Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
They could kick off TROOPS as real series and I'd buy it. Do it like 21 Jump Street or Rush Hour.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Make a movie about a blue alien named Mitth'raw'nuruodo that climbs up the ranks of the imperial navy against bias, xenophobia and prejudice.

That's a blockbuster that writes itself.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't know about loosing a large portion. They'll loose some of the core fans who, you're right, do drive the merchandising machine. But I think the general audience doesn't pick up on that stuff as readily to begin with, won't get as miffed about it, and that's good enough for the movies to hit $1B like clockwork.

Mark Hamill voices fierce disagreements behind the scenes to Rian Johnson on Episode 8 direction and storyline. Disagreements plural.

Its interesting, that's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Will be :
-ESB 2.0
-8 more imperial uniforms added
-Rey or Kylo gets part of a limb cut off
-Rey discovers who is her parents
-Finn ends up in hibernation at the end

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Mark Hamill voices fierce disagreements behind the scenes to Rian Johnson on Episode 8 direction and storyline. Disagreements plural.

Its interesting, that's all I'm saying.

Do Hamill's reservations about Rian Johnson's story merit another comparison to ESB ? Because he went round and round with Kershner and Kasdan disagreeing with the direction they were taking Luke during that production as well. Daisy Ridley went to Johnson after her initial read of the script with the same sort of objections about Rey also.

Last edited:

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
I wasnt figuring on any interviews with my guess/forecast other than previous movie safe move. VII was good but same? Better than R1 and probably the safer course give past movie releases under a different owner.

As for the interviews, what scares me is it might be a poorly written/directed crap fest. If some actors and others are not agreeing with whats presented that calls for pause on if this is going to be a popcorn movie you see in the $1 bin later or something good fan would expect.

Not saying Mark is a genius but he has been near the fan base for a long time and heard a TON of stories over those year i'm sure. It would be nice to learn if the writers/director made some if very little use of this resource but it seems that may not be the case. This is the same with George, while I dont like his writing/directing style, wonderful things developed with someone else in the seat and he was involved.

Given "The Mouse"'s ok on R1 with how rebels are presented, I almost expect Luke to go on a murder spree like his father until someone kills him.

Honestly I am hoping all is good, but in reality I will be going in as if my pirate friend might be telling me I have Space Herpes!

• 1Like

Royal

Yeah I was responding more to jay (shoulda quoted him, quick edit) because he posted a TLJ=ESB video prior to the Mark disagrees one.

• 1Like

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
A lot of movies ride on similar themes and can viewed as rehashes in some degree, even within its own series. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in it, just enjoy it. Too much criticism makes everyone miserable.

joz123

Potato del Grande
It's fucking Star Wars. Just watch it and stop bitching.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Royal

As for the interviews, what scares me is it might be a poorly written/directed crap fest. If some actors and others are not agreeing with whats presented that calls for pause on if this is going to be a popcorn movie you see in the $1 bin later or something good fan would expect.

For me there isn't enough context with his concerns (or Ridley's) to know if those are bad signs or not. They wouldn't be the first actors to become invested in the characters they're playing, especially when they're recurring roles. Such actors sometimes end up wanting certain things or creating certain expectations for their characters. That can be especially true in a case like Hamill's where he's had well over 30 years to imagine all of the things that might have become of Luke after RoTJ. But those desires don't necessarily serve to make a story that is larger than they are a good one (although they might make dedicated Luke Skywalker fans very happy).

And sometimes an actor's trepidation about where a role is going isn't born out of the belief that it will hurt the overall story but rather can they as an actor do what that direction is going to call for. They may be uneasy about going to the emotional headspace to deliver the performance that is being called for.

The only thing I take away from it is that they're really invested into their characters (which I already knew in Hamill's case) and that is a good thing.

• 1Like

Feanor

Karazhan Raider

I wouldn't say that. Had Kershner listened to Hamill's complaints ESB likely would have sucked.

Royal

I wouldn't say that. Had Kershner listened to Hamill's complaints ESB likely would have sucked.

For what it's worth I've never seen the context of his issues with Kershner either (just interviews where both Kershner and Hamill have mentioned that they disagreed at the time) so you can't even apply that history to this instance. You can only judge the finished product which most consider either the best or second best installment in the franchise.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
The return of the Jedi. The last Jedi. ? The return of more than one Jedi. Then The probably last Jedi for realsies

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
For what it's worth I've never seen the context of his issues with Kershner either (just interviews where both Kershner and Hamill have mentioned that they disagreed at the time) so you can't even apply that history to this instance. You can only judge the finished product which most consider either the best or second best installment in the franchise.

What of the pre-pre-production Episode 7 interviews and comments by Mark Hamill? Before he even knew the script. Surely some application there, since we might assume that is the point where he voiced relevant expectation.

I could try to locate them. I know he spoke at length about what he thought his role was, and what it should be. But there is so much tape on it, it would take a special kind of autism to draw a context.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Oh ya, I have seen actors become salty on what they wish for their role or the franchise. Can completely understand their side but yet hold what they complain about with a granule of salt.

Richard-and-Centurions_750-pixels.jpg

• 1Like

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
For me there isn't enough context with his concerns (or Ridley's) to know if those are bad signs or not. They wouldn't be the first actors to become invested in the characters they're playing, especially when they're recurring roles. Such actors sometimes end up wanting certain things or creating certain expectations for their characters. That can be especially true in a case like Hamill's where he's had well over 30 years to imagine all of the things that might have become of Luke after RoTJ. But those desires don't necessarily serve to make a story that is larger than they are a good one (although they might make dedicated Luke Skywalker fans very happy).

And sometimes an actor's trepidation about where a role is going isn't born out of the belief that it will hurt the overall story but rather can they as an actor do what that direction is going to call for. They may be uneasy about going to the emotional headspace to deliver the performance that is being called for.

The only thing I take away from it is that they're really invested into their characters (which I already knew in Hamill's case) and that is a good thing.
That sums up the way I think of it as well. Makes me wonder how ticked off what's his name, Robb Stark dude, musta felt when he first heard the grisly news haha.

Actors usually have their preconceived notions about their roles. Often their input is a boon and sometimes it isn't, which is a healthy part of any collaborative process.

• 1Like