Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
For a long time this thread was marked as a Spoiler thread. Why'd the tag fall off?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Because the large batch of leaked spoilers from the alleged insider were all bullshit.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I didn't want to open the thread for fear of confirmed, untagged spoilers, so I was just curious if it was safe to read.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dude, if major stuff like that ever gets leaked, you're going to see it somewhere unless you never go on the internet again.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Get ready for incoming shit storm
rrr_img_99628.jpg

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
!!

Original Script Solves A Long Running Mystery
The script was discovered in a Canadian library

A newly discovered Star Wars script solves one of the longest-running disputes in the franchise's history: who shot first, Han Solo or Greedo?

In Stars Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Han Solo has just finished conducting business in the Mos Eisley Cantina on Tatooine, when Greedo, a bounty hunter working for Jabba the Hutt, pulls him aside for a little chat, demanding that Solo pay Jabba the money he owes him for a botched smuggling job.

What happens next is undisputed. There was a quick gun fight and Solo emerged victorious, while Greedo went on to whatever afterlife the Rodians believe in. But who shot first? Was Solo acting in self-defense? Or just doing whatever he could to get out of paying Jabba?

According to CBC, a recently discovered early draft of the Star Wars script makes it clear that Solo was the trigger-happy aggressor in the fight. The script, which Lucasfilm Publicity said looked to be a "fan-made" replica version of the real early script, was unearthed in the University of New Brunswick Library's science-fiction collection. It is marked as a "fourth draft" and dated March 15, 1976, well ahead of the film's 1977 release date. It is such an early draft of the script that the film is called Star Wars: Saga I instead of its eventual title of Star Wars: A New Hope and Luke Skywalker's character has the much more ominous name of "Luke Starkiller."

But for fans, one of the most interesting revelations resolves the case of the shoot-out at the cantina. In the original, Solo fires at Greedo without warning. The 1997 version of the film altered the scene to make it look like Solo was acting in self-defense. It was a move that enraged fans (though not as much as the introduction of Jar Jar Binks). But librarian Kristian Brown, who discovered the script, told CBC, "Based on the script, I can tell you 100%, Han shot first."

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
That was a mystery? It was only ever a dispute because of George's revisionist tendencies.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I thought there was a picture of Lucas wearing a "Han Shot First" shirt. I dunno, maybe it was shooped.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, a friend posted the article on Facebook except it said Luke's original name was skykiller. I figured it was someone who only saw the special edition and was like, WHOA HAN WAS SUPPOSED TO SHOOT FIRST???

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Starkiller. Hence the Bendak Starkiller character in KOTOR and the Starkiller character in the Force Unleashed games.

j00t

Oh, yeah I know. The article said skykiller. Which is why I immediately figured it was someone who wasn't very knowledgeable about the series in the first place. That's not a new script. We've all known it was starkiller for decades

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
That was a mystery? It was only ever a dispute because of George's revisionist tendencies.
Well George claimed that it was an "error" that Han appeared to shoot first and it was never intended. Nobody really believed him, but I guess the idea here is we have proof he's lying.

j00t

Well George claimed that it was an "error" that Han appeared to shoot first and it was never intended. Nobody really believed him, but I guess the idea here is we have proof he's lying.
Sure, but do we need that? I mean I get that your not necessarily defending the viewpoint, just explaining it so this isn't directed at you. It's just stupid. No one saw the special edition and thought, "this is lucas' true, original vision!!" We all saw it and thought it was a guy who couldn't leave a painting alone and put too much on the canvas. There were some nice shots, sure, but the overall work was dragged down by a ton of minor tweaks that shouldn't have happened. The ONLY things that should have been touched were things like touching up the original special effects. I'm thinking about on hoth where the cockpit's were transparent and the space battles where you could see the boxes around the tie fighters. Everything else absolutely did not happen and everyone is basically in agreement with that. Except for Lucas, of course but who cares what he thinks at this point