Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Eh, I thought they did a pretty fair job over the course of ESB and RotJ establishing that part of him still cared for Luke but he was too fucked up and far down his dark side path. Luke even tells Leia he can feel the good in him before he goes off for the confrontation.

I think the redemption arc would get ripped apart by nerds today itself. Super extreme face of evil in the entire universe saved by the power of love...give me a break man!
They do have some throw away lines from Luke in ROTJ claiming that Vader still has good in him, which every characters says nope to. You can see it coming in ROTJ due to a couple of those lines but it is self contained in that movie. In ESB Vader's only line on the subject is Luke will join the dark side or die. And then proceeds to kick Luke's ass. The only reason Luke gets away is he basically commits suicide but fails. Vader doesn't just let him get away or stop himself from killing Luke in ESB.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Vader clearly holds back in ESB when he could have wrecked Luke. I think it was implied that he was doing that intentionally because he didn't want to kill him. He pretty clearly wasn't as gung-ho as he appeared to be in his talk with The Emperor.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The emperor knew Vader wasn't going to kill Luke anyway, he really just wanted to nab Luke as Vader's replacement, while Vader fantasized that he could get rid of the Emp with Luke's help.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I'm neither in my 30s not an accountant. Get rekt scrub.
Hey Keg, since i don't want you to come back and troll the gun thread ill post a pic of the handgun you should get for your first pistol. Be careful the mag tends to misfeed some, but it looks super cool.

rrr_img_121091.jpg

khorum

Murder Apologist
Fairly sad that Star Wars is only marginally more popular then Jurassic park.
Jurassic World is counting China. TFA doesn't open in China till the 9th.

Of course with a Female Lead and Darth Daquan as her boyfriend it might not do too well in China.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
It really seems odd to me that it has been 10 years since Episode III. I mean rationally I knew it was quite awhile ago, but I think the overall lack of relevance to anything else meant it was easy to simply ignore. I was interested in Episode III when it came out and certainly saw it opening day, but wasn't particularly motivated by any of the merchandise and even among friends we did not discuss it much afterwards other than laughing about dying of a broken heart and abandoning your kids...

I got the "Making of..." book for Episode III, but only because I had gotten all the others over the years and really enjoyed seeing the concept art and pondering what might have been. For X-mas I got the Art book for Episode VII and I have been pouring over that sucker for the last couple of days just soaking all the different ideas that they had in play at one time. I have a feeling that several of those concepts will make some kind of appearance later on and certainly a few of them already showed up in Rebels, but I am just much more eager to know more about the world of Episode VII than I have been in ages. Much of that has to do with the quality of the movie I am sure, but also the sense of being in terra incognita for the first time since 1983. No matter what happened in Episode I-III we knew where we were going ultimately and that diffused a good portion of the mystery and suspense. Now we don't have that sense of certainty and it offers up a rich opportunity for speculation.

I also have to credit the Clone Wars and to a slightly lesser degree Rebels for carrying the torch over the last half decade. There was some truly stellar storytelling done with the Clone Wars series and part of me wonders if there isnt an excellent opportunity now to have a new animated series that bridges ROTJ and TFA.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
I've tried getting into the Clone Wars cartoon as I've heard many good things about it, but I can't get past my aggressive dislike of the art style/animation.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It really seems odd to me that it has been 10 years since Episode III. I mean rationally I knew it was quite awhile ago, but I think the overall lack of relevance to anything else meant it was easy to simply ignore. I was interested in Episode III when it came out and certainly saw it opening day, but wasn't particularly motivated by any of the merchandise and even among friends we did not discuss it much afterwards other than laughing about dying of a broken heart and abandoning your kids...

I got the "Making of..." book for Episode III, but only because I had gotten all the others over the years and really enjoyed seeing the concept art and pondering what might have been. For X-mas I got the Art book for Episode VII and I have been pouring over that sucker for the last couple of days just soaking all the different ideas that they had in play at one time. I have a feeling that several of those concepts will make some kind of appearance later on and certainly a few of them already showed up in Rebels, but I am just much more eager to know more about the world of Episode VII than I have been in ages. Much of that has to do with the quality of the movie I am sure, but also the sense of being in terra incognita for the first time since 1983. No matter what happened in Episode I-III we knew where we were going ultimately and that diffused a good portion of the mystery and suspense. Now we don't have that sense of certainty and it offers up a rich opportunity for speculation.

I also have to credit the Clone Wars and to a slightly lesser degree Rebels for carrying the torch over the last half decade. There was some truly stellar storytelling done with the Clone Wars series and part of me wonders if there isnt an excellent opportunity now to have a new animated series that bridges ROTJ and TFA.

Yeah I really think, for that reason and others, that prequels always suck. There are no stakes, we already know the outcome.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I really think, for that reason and others, that prequels always suck. There are no stakes, we already know the outcome.
Yep. And while it's been beaten to death, it's worth repeating you can't write a blank check with Redemption Arcs. Vader was redeemed so Lucas could do whatever the fuck he wanted except have Anakin rape Padme. He probably considered that.

Whereas...

How the fuck does Kylo redeem himself after ep 7? Is he redeemable? Questions at least we can ask.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This shit is essentially a good old greek tragedy thing right? So patricide is like a point of no return. I can see him being redeemed but it will involve sacrificing himself in the process. Which I can totally see them doing since it mimics his grandpa hero Vader's redemption.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Patricide is irredemeemable...so one way he could be redeemed is if Han wasn't really his father.

Fuckers already took my money, but it would still work out if Kylo Ren is actually Han and Leia's adopted son and his father is really Luke.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Trevorrow is prolly already sitting in on episode 8 script work, so I bet we'll see clues of how Kylo gets his in ep9.... pretty sure Leia's gonna be a big part of it tho.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Patricide is irredemeemable...so one way he could be redeemed is if Han wasn't really his father.

Fuckers already took my money, but it would still work out if Kylo Ren is actually Han and Leia's adopted son and his father is really Luke.
I was thinking the same thing. Kylo did something we haven't seen in the movies, regarding the dark side. Vader did everything he did to protect Padme. Darth Plageous learned how to resurrect his loved ones.

Kylo has done the opposite. There is no redemption and he needs to be put down.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I was thinking the same thing. Kylo did something we haven't seen in the movies, regarding the dark side.Vader did everything he did to protect Padme.Darth Plageous learned how to resurrect his loved ones.

Kylo has done the opposite. There is no redemption and he needs to be put down.
You mean besides 'killing' her? lol

I don't disagree with Kylo but he seems completely unhinged more than evil.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I liked that there was no overt faggotry in this one like ewoks or gungans. But I didn't like that they overtly inserted video game commercials into the movie. At least this time the video games were starfighter sequences and not fucking pod races.