Steam Deals and Digital Sales

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
For as poorly as that's been received and how big the updates to it have been, it's on sale way too infrequently. That's the lowest it ever drops to.

spronk

FPS noob
its $36 on steam too i wouldn't buy it at that price, when its $15-20 it'll be decent enough to run for 2-3 hours and never play again (you could probably even get a refund)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I know it is old, but if you have never played this game do yourself a favor an buy it, @ $2.49 it is a steal. I have a physical copy around here somewhere, but I grabbed the digital just to make life easy for the inevitable replay.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sid Meier's Pirates was a fucking blast. Someone needs to remake it with only updated graphics but keep the mechanics the same.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Sid Meier's Pirates was a fucking blast. Someone needs to remake it with only updated graphics but keep the mechanics the same.
The one I linked early is the remake from 2005 with much improved graphics over the 1987 original (linked below).

Last edited:

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Why does it seem like half the games out on Steam now are animu sex adventure games. Do these things actually sell?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Wish they'd go nuts with these tags... I want to see things like number of co-op players (6-player co-op) as a tag instead of just 'co-op'
Agreed, I am always looking for kid friendly 4 player co-op & 4 player versus.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I know it is old, but if you have never played this game do yourself a favor an buy it, @ $2.49 it is a steal. I have a physical copy around here somewhere, but I grabbed the digital just to make life easy for the inevitable replay.

I have been curious about this for years and at this price you can't afford not too!

• 1SJW
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
I'm trying to learn how to play this game. I'm just getting items and taking over ships? Then I dance. My crew gets mad after awhile even with items. Repeat.

Rime

<Donor>
I'm trying to learn how to play this game. I'm just getting items and taking over ships? Then I dance. My crew gets mad after awhile even with items. Repeat.

You have to cash out/retire your ship once in a while. It splits the gold you have with the crew and they leave. You 'retire' and then can pick up a new crew to go back out.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk

Like Rime said, periodically you have to go to a port and divide up the plunder among your crew. Basically, you need to pay them for the work they're doing. If you sail around too long without doing that, they'll start getting pissy. One great strategy is to divide up the plunder immediately after a big battle where you suffered a lot of casualties. This way you have fewer people to divide the gold among, which means bigger shares for everyone. What I often do when I know I'm ready to divide it up is attack a big Spanish Galleon or something, which tends to be a) lucrative and b) kills a lot of my dudes.

In addition to standard pirate stuff, there are actual missions in the game. You need to find your lost sister, kill the other famous pirates, locate the buried treasures, and some other things. They're all optional, but completing them adds to your score at the end when you retire.

A few tips:
- Don't be afraid to take on ships/cities that are way more populated and powerful than you. If you're really good at sword fighting, you can theoretically win any battle if you can storm the ship/walls before getting blowed up.
- Don't waste your time with land battles
- Playing as the Spanish is boring. Don't do it! Netherlands4life!
- Save frequently and if you get captured reload. Sitting in prison and aging/losing your stuff sucks.
- Always choose Medicine as your starting skill. Nothing beats several more years of pirating before becoming old and frail.

Another pro tip: you can pause the game during the sword fighting and dancing parts if you want to cheese it. Ample use of pausing lets you basically cheese these parts because it removes the need to have fast reflexes.

Pirates! is probably in my top 3 games of all time. I played the original as a kid on my dad's Tandy 2000. Then one of the first games I bought myself was the "Conquer the World" pack that included a slightly updated version of the game that ran on Windows 95(?). I still have my physical copy of the most recent remake, complete with instruction manual and map of the Caribbean. I fucking love this game and to this day I play it once or twice a year.