SWTOR

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah, there's that thread about the most disappointing games and I listed this, but I was the only one which kind of surprised me. I mean it's not awful, but I bought the hype going in.

This game was one of the few MMOs - maybe the only - that recovered from a disastrous launch to become something decent. I don't remember a game ever having hype as massive as SWTOR and of course it failed to live up to expectations and by 3 months in was a ghost town.

After 6 months though it got plenty better, in my opinion, and was pretty fun for a long time as a game to dip into for a few weeks, enjoy, and move on.

edit - damn that cinematic was good. Makes me want to log right in, hah.

Last edited:

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Does the game still have EQ2 levels of ability bloat? Is the camera movement speeds still tied to your fps?

I'm a huge Star Wars nerd, but every time I try to go back I last a week or so and leave again. Too many little things about it that add up to an un-fun experience. That cinematic was excellent, though.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I enjoy coming back a couple of times a year and playing it for what it is, a single player MMO.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
There's still a sort of mouse acceleration that you can't get rid of, but the new stories are quite polished. I recently went back and did all of the new story stuff, and also finished up the smuggler and warrior stories.

I was thinking you got some sort of title for finishing them all or getting to legacy level 40 or something? I don't think I got anything.

sike

Silver Knight of the Realm
I played this for a few months at release - enjoyed the leveling well enough. However, it was a huge disappointment after all the hype.

One of my biggest issues was the engine, the other was the ability bloat.

The cinematic for this new expansion looks awesome. Can you pick this up and play it like a single player KOTOR game nowadays? Can you level up on main story alone without the retarded kill 10 womp rat quests? Tempting to pick it up again...

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Can you pick this up and play it like a single player KOTOR game nowadays? Can you level up on main story alone without the retarded kill 10 womp rat quests? Tempting to pick it up again...

You can totally solo this these days. Even the flashpoints have had a solo mode added so you can play through the story.

As long as you subscribe you can level all the way up via just the Planet Storyline and the class story. You don't have to bother at all with the crap filler side quests. I'm not sure how playing without a sub effects that. They also currently have a 2x XP thing running so you level even faster.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Right. With 4.0 they made the leveling experience basically just going through the story. Once for your own class, which is usually broken up into 4 or 5 parts per planet, and once for the planet. As a sub it's usually more than enough to reach the point where you're capped on level for the planet you're on about 3/4 of the way through and it gets progressively better. I think by the time I hit Chapter 3 I was just doing the class story and was still like level 51 by the time I hit Makeb, which you can start at level 48 (47?).

They announced the system for progression at level 70, Galactic Command. Another leveling activity, this time by doing normal activities (PvP, GSF, Ops, FPs, and the new Uprisings) at lvl 70. Breakdown here. Also of note is that the gearing process is going to change. No more expertise... yay...

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
That actually seems really cool. Being SWTOR, it probably won't work at all the way it is intended to, but it looks like something that could be fun for awhile.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I think it's pretty cool too. Gearing was always simple anyway, my only worry is it might return back to the days of the Battlemaster boxes and be super stupid with the RNG. Of course, people are already bitching about GC being Sub-only, and I've seen the system being called P2W. It's a subscription game with a free-to-play option built in. And an extremely restrictive option at that. So yeah, the cool shit is for Subs only, kind of like how it's always been. Idiots.

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
I think it's pretty cool too. Gearing was always simple anyway, my only worry is it might return back to the days of the Battlemaster boxes and be super stupid with the RNG. Of course, people are already bitching about GC being Sub-only, and I've seen the system being called P2W. It's a subscription game with a free-to-play option built in. And an extremely restrictive option at that. So yeah, the cool shit is for Subs only, kind of like how it's always been. Idiots.
This is a bit more of an extreme limitation than before though. Per the post about gearing from Musco:
Gear will no longer drop from bosses as all gear will come from Command Crates. All cosmetic/unique drops will still remain on those bosses (Stronghold Decorations, Wings of the Architect, etc.).
So if it is true that Galactic Command is locked out to F2P players that means you're pretty much locked out of any gear upgrades once you hit max level until you get a sub. Isn't that a bit fucked up?

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Sounds like a pretty fucking stupid system to me. Of course we are talking about the same idiots that make you pay for hotbars if you don't subscribe, so it's not at all surprising.

I hate companies that half ass their monetization, either make a fully functional F2P option or don't. This toes in the water, "we know our game would be a ghost town without F2P players, but we hate them" bullshit makes me far less likely to play a game than if there were no option at all.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bottom line is they can't get a new license for a different Star Wars game, so instead they are going to try to cram the existing MMO playerbase through a cheese grater and hope whoever are left are too invested in their $$$ vanity purchases and "OMG Star Wars" to care.

Even if they did a total engine revamp I wouldn't play a SW game under Bioware ever again.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I think they should just make more Kotor stuff. I like the story stuff, and look forward to moar. I knew they had the ability from the pre-release concept art narrated story stuff they put on their website. I don't know if you can get to that anymore but it was sweet.

I think their art is improving a little as well. I never liked the early art direction. It sort of wanted to be a western cartoon, and sort of wanted to be realistic, and could never really decide. They've kind of gotten away from the giant weapons and goofy looking robey outfits.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Yes, it's basically rendering Weekly Operation Passes worthless.

Don't have to worry about that anymore, they've removed all the weekly passes as of this past weekend.

Seriously, fuck these guys. Can't wait until they inevitably change this shit when they actually realize that TOR wouldn't exist without F2P and they are basically telling the majority of their customers to go fuck themselves.

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Don't have to worry about that anymore, they've removed all the weekly passes as of this past weekend.

Seriously, fuck these guys. Can't wait until they inevitably change this shit when they actually realize that TOR wouldn't exist without F2P and they are basically telling the majority of their customers to go fuck themselves.
Don't worry, they'll compensate everyone with credits soon enough. Such a valuable and totally not inflated out the ass resource. I just can't wait.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Don't worry, they'll compensate everyone with credits soon enough. Such a valuable and totally not inflated out the ass resource. I just can't wait.

That would be hilarious since it would automatically go into your escrow due to the low credit cap and you'd have to turn around and spend real money to access the fake money they gave you for taking away items you bought with real money...lol. They should also reimburse anyone who paid for the armor unlocks as well since this change totally negates them also.

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Hey folks,

As we have discussed previously, Warzone Commendations and Commendation Crystals are being removed from the game with Knights of the Eternal Throne. Our intention is that all of these currencies will be converted into credits on 11/29 when early access starts. Here are the conversion rates for each currency:

1 Warzone Commendation = 50 Credits
1 Common Crystal = 500 credits
1 Glowing Crystal = 1,000 credits
1 Radiant Crystal = 1,500 credits

Upon logging in on 11/29 each of these currencies will be completely removed from the game and the appropriate credits will have been granted to each character on your account. Note that there is a 2 million credit per character limit on this conversion. Please check the conversion table above, if you would earn more than 2 million credits on a character, we recommend that you spend the appropriate currency before that time so that it is not lost. If you have any questions about this conversion, let us know.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

36dc5af842701346e279a24f65ea43bf.jpg