Star Trek: Discovery

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Is this show being written by GRRM as a side TV project? I bet he's working 'really' hard on it.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I wonder how much of this is delays due to the musical chairs production staff not getting the casting / set construction finished vs. being unable to script good stories.

This has always felt like a 'sitdram' where they go through all the motions of laying out a complex back story without much of an idea as to what the show is about. I think in the post-Netflix world where scripted series actually tend to have a full storyline and not just an 'arc' that it just isn't enough to trust that some writing room is going to come up with interesting things for the Starfleet Fungus Expert to do on a weekly basis.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I wonder how much of this is delays due to the musical chairs production staff not getting the casting / set construction finished vs. being unable to script good stories.

That stuff hasn't helped but CBS's All Access service is said to suck in terms of being able to deliver streaming content without regular buffering issues. They might be pushing this out until they get the kinks worked out of that since they'll likely get an uptick in users when the series begins.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I wasn't really that interested in this shit show to begin with, but now that I know it's going to take place in the past, even before the original series, I give zero fucks about it. I tried to watch a couple of episodes of "Enterprise" and it was fucking horrendous. Maybe some day they'll do a new show that takes place after TNG.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider

I'd guess a lot of it has to do with network interference. It's Star Trek, one of the oldest franchises on network television with a huge built-in audience. It's not something they're going to want to take huge risks with since they don't want to screw up what could be a big hit. They're also using this as the heavyweight to make CBS All-Access a competitive streaming service, which means they have even more riding on it. And then, this also has to work alongside a big budget movie series. There's likely more oversight than normal on this project with a lot of competing views as to what it should be.

Bryan Fuller used to talk about how it was his dream to be able to work on Star Trek again. It was always his answer whenever he was asked what he'd work on if he could choose anything. The only logical reason I can see him dropping out of this is if there was constant meddling with what he was trying to accomplish. And it's not hard to see how he might've conflicted with CBS when CBS isn't exactly at the forefront of the evolving television landscape. They're pretty comfortable with procedurals and mult-cam sitcoms. I wouldn't be surprised if Fuller and others wanted to do a Star Trek more suitable for what modern audiences expect while CBS management is still stuck in the past.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
The silly part is that star trek already had a show that dealt with all the issues of today and it came out 23 years ago.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Holy shit, Leeta got thic.
Kira looks like an edgy Ellen Degeneres.

I loved DS9

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This is an extremely convoluted way to defend an ip.

They really should of just let that fan made movie get made/released.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Tried to find the source but read something a while back that basically said many of the people approached for this didn't like how "limited" the exposure may be due to subscriber only content ala Netflix style but limited by CBS initially. Like having such a small base wouldn't open up for contract raises in later seasons and be looked down upon in the industry as a failure if it doesn't hit x amount of viewers.
TLDR- Restricted content can hurt career/hold back contracts.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I get that people like cop dramas, mediocre sitcoms and survivor, but I feel like CBS is a little too high on themselves with the America's Most Watched Network thing.

Maybe I'm way off but there's no way I'd pay Netflix prices for CBS only content.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Unless this train wreck somehow ends up as the greatest Star Trek show ever made CBS will never have anything worth subbing for.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Also forgot to say that trailer is for an indiegogo Documentary produced by DS9 show runner Ira Steven Behr and Director Adam Nemoy.

• 1Like

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Tried to find the source but read something a while back that basically said many of the people approached for this didn't like how "limited" the exposure may be due to subscriber only content ala Netflix style but limited by CBS initially. Like having such a small base wouldn't open up for contract raises in later seasons and be looked down upon in the industry as a failure if it doesn't hit x amount of viewers.
TLDR- Restricted content can hurt career/hold back contracts.

They want this to be like Netflix, but it's not remotely comparable at this point. By the time Netflix started releasing original programming, they had millions of subscribers. It was a household name. They also invested a lot of money and hired some huge names. CBS is just banking everything on the "Star Trek" brand in hopes of selling CBS All-Access when it's not even something that currently appeals to that audience. Something tells me that the people who want to see Star Trek aren't going to feel they're getting their money's worth with reruns of The Bold and the Beautiful and Sabrina, the Teenage Witch.

The service is garbage. They don't even have the entire runs of their own shows. Their two biggest shows - Big Bang Theory and Criminal Minds - have less than 10 episodes each on it. But, oh boy, you can watch the over 6000 clips (and not a single episode) of The Amazing Race! So, this is basically comes down to them expecting fans of Star Trek to spend $18-30 to watch the season when there's really yet to be any indication that it'll be worth that. I can see why a lot of people in Hollywood would be reluctant to attach themselves to this, especially with as chaotic as development has already been. It's not like this is some grand formula for success.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
This was posted to Io9 yesterday from an instagram post that was since deleted. These are some damn fugly Klingons...
uikmcomipvrxmv50hzo4.jpg