Stephen King's The Dark Tower

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ridas

Pay to play forum
It has been like 20 years since I read the books, but the trailer seems to be far removed from what I remember. Why are there orcs and why is the Gunslinger doing gang crime in Harlem? And I will be pissed if he doesnt kill an entire village like a killing robot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
i'm cautiously optimistic. King gave himself an out with his horn picture so it is like he gave the hand wave, 'this is a sequel, not the story itself!' which admittedly is a cheap cop out but still.

I am not comfortable with Idris Elba for a character that is supposed to be Clint Eastwood but Idris Elba does not suck so there is hope. Matthew McConaughey does not suck either. Good actors can only do so much however if the material they have to work with is terrible.

I think I am too optimistic about movies and am going to end up drowning in bitter tears of disappointment when this comes out.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Wow, fuck this.

The only comparison I can make in terms of completely ignoring the source material would be the old Dune movie.

• 1Solidarity

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Some eggs in that thar trailer.

1X9e4uj.png

OU8pvcC.png

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Wow, fuck this.

The only comparison I can make in terms of completely ignoring the source material would be the old Dune movie.

What, you don't like "The Dark Tower the Witch and the Wardrobe Part 1 : The Search for the Golden Compass?"

The trailer is such a throwback to when book serieses were getting adapted left and right.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
well, considering how the books collapsed after somewhere around the middle of wolves of the calla, (probably because King had written the manuscript for that one when his mind and the material was still fresh so that book was still fairly OK) I'm going to give this a go. Even if they skip on Eddie and Susannah, if they can at least give the story a proper ending and do the crimson king justice, instead of the "EEEEEEE" implosion of the books and the ridiculous apology for the ending, I'll be satisfied.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Looks awesome, just finished Wolves of the Calla and love Idris mostly due to Luther series but I am excited.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I guess if they just completely leave out Eddie and Susannah then the racial aspects don't come into play. I have forgotten, is this going to be one movie or a trilogy or something?

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I guess if they just completely leave out Eddie and Susannah then the racial aspects don't come into play. I have forgotten, is this going to be one movie or a trilogy or something?

I believe a trilogy with a TV series in the works that focuses on backstory / Wizards and Glass type stuff (with someone else playing a young Roland).

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The trailer impressed me.

Is this going to be a movie where all the book readers think it is dogshit and everyone else thinks it is great?

• 1Picard

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

Is this going to be a movie where all the book readers think it is dogshit and everyone else thinks it is great?

Hey now, I'm well prepared to both dislike this film and continue my dislike of the later books.

If it makes a fuckstack of cash that's also fine with me. I want my Long Walk movie before I go into the ground. Maybe get a Pet Semetary rework. Start a second age of King adaptations that don't suck.

• 1Solidarity

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

The tone and production seem far too Hollywood-ish/summer blockbuster. Basically what Arbitrary said already. I don't think its too much to ask for at least a minimal dedication to the source material these days given the improvements we've seen with bringing geek culture to the screen by HBO and Hollywood. Based on this trailer I'd say Logan probably had a better gunslinger feel than this will, and that was a damn MCU film.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I've been swindled by trailers before so I'm not getting the pitchforks just yet but I hope it isn't as Narnia as it looks.

You could have done just the first book damn near verbatim for not a lot of cash and had a pretty cool little Weird West story but they instead cobbled together the first two books, deleted two or three main characters, and took the effects budget to the moon.

Might come out alright but I sure don't like that trailer.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It looked cool imo

But I'm worried because I don't know anything about these books, and people here who read them, some say the trailer looks garbage, others looks great.
Decide motherfuckers!!!!

Last edited: