Stephen King's The Dark Tower

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The last two books are a mess. Plus he writes himself into them which I hate. Just a mess.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The last two books are a mess. Plus he writes himself into them which I hate. Just a mess.
Are you implying that it is shit writing to have a character only ever mentioned in another brick of a book step through a literal magic door in the final pages of the series, say almost nothing, do almost nothing, and then beat the Big Bad of not only the series but the entire meta-fiction multiverse?

The more time goes by the more shit this series becomes for me.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
yall are gonna crucify me for this but hear me out.

I was watching TWD the other night and it struck me that Rick wouldnt be a terrible choice for Roland. He's not Eastwood, sure. But I could see it. Picture it. Tell me he wouldnt be a better choice than this fucking black dude.
you do realize Rick Grimes is the live action version of Randy Marsh?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
You do realize it's an actor playing a role and Rick Grimes isn't actually a real person?
you do realize you were watching a hammed up performance by a b grade actor and had an epiphany that he would also be a great Roland? a role created around the personae of Clint Eastwood.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
You do realize it's an actor playing a role and Rick Grimes isn't actually a real person?
That's just what he does. Simmons on Agents of SHIELD is forever Hermione to him. It bothered me at first, but I got used to it, and now I don't even sweat him over stuff like that (I hope) because once you realize it, who cares?

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
you do realize you were watching a hammed up performance by a b grade actor and had an epiphany that he would also be a great Roland? a role created around the personae of Clint Eastwood.
Lets aim the criticism where it belongs -- I was the one who said Rick would make an acceptable Roland.

To be clear, I never said a great Roland. But I could see it, and I stand by that. Remember that Roland is a man of few words; assuming the actor is capable of toning down Rick's overly emotional side and sticking to the cold killer side, he has the physical look to pull it off.

Its one of my major criticisms of Hollywood casting decisions. They place too much emphasis on "acting ability" (which I think is overrated; a better criterion would be compatibility between acting style and demands of the role. A mediocre actor thats well suited for the role is better than a great actor thats badly suited for the role. Keanu Reeves was a good John Wick but it wasnt about his acting ability) and not enough emphasis on physical appearance.

There is not enough makeup in the world to make this black dude look like Roland. Rick Grimes, even on his most overly emotional day, would make a far better Roland.

(not great --- just better)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That's just what he does. Simmons on Agents of SHIELD is forever Hermione to him. It bothered me at first, but I got used to it, and now I don't even sweat him over stuff like that (I hope) because once you realize it, who cares?
she will always be Hermione, nothing wrong with that, i'm a Reroller, we like Hermiones!

and andrew lincoln is now and forever rick grimes. it actually caused me cerebral pain to think of his real name.
smile.png

@Aldarion, im just busting your balls.

kinda

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Looks like Jake may have been cast too:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/da...rs-1201727356/

'Dark Tower' Taps Newcomer Tom Taylor for Jake Chambers Role (EXCLUSIVE)

'Dark Tower' Adds Newcomer Tom Taylor
With Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey now set to star in the adaptation of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower," Sony and MRC have found the actor to play the pivotal character of Jake Chambers in newcomer Tom Taylor.

Sources tell Variety that Taylor won the role after a worldwide search to find the young actor who would serve as the protege of Roland Deschain (Elba) in the upcoming films.

McConaughey is on board to play the Man in Black; "Mad Max: Fury Road" actress Abbey Lee also has a role in the film.

Sony and MRC declined to comment.

Nikolaj Arcel is directing the movie, currently set to bow on Feb. 17, 2017.

The first installment in the series of books focuses on Roland, the Gunslinger, establishing a relationship with Chambers.

The first book, "The Gunslinger," has already been adapted by Akiva Goldsman and Jeff Pinkner. Goldsman and Imagine Entertainment's Brian Grazer, Ron Howard and Erica Huggins will produce, while Pinkner will exec produce.

Sony will distribute the pic. MRC will also develop a TV series to go along with the film franchise. Production is set to start sometime this spring.

The role would mark Taylor's largest to date, having previously appeared in the British television series "Doctor Foster" in a recurring role. He is repped by Independent Talent Group.

rrr_img_128286.jpg

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Totally agree -- as long as he grows out the silly crew cut into something normal he would make a great Eddie.

Im curious why these articles keep mentioning the Max Max chick has been cast but never say which role. Theres only one major female character in the book; obviously she's Susanna/Detta. Which means that in the interests of racial diversity (casting some random black dude as Roland, thus necessitating a white Susanna) theyve actually eliminated the mixed race love story.

PS Yes Bryan Cranston would make 100x better Roland than this black dude.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Sigh. The man in black fled into the desert, and the well-groomed, sharply dressed, healthy and athletic man followed and took a selfie.

rrr_img_134001.jpg

Next they'll get some short guy to play Jack Reacher.

Tantrik

Golden Knight of the Realm
Picture that SK posted to twitter, hinting that the movie might be more of a sequel than straight-up adaptation.

rrr_img_134057.jpg