a group of Rainbows,'" she said. "He ended up calling my friend every day, asking for rides or weed. [They] can't survive away from the woods. Dude, it's not the woods! It's society. It's two different worlds."

?But another Rainbow, Shades, says living like a Rainbow is nothing like being homeless. The 19-year-old hippie was homeless as a kid, but now he owns a small piece of land in Richmond, Va. He spent almost a month at the Ocala Gathering, and then came to Miami. "At Rainbow, everyone gives you food, cigarettes, and they'll take the clothes right off their backs for you," he said. "When you're homeless you have nothing."

But Shades admits he does consider himself homeless when he's out of the woods, regardless of his property in Virginia. "The forest is my home," he says. "Out here, I don't have the Family. I don't have anything."

Though some Rainbows turn to panhandling, or "spanging," when they need food or supplies in the city, Shades says he's never resorted to that. When he's hungry in Babylon, he goes dumpster diving instead.

"There's never really been a fully self-sustainable commune," said Quest, 18, a friend of Shades'. "It's funded by food stamps and dumpster diving."

Though the group survives on scraps and handouts, Quest thinks people should experience the Gathering before accusing them of being bums, drug addicts, or homeless. "It's an attempt to get away from the government, to be free," he said. "Everyone's got their individual beliefs. It's all a spiritual experience."

Puente agrees. "[The Gathering] is whatever you make it. It's something different to everyone, but it's all the same," she said.
There's two more pages to that article.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes, according to the die hards, that is certainly endlessly engaging in it. To have a place to live, furniture and a car, you must be employed, which means you must be a slave for the profit of another, yadda yadda yadda.

Like I said, you should actually talk to these people sometime. Most of them hitchhike from gathering to gathering, owning only what they have on their backs, which amounts to some clothes, basic tools and necessities, and lots and lots of acid.
I'm fully aware of what they are about, you didn't just introduce this phenomenon to me. I don't care about die hard extremism. That's not the only option you have if you ascribe to this notion of manufactured versus genuine experience.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
One problem with hippies and extreme leftists alike is a stupid belief that nature is somehow balanced or fair. It's anything but, it's chaotic, random, cruel, and indifferent.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
yeah but he will be set loose into the world. he is supposed to give me a woman like a pimp and treat them like objects. i gotta have sex to know about stuff, so i hear.
First of all, I never said I would "give you a woman". I offered to get you laid. I don't know if you're aware, but Montreal is kind of a party city, and there are plenty of bars and clubs filled with people just looking for a good time. I imagine you're the type of guy whose fear of rejection prevents him from taking any chances with girls, and this fear is then self-rationalized through over-analysis ("I don't want to put her in an awkward position where she doesn't know how to reject me") and making excuses ("Slutty girls like that are never into guys like me"). I could be way off, but based on your views of feminism and the remarkable similarities you have to a friend of mine, that's my guess. Going to another city gives you a blank slate where you can experiment with being less inhibited (alcohol helps too), and if you've got people around making sure you've got a place to crash, a way to get there safely andmaybeeven to be a productive wingman (although that's not my strong point), well then what exactly are you complaining about?

Second of all, fuck you. Yes, you do have to have sex to know about stuff. Are you kidding me? If you're well into adulthood and you have no relationship experience to speak of and you've never had sex, then yes, your development has been stunted. You are missing out on a part of life, on a part of the human experience, and this absolutely weakens your authority to talk about certain subjects. But that's OK, I'm sure your sarcasm will keep you warm at night.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
I'm being misrepresented again it appears. I've said several times that all commodities are not bad, and a commodity and a tool are not equivalent.

and ps: a hippie is not the same thing as a communist, is not the same thing as a Marxist, is not the same thing as a critical theorist. To convolute them is also a misrepresentation.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Conversely you also have to abstain from sex to know about stuff. There is no absolute perspective each has its merits and its faults.

Would you want your daughter to have the Miley Cyrus mindset in life?

There is evidence that oversexualizing youth for example damages people's ability to form long term relationships later in life.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm fully aware of what they are about, you didn't just introduce this phenomenon to me. I don't care about die hard extremism. That's not the only option you have if you ascribe to this notion of manufactured versus genuine experience.
Not to mention, you can't escape society and capitalism. If a group of people truly live on an off the grid location growing their own food and being totally self sufficient or close to it, I would be impressed. But hitchhiking? Now you're a slave to the slave who is enslaved by his car. Its not really free if you are dependent on others for your lifestyle. Its like the deadbeats at a Phish parking lot or jam band festival who look down at "custies" yet their entire world revolves around custy money coming on to lot at every tour stop. They are just a different part of the machine, albeit a bit under the mainstream radar. And of course their entire motivation is essentially getting fucked up, not any higher calling to a pure lifestyle, that's just a bunch of bullshit talk.

But that's a soapbox which is only tangential.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I'm being misrepresented again it appears. I've said several times that all commodities are not bad, and a commodity and a tool are not equivalent.
You've beennothing butmisrepresented since this discussion started. That says a lot about people's ability to either argue with you or comprehend you. Or both.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
First of all, I never said I would "give you a woman". I offered to get you laid. I don't know if you're aware, but Montreal is kind of a party city, and there are plenty of bars and clubs filled with people just looking for a good time.
Plus doesn't Motreal have a metric shit ton of strip clubs? And by extension I imagine happy ending massage parlors and whores! Just go trollface, shit. I'd come take pictures and drink beer if I was anywhere remotely near you guys. Thankfully I live in the greatest country in the world, the United States of America where we are free to take a dump in a ditch on federal forest land without being run off by mounties. Freedom!

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
We have a strip club around here. One. It's mostly ugly woman in their 30s. Went there one night on my birthday as a joke. Uh oh. Didn't stay for very long...

I spent half of my life just studying and another half taking bible studies, so I is strict yo.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
tanoomba is going to molest trollface

its gonna be the most non manufactured experience of his life

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Not to mention, you can't escape society and capitalism. If a group of people truly live on an off the grid location growing their own food and being totally self sufficient or close to it, I would be impressed. But hitchhiking? Now you're a slave to the slave who is enslaved by his car. Its not really free if you are dependent on others for your lifestyle. Its like the deadbeats at a Phish parking lot or jam band festival who look down at "custies" yet their entire world revolves around custy money coming on to lot at every tour stop. They are just a different part of the machine, albeit a bit under the mainstream radar. And of course their entire motivation is essentially getting fucked up, not any higher calling to a pure lifestyle, that's just a bunch of bullshit talk.

But that's a soapbox which is only tangential.
Yes, you cannot be totally free of society, despite however well-intentioned your attempts or motivations are. You're stuck with us (or them).

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
Do i have to read tanoomba's shit or will someone translate it for me? i got no patience for retards who doesn't even know what he/she is stating.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do i have to read tanoomba's shit or will someone translate it for me?
He said "bro, Montreal is off the hizzy, lets party *high five*".

I'm sure this meetup would not be the most awkward thing imaginable, but you should do it.

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
I respect woman.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOm.

just kidding. i treat them like objects.

He said "bro, Montreal is off the hizzy, lets party *high five*".

I'm sure this meetup would not be the most awkward thing imaginable, but you should do it.
It's only about 5 hour drive? So long since I've been to Montreal.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
The-Nightman-Cometh.gif