Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Lucas doesn't need any help in making himself look like a hack.

Bonch

Golden Knight of the Realm
Does anyone else see a resemblance between
sw-tfa-teaser-2-03-700x292.png

and
images

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
to be fair to Lucas, even though he is a terrible director now and likely a hack, the reason why his prequels were abominations was that he lost touch with the concept of the original SW films, films that were NOT his sole vision. Abrams i will bet didnt work on this without feedback from a dozen other artists, artists who more than likely grew up with star wars. Lucas just figured that since he made star wars a thing 30 years earlier, he still knows how to make star wars a thing for modern times. and thats where he fucked the pooch.

its like Wonder Bread, when i was a kid, Wonder Bread was one of the best breads there was, it was so soft and smushy that you had to be careful touching it because your fingerprints would be embedded in it. the taste was so good that you could just eat the bread by itself. fast forward 30 years. the bread has a cardboard texture and tastes like it too. it went out of business once and it was brought back because of the idea that it was once awesome. hopefully Abrams gets this right and doesnt pull a Wonderbread 2.0, which still sucks.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Another thing that I am really enjoying about the previews so far is the direction that the director took with the set design. Unlike Star Trek, it appears he is choosing not to over embellish the set by adding unnecessary lighting that practically blinds the audience.

While I think the new broad sword light saber might be a little bit much, it would make sense that as time progressed, new designs would come out. I hope the fight choreography reflects the practical need for that design. I was not a fan of the double sided light saber that broke into 2 light sabers from Part 1 because of the time line associated with the movies. That seemed to be more a design that would have evolved, rather than having existed previous to the original 3 movies.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
This just feels like Star Wars. Especially when the chrome trooper was chasing the Millennium Falcon. Mother of God.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Another thing that I am really enjoying about the previews so far is the direction that the director took with the set design. Unlike Star Trek, it appears he is choosing not to over embellish the set by adding unnecessary lighting that practically blinds the audience.

While I think the new broad sword light saber might be a little bit much, it would make sense that as time progressed, new designs would come out. I hope the fight choreography reflects the practical need for that design. I was not a fan of the double sided light saber that broke into 2 light sabers from Part 1 because of the time line associated with the movies. That seemed to be more a design that would have evolved, rather than having existed previous to the original 3 movies.
Except that isn't how technology works in Star Wars. Ever notice that the modern era of Star Wars has the exact same tech level as the Old Republic? Technology is almost completely stagnant in the Star Wars galaxy. Things get lost and rediscovered over the hundreds or thousands of years. Temporary innovation does occur, like the evolution of the fighter crafted used by the Rebel Alliance during the war, but in general the technology hasn't changed between the two eras.

*edit*

The only truly out of place technological advancement I've heard of in the modern era was the Sun Crusher superweapon, and thankfully that stupid shit isn't canon anymore.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
It doesn't really look like the tech progressed a whole lot. There has to be "some" progression at least. People aren't going to sit on their asses for 30 years.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Except that isn't how technology works in Star Wars. Ever notice that the modern era of Star Wars has the exact same tech level as the Old Republic? Technology is almost completely stagnant in the Star Wars galaxy. Things get lost and rediscovered over the hundreds or thousands of years. Temporary innovation does occur, like the evolution of the fighter crafted used by the Rebel Alliance during the war, but in general the technology hasn't changed between the two eras.

*edit*

The only truly out of place technological advancement I've heard of in the modern era was the Sun Crusher superweapon, and thankfully that stupid shit isn't canon anymore.
I suppose it could easily be said that certain dark individuals choose to over embellish their weapons because it is a part of what going down the dark side is all about. They take every advantage possible simply because that is their nature. The "good" side does not feel a need to do this as they attune to the force in a different way. As long as the fight choreography matches the evolution, it is all good.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
In addition to the stagnant tech angle, there were basically 4 people in the entire original trilogy-verse that could even use lightsabers, and they happened to like "vanilla" or whatever. In the prequels you had a factor of hundreds more lightsaber users so obviously you're going to have more designs out there.

There's also the meta-fact that Lucas just didn't have the idea for non-longsword-style sabers at first too, but there's plenty of in-universe ways to explain it.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Even if the tech existed for a certain lightsaber style, it's a weapon. Fighting techniques have to be taught. No one is going to employ a double-ended lightsaber if they can't use it effectively because no one is around to teach them how.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Surprised we've never seen like... A light saber pike/ lance. It would probably be effective. Also I think the guys from "The Raid" are in this movie. Should be awesome.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
There are people who thought this trailer sucked? Burn in the fire of negs faggots.

Also, the hamster looks like he's gonna be fukin legit in this movie. I expected all the old people to be shit filler that are necessary to make a transition, but I legitimately think he could still play a role.

Even han's appearance didn't bother me, and I'm a firm believe that ford has become an utterly shit actor.

moontayle

Golden Squire

*edit*

Think of it in terms of how Earth's societies have ebbed and flowed throughout history. One rises, another falls, rinse, repeat. Now think about how long that takes, how a lot of it is tied into technology. The Roman Empire is probably the best example, they simply outclassed everyone for a very, very long time, but eventually even their achievements couldn't keep up with the demands of the Empire. There's a point where everything just... plateaus. At that point, usually something else comes along and takes the place of the dominant society but this Universe that Lucas crafted seems to abide by the idea that the primary society, the Republic, rises and falls and rises again without something else coming along to take its place. Until Palpatine basically usurps all the power and forces the Republic to change into the Empire. It's not so much that technology doesn't advance, it's that there's so many "falls" of the dominant society overall, mostly through war, that some things are just lost and once they're lost, they need to be discovered again. So actual technological progression is slow and why things haven't seemed to change for a few millennia. At least, that's how I theorize things to have been.

Part of it is the music they used.Binary Sunsetfrom Ep IV when Luke was looking out to the horizon is probably my favorite of all the Star Wars music. It is very powerful and really amazing how even now, almost 40 years later, John Williams' score is completely undiminished.
good song

Juvarisx

Florida
If the biggest complaint of the movie ends up being the lightsword, then its going to be a fucking amazing movie.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I just hope it has it's own style. Using it like a normal Light Sabre would be kind of dumb. But if the guy has a unique style that'd be cool.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If the biggest complaint of the movie ends up being the lightsword, then its going to be a fucking amazing movie.
This...nerds need to tell us more how lens flare and Bale's Batman voice ruined everything for them.