Steam Deals and Digital Sales

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Oh neat, according to the faggot who negged me, my opinion is edgy. How edgy do I have to be before I'm an edgelord? That's on my bucket list.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well. Where's the praise now?
Uh the list of game that are at their historically lowest is fucking huge. Not sure what your point is. A lot of devs are putting their shit at the flash sales price the entire time, some aren't, but some also didn't do flash sales at all in the past years, or would do a shitty normal sale price then flash sale at a meh price. Unless you have some actual evidence that prices are generally higher than previous sales flash sales, it sounds to me like you're bitching because you just don't see anything that interests you/the stuff that interests you isn't on sale hard enough, which happened last year, and the year before and so on. People have been bitching at "shitty sales" for years now, because some devs don't discount their shit a whole lot, and because they already bought everything they wanted in previous sales.

Most of the games on my wishlist are at steam's lowest price during this sale. A few aren't. It might have been better with flash sales, but it also means I don't have to check steam sales twice a day not to miss shit, so meh.

Rime

<Donor>
And some games are not even on sale, unless you buy a stupid franchise bundle.

Want FarCry 4? $50 or you can get the 'franchise pack' for $58! (Includes 1-4)

Alternatively, go to D2D or Amazon, better deals on MANY games can be found there.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I picked up a few games from my wishlist that were on sale for 80-90% off (even though I may not even get around to playing some). Also grabbed Grim Dawn for -40%, which didn't seem too bad for a new game. Maybe some of the stuff on my list would have gone lower during a flash sale, but not having to check every day for special sales is nice. Another perk about a flat sale rate is that I can now buy and play some games during the actual holidays, instead of feeling like I shouldn't buy anything until 2 weeks later on the final day in case it may or may not go lower at some point.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Had been that way forever too, Steam sales haven't been the absolute best sales for everything ever since... other stuff started doing sales. That's why you just buy the steam stuff you see that's at a good price, and go for other sites when they don't. Flash sales didn't change that, Ubisoft/Square still often had terrible prices on their flash sales and you could find their shit cheaper in other places.

I mean all you have to do is just click a few dozens of pages back and read last years posts about the winter sale, and you'll see a ton of people complaining that the flash deal for some shit isn't even the lowest price the game has ever been or that the winter sale sucked, even though it still had flash/daily sales. Some sure took into account the flash thing and cut their prices further, but a lot would just have their shit at 20%(with a stupid high base price) like cod and farcry and what not, and then when the flash sale came, they had this "huge" sale at -66% or whatever, which wasn't even a good price when compared to other shops, and you only had a day or two to get them at that price otherwise it was the same as the game not even being on sale at all.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I bet Steam is popular enough now that they don't need super sales to make money.

I bought KOTOR 1 and 2 because I have never played them. 3 bucks seemed okay.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I bet Steam is popular enough now that they don't need super sales to make money.

I bought KOTOR 1 and 2 because I have never played them. 3 bucks seemed okay.
KOTOR 1 is one of my favorite games of all time, and probably the best Star Wars game I have ever played. I did have issues trying to play the PC port, though. Part 2 has apparently been patched to fix a lot of problems the game had (it was rushed and originally released with content missing, even on console) and I've heard a lot of great things about the fix but haven't played it yet myself.

Overall I found this sale to be underwhelming. All the big titles I've been holding off on are nowhere near cheap enough to pick up yet, so instead I'm going for a bunch of primarily smaller titles. Here's my cart so far (prices in Canadian dollars):

- Half Minute Hero Bundle (2.19)
- Lightfish (1.09)
- Rock Boshers DX (1.55)
- Retro City Rampage (I cleared it on PS3 but loved it and would play it through again) (2.74)
- Aqua Kitty (1.55)
- King's Quest Chapter 1 (0.99)
- Koi-Koi Japan (1.09)
- Grim Fandango Remastered (3.39)
- Suguri Collection (2.19)
- Super Win The Game (1.31)
- Cosmic DJ (0.82)

That's 13 games for $18.91 CDN, which is a pretty good deal, but I might pull a few of those games out of the list simply because the chances are pretty good I'll see them in a Humble Bundle down the line.

Column_sl

shitlord
ARK is cheap right now and amazing, do it!
I ended up getting it. Was running kind of strange on Epic settings till I saw this community post that said to put -SM4 in the start up on steam.

Pretty cool game tho. Like it better then most of the survival games so far.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I ended up getting it. Was running kind of strange on Epic settings till I saw this community post that said to put -SM4 in the start up on steam.

Pretty cool game tho. Like it better then most of the survival games so far.
There are much better ways to increase performance than gutting the engine down to SM4/D3D10, that's a last resort which should only be used by people with hardware that barely meets the minimum requirements, and even then it will break parts of the game (like, you can't do anything underwater because it causes artifacts with the seaweed). Pretty much no one tries to run the game on full Epic settings; you can knock most of that shit down a level or two and barely even see a difference while getting huge fps gains.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
yeah, I noticed my FPS isn't what I was expecting it to be on epic at 2560x1080 and a 980ti, but just never bothered to tinker after a snake at me and I quit. Was just tinkering to see if it'd be a good game for a LAN next month
smile.png

Sulrn

Deuces
Out of 9 games on my wishlist (1 released this month officially) only 3 are on sale. 2 of those have the same sale price as the fall sale, the last isn't at it's historic low.

I guess I'm biased, but I want flash sales back even if it only gets that 1 game back to historic low or any of my non-sales on sale.

Nendyen_sl

shitlord
After the first two days of the sale last year, I had already purchased eight games (not counting DLCs).

After the first two days this year, I've yet to make a purchase. Bundle deals are annoying. I saw that Avernum 2 was listed as being 80% off on my wishlist. I load up the store page and see that it's only 80% off if I buy it in a bundle with a bunch of stuff I already own (the first Avernum and both Avadons) and shit that I don't want (Spiderwebs older games, all those Geneforges and whatnot).

I'm still eyeing Kings Quest, Blues and Bullets, and Pillars of Eternity but I kinda am leaning towards waiting for them to finish releasing content before I go after them.

Meh, maybe I'll pick up The Beginners Guide at $6. I enjoyed The Stanley Parable a lot.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
So far the only thing I'm considering is Dark Souls 2 and I still haven't got past one guy in DS1. Probably won't get it, but it's tempting.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Glad to see Dark Souls 2: SotFS on sale! Wanted to get this for a friend as I've had such a good time with it on PS4. Buddy has a 360 controller to attach to it so that's cool.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Picked up ARK, Darkest Dungeon and Elite: Dangerous. I want Just Cause 3 but not for the prices it's at; way too shallow a game from what I've seen.

I wasn't going to get Elite since No Man's Sky would satisfy my sandboxy space game when it comes out in June, but I'll probably be in stupid fucking Africa so won't get to play it for a year+ =/

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
My wishlist is 100 items and I mayyyyyyyyyyybbbeee will get 4-5 of them, and that mostly because of gift card money I got. Almost definitely getting Talos Principle, Dungeon Warfare, Satellite Reign, and Just Get Through, but all those are at historic lows anyway.