The Astronomy Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just don't ask Neil Armstrong that question if you see him in person 😀
What's he going to do, punch me?

But seriously, I've done the finger test mentioned in that article (albiet with my pinky) several times when encountering a low full moon, and again later when seeing the moon while it's high. Everytime it's conclusive, the moon isn't bigger on the horizon. Yet, my monkey brain says it is. 100% simulation, Roko's basilisk on suicide watch

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
What's he going to do, punch me?

But seriously, I've done the finger test mentioned in that article (albiet with my pinky) several times when encountering a low full moon, and again later when seeing the moon while it's high. Everytime it's conclusive, the moon isn't bigger on the horizon. Yet, my monkey brain says it is. 100% simulation, Roko's basilisk on suicide watch

That jackoff 100% deserved it. I refuse to engage moon landing deniers, they are trolling or complete idiots and neither option is good.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Hey Nasa, how you doing?

Jesus Christ!

Why hasn't NASA put guys back on the moon in 50 years? They can't. I was never, ever a believer in Capricorn One. But God damned, I look at NASA today and think "how the fuck did these losers put guys on the moon and bring them back 50 years ago?"

• 1Clown World
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Why hasn't NASA put guys back on the moon in 50 years? They can't. I was never, ever a believer in Capricorn One. But God damned, I look at NASA today and think "how the fuck did these losers put guys on the moon and bring them back 50 years ago?"
NASA became a pure jobs program post Apollo. Accomplishing anything other than employing people in key districts/states was like winning the lottery.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Boeing fiascoliner coming down unmanned. Next SpaceX manned capsule going up with 2 (down from 4) with suits for them to come down in 2025. Big ol' egg in Boeings face.

In the realm of wtf, how do competing companies that are working with NASA NOT have compatible systems? I mean that sounds like a no-brainer right?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
In the realm of wtf, how do competing companies that are working with NASA NOT have compatible systems? I mean that sounds like a no-brainer right?

tldr; money

"This basically has to do with the nature of Commercial Crew and NASA’s evaluation of risk and redundancy.

For every era of spaceflight before this current one, NASA used a different model of procuring spaceships. They laid out their exact needs, identified the contractor, and managed every stage of the spacecraft, from design to development to construction to the flights to the refits. They were deeply involved in every single thing.

They decided to try a different approach with Commercial Crew. Because it was going somewhere we were relatively comfortable with at that point — the ISS — NASA decided to basically partially fund the development of these spacecraft, but allow private companies to design and innovate, as long as the companies met NASA’s broad requirements and safety standards, as well as reach specific milestones (one of which is a successful crewed flight test.)

This also meant that NASA isn’t bearing the brunt of the cost — they paid a set fee for the development, test flight, and subsequent operational flights, and if the contractor went over budget, that was their problem not NASA’s. (Compare this to the ballooning costs of SLS, which is the Artemis rocket which will end up costing NASA an estimated $4.1 billion per launch)."

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I didn't catch it all but the Boeing iss capsule is coming back unmanned
It sure is...

Crashing Down Crash Landing GIF by Assassin's Creed

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
tldr; money

"This basically has to do with the nature of Commercial Crew and NASA’s evaluation of risk and redundancy.

For every era of spaceflight before this current one, NASA used a different model of procuring spaceships. They laid out their exact needs, identified the contractor, and managed every stage of the spacecraft, from design to development to construction to the flights to the refits. They were deeply involved in every single thing.

They decided to try a different approach with Commercial Crew. Because it was going somewhere we were relatively comfortable with at that point — the ISS — NASA decided to basically partially fund the development of these spacecraft, but allow private companies to design and innovate, as long as the companies met NASA’s broad requirements and safety standards, as well as reach specific milestones (one of which is a successful crewed flight test.)

This also meant that NASA isn’t bearing the brunt of the cost — they paid a set fee for the development, test flight, and subsequent operational flights, and if the contractor went over budget, that was their problem not NASA’s. (Compare this to the ballooning costs of SLS, which is the Artemis rocket which will end up costing NASA an estimated $4.1 billion per launch)."

Wouldn't compatibility fall under 'broad requirement'? I'll answer my own question, apparently not. Wonder if the administrator of the directive had blue hair?

Captain Suave

Wouldn't compatibility fall under 'broad requirement'? I'll answer my own question, apparently not. Wonder if the administrator of the directive had blue hair?

I can kind of understand assuming that a company like Boeing wouldn't be so fucking incompetent that they couldn't bring back their crew.

• 1Truth!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Imagine what it would feel like to go on a test flight that was supposed to last a week and instead being stuck on the ISS for 8 months.

• 1Solidarity

Captain Suave

I said this in another thread but why not just send up the space x suits in the space x craft….
That's what they're doing. Suits are going up with the SpaceX Crew 9 mission. The issue is that the ISS docking ports are limited. Crew 9 and Crew 8 can't both attach at the same time (required to transfer suits) unless Starliner is detached, and if Starliner is detached without crew then there aren't enough seats on Crew 8 to get everyone home. They could technically return on Crew 8 without suits or seats, but that's been deemed too dangerous.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Burns

I said this in another thread but why not just send up the space x suits in the space x craft….
Even though I don't see them specifficly say that in the offical NASA release today, I would assume that's what they are now going to do. It's also possible that one of the reason it will take so long is because each suit is probably custom made for the person (or they just don't want to pay Elon's emergency falcon rescue rocket fee).

Here is a non-paywall story of what's getting reported today, dunno if anything is different than the Fox one above:

2024-08-24 17.47.41 www.scientificamerican.com ac805102e961.png

2024-08-24 17.48.19 www.scientificamerican.com 00bd8c51afa9.png

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Crew 9 and Crew 8 can't both attach at the same time (required to transfer suits) unless Starliner is detached, and if Starliner is detached without crew then there aren't enough seats on Crew 8 to get everyone home.
Starliner will be detached and sent back down as soon as the firmware for remote control is set up, in September:

he NASA astronauts who flew to the ISS on Starliner’s Crew Flight Test (CFT) mission in June, will remain on the station until next February, with Starliner returning to Earth in early September uncrewed.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I wonder if the astronauts were polled and asked if they would rather take the Starliner back down or stay in space another 6 months and wait for SpaceX.