Star Trek: Discovery

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I'll admit that almost half my distaste for this series is that it's on CBS all access. I'm not going to pay just for a new Trek show. Especially when I get awesome shows on Netflix and Prime that IS worth my money.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
When he is at full power Bryan Fuller is an absolute genius, even if it isn't always appreciate (hi Pushing Daisies). Perhaps this latest delay is affording him the time to get everything right.

Yeah, considering he already has another show due out early next year (ie American Gods), I think this will benefit Discovery in that it will give him some time to focus solely on it rather than splitting his time. In fact, I have to wonder if that's not part of the reason production on Discovery has been so slow as it is.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
When he is at full power Bryan Fuller is an absolute genius, even if it isn't always appreciate (hi Pushing Daisies). Perhaps this latest delay is affording him the time to get everything right.

Alternately it might reflect CBS having cold-feet about anchoring this to their premium channel that absolutely no one wants for any other reason...especially when they already own Showtime. I figure some analysis demonstrated that with the level of market saturation that already exists for Showtime (which is almost always bundled with HBO on cable systems) they would not make significantly more money by putting Trek on there.

I guess CBS could be waiting to see how their fall season of big brother does on the all access, seeing if live tv ratings of big brother will transform into paying for the all access app.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Bryan Fuller is stepping back from Star Trek: Discovery

Sure, they couch it in "He's real busy!", but even the article references that they are nowhere with casting on this.

I try to stay out of the SJW fights on the internet, but even I have to admit they seem to be more concerned with scoring diversity points than actually getting something people want to see out the door.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I suppose CBS was feeling frustrated at the lack of progress...which is understandable given that they don't have a cast yet and are supposed to start filming in a couple weeks. This whole thing is looking more and more like an unmitigated disaster.

spronk

FPS noob
to boldly go where no one wants to go

or

crap tv: the final frontier

or

the needs of the few outweigh the good of the many

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Star Trek: Discovery Casts Michelle Yeoh

Star Trek: Discovery is an agonizing almost year away, but here's something to help hold us over until May 2017: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon star Michelle Yeoh has been cast as a Starfleet Captain, Deadline reports.

Though Discovery's main character will have a female "Number One" serving as lieutenant commander on the Federation starship Discovery -- don't look for Yeoh on that vessel. She'll reportedly play Han Bo, leader of the ship Shenzhou. That means the lead character, rumored to be another non-white female, may be second in command.

Star Trek: Discovery: Everything you need to know about the new series

That wouldn't be the first time the main character isn't a commanding officer on Star Trek -- Benjamin Sisko, played by Avery Brooks on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, rose through the ranks after starting as commander -- but then, this iteration of the franchise is expected to explore all kinds of new dimensions, including having at least one gay character.

Star Trek: Discovery -- which is set 10 years before the original Star Trek TV shows -- will debut its premiere episode on CBS in May 2017 before moving exclusively to CBS' digital venture CBS All-Access.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Fucking god dammit that article pissed me off. Why the fuck does everything have to be about race and gender. Asian gay black trans whatever I don't give a fuck what they cast, just make a good show.

"they cast a non-white!!!!!!!!! and they might cast another!!!!! holy shittttttttt!!@@@"

spronk

FPS noob
there were plenty of gay men on TNG

gpDXGW0.jpg

Qhue

Trump's Staff
They added Doug Jones (Abe Sapien from Hellboy) to play a science officer of a new alien species.

They also announced Anthony Rapp (Mark Cohen from RENT) will be another science officer (wait... more than one person can do science on a starship?!?!) who is an astromycologist aka space-shroom-guy.

This could be cool what with a) natural comedy of having a fungus expert whose work will almost certainly NOT be a core aspect of whatever mission they are on and b) show a more realistic view of fundamental research where you stay very busy yet don't make miracles happen daily.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
This is TV some kind of space fungus will come up a couple times a season.

Siliconemelons

Calling it now, line within the first 3 episodes "my mentor *or somesuch* Dr. Phlox taught me so much about space fungus!"

or general equivalent of line :p

everyone loves saying dr phlox

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Welp, my interest went from excited to mildly optimistic to I'll wait and see... Really sounds like creative differences between him and CBS, and I had a lot more faith in Fuller delivering a good show than CBS.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
yeah at first when they announced it i was fine with it because he would still contribute creatively and wrote a couple scripts, and outlined the season. Now, meeeeeeh

spronk

FPS noob
pretty soon it won't be a show about space, it'll be a show about what life is like in trump internment camps for trans muslims