Taboo

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
At least things picked up a bit last eps.

Show's slow as balls - which I like. As long as it doesn't go all True Detective s2.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
I read that its planned as a 3 season story arc.

Its definitely NOT what I expected. I expected a jam packed action series where a Count of Monte Cristo type guy goes total ham on getting revenge on everyone who wronged him and his family. Instead its a weird slow burn where a dude who seems to want to be the Bill Gates of Canadian gunpowder makes his way around absolutely insane 1812 England. Its a LOT slower paced than I thought it was gonna be, but I am still enjoying it.

Another episode where the husband calls James the n word. I wonder if that actor is getting a lot of shit on twitter for saying it every episode. Also who needs VR when voodoo sex is a thing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think Delaney's master plan isn't necessarily to be rich and own everything. There's a reason he keeps saying he wants a different monopoly from each of the three factions. I think he just wants them to tear each other apart and he's just more or less keeping his illusion afloat. It seems like the shit he has from Africa makes him pretty wealthy already, not Rockefeller rich, but those diamonds not to mention whatever else he has stashed in Africa he's probably sitting pretty.

It being a miniseries it definitely seems like it'll all culminate in a "EVERYONE DIES WITH ME" type of scenario, but if Hardy wants a second season then maybe not.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
How retarded is the husband? Calling his brother in law names and yelling to the world his wife fucked her brother? No wonder their fortune is dwindling. He's an idiot

• 1Like

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Enjoying this series a lot. But holy fuck is it a mess as a non native english speaker and no subtitles. His butler and Capone are basically speaking chinese for all I care.

Other than that the very slow pace and dark atmosphere is right up my alley. The similarities to Mad Max are funny aswell. Weird flashbacks, dead people haunting him and the good old "Hhmm"- grunt as an answer to most questions.

Problem is, that they are building up alot of tension regarding his past. King advisor asking the Indian company dude "What the hell did you do to him, Stuart?", his tatoos, the witchcraft and so on. It is hard to not be disappointed, when you have that much time to let your imagination go wild and in the end it doesnt match up with what the writers have in mind. But maybe we are in for a good suprise.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Enjoying this series a lot. But holy fuck is it a mess as a non native english speaker and no subtitles. His butler and Capone are basically speaking chinese for all I care.

Other than that the very slow pace and dark atmosphere is right up my alley. The similarities to Mad Max are funny aswell. Weird flashbacks, dead people haunting him and the good old "Hhmm"- grunt as an answer to most questions.

Problem is, that they are building up alot of tension regarding his past. King advisor asking the Indian company dude "What the hell did you do to him, Stuart?", his tatoos, the witchcraft and so on. It is hard to not be disappointed, when you have that much time to let your imagination go wild and in the end it doesnt match up with what the writers have in mind. But maybe we are in for a good suprise.

Can't you just select the CC option on your Cable Box? Or are you ripping from the deep webs?

• 1Like

Ridas

Pay to play forum
From the webz. I don't think there is a normal option to watch it in germany yet.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just tossing my 2cp in the ring for those wondering if it's worth watching. Yes. Definitely. Agree with others that it has a Deadwood in London feel to it. Dark, gritty, realistic, machiavellian, layered. Fantastic acting- Tom Hardy is fucking amazing. Love the political gameplay and the three-way power struggle with Hardy caught in the middle. New favorite show.

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I wouldn't say he is caught in the middle so much as he has placed himself in the middle intentionally.

Anybody looking to metacritic or whatever for reviews, don't pay attention to the cocksucker critics giving it low scores after watching 2-3 episodes. It's a slow burn to start but the show is good.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wouldn't say he is caught in the middle so much as he has placed himself in the middle intentionally.

Anybody looking to metacritic or whatever for reviews, don't pay attention to the cocksucker critics giving it low scores after watching 2-3 episodes. It's a slow burn to start but the show is good.

I liked episodes 1-3 a lot, but it picked up speed quite a bit in episode 4.

James' father's death, his inheritance, and the coincidental value of the land to three of the period's biggest power players are what put James in the position he is in. He didn't choose any other those things and, in that regard, he became "caught in the middle." That said, there have been loads of opportunities in which he could have divested himself of the property. Instead, he chose to keep it and start to rebuild his father's company. In that regard, he is choosing to keep himself in the middle of extremely dangerous circumstances. Either way, it's a small point and it doesn't really matter-- he's in the middle regardless of how he got there.

• 1Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I want him to stop trying to fuck his sister and fuck his mom, she's kind of cool

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Metacritic is usually pretty accurate imo, but they are flat wrong on this show. 67 isn't a bad score for Metacritic, but it needs to be 85+. I read some of the reviews and noticed most of the critics seem to have written their critique's after the first three episodes. I felt like the show really started to pay off in episode 4. That might be part of the issue.

Honestly, I get the distinct feeling we will see that rating rise pretty quickly. Reading the reviews reminded me of going back and reading the first reviews for shows like The Wire, Deadwood, and Rome. They were all shows that we slow to catch on with the public and most reviewers were likewise slow to realize their genius. Those shows made a lot of early reviewers look stupid down the road-- wonder if we will see the same thing here.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I never use Metacritic for movie & TV reviews. I have no idea how they generate a figure to give for publications that only rate on a positive/negative scale. I think it's great for video games, but I stick to IMDB & Rotten Tomatoes for the cinema stuff.

• 1Like

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
They should just rename this "Tom Hardy walks around in a coat and top hat and gives people coins"

It's a really slow burn and I'm hoping that it ends up paying off

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
@Lleauaric, bro this show is about your favorite topic and its not even a thought experiment!

• 1Like