The Best and Worst States in the Union: Many Metrics

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Also PA public school student total is 1.75mil versus private school student body of 281k.

NJ has 1.37M public school students and 221k provate school students, so proportionally more private school students than public school ones compared to PA

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Columbia, from 1986 until 2002. I'd say it's probably one of the nicest places in the state (it's certainly the most prosperous).

Seriously, I can't think of anything the state offers that makes it stand above any of the other states I've lived in.

It's crowded, the outdoors suck there, the people are assholes (side note: anytime I used to watch something like House Hunters that took place in MD/DC/NoVA, you could tell the smugness of the person and figure out that's the area they were in before the show told you), and the weather is shit (humid as balls summers, fucking terrible winters).

You're judging the whole state based on the crowded central area around DC (PG, lower Howard, Montgomery counties). That's like if I condemned New York state because I happened to live in the shitty, congested, asshole area of NYC. None of what you said applies to the vast majority of the state. Carrol County and furtherup into the panhandle has some of the nicest people you'll ever meet (as long as you're white), and the Eastern Shore/North Chesapeake Bay area is basically small town America.

*Edit* And I grew up in the same area as you. I spent my teen years working at Merriweather. I still appreciate the state as a whole, though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

McCheese

And lets be honest here. You only need two words to express why MD is the supreme state in the union:

Old Bay

684c9c63a435961fc4b08363765c12f3.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
You're judging the whole state based on the crowded central area around DC (PG, lower Howard, Montgomery counties). That's like if I condemned New York state because I happened to live in the shitty, congested, asshole area of NYC. None of what you said applies to the vast majority of the state. Carrol County and furtherup into the panhandle has some of the nicest people you'll ever meet (as long as you're white), and the Eastern Shore/North Chesapeake Bay area is basically small town America.

*Edit* And I grew up in the same area as you. I spent my teen years working at Merriweather. I still appreciate the state as a whole, though.
I'm saying, on the whole, Maryland is the bottom of my list of places I've lived.

People say California sucks, because they only consider LA and SF. The rest of the state is fucking amazing.

People say Kentucky is just filled with rednecks and hillbillies, but the cities aren't even remotely close to that. And I'd argue that the nature in Kentucky or Tennessee blows away anything Maryland has to offer.

I appreciate that you think Maryland is a nice state (otherwise I doubt you'd live there). I probably held the same view until I moved around the country. To me, Maryland is mostly shit. Is it New Jersey bad? No, but I can't ever agree with Swagdaddy that it's the best state in the country. It wouldn't even crack my top 10.

Edit: Also, holy shit, how old are you McCheese? If I grew up with you, I'm going to have to delete this account ASAP.

McCheese

32. You were probably one of the jocks that made fun of my hot pocket man boobs in high school.

• 2Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yes you said it's a dumb metric since PA has so many private schools bear you because of religious diversity. NJ has just as many private schools when normalized for state population, even though you said NJ has much fewer because of well funded public schools.

Also how does the Philidelphia metropolitan region include a large swathe of NJ?

Can you not follow logic?

Also PA public school student total is 1.75mil versus private school student body of 281k.

NJ has 1.37M public school students and 221k provate school students, so proportionally more private school students than public school ones compared to PA

I said Philadelphia area has so many private schools, and the ones in the rich part of NJ probably aren't as good.

Extrapolating that into metrics that are going to extend to Pittsburgh, Pennsyltucky hicks, Amish country? And on the NJ side that are grabbing the huge Italian Catholic regions and the massive Jewish centres and the giant basically suburb of NYC part? Come on man.

This is dumb. I give up. You can win.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
32. You were probably one of the jocks that made fun of my hot pocket man boobs in high school.
Ha. I'm 33. Did you actually live in Howard County?

I went to 3 different high schools, and generally was pretty introverted (Wilde Lake 00-02, Atholton 99-00, River Hill 98-99). Didn't play any sports.

And Alex, I wasn't saying SF sucks. Just that people think all of CA is those two cities. And if they hate those, they say the entire state is awful.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I went to a WV private school and now I'm the highest vote getting member of the administration of this fine establishment while ZyyzYzzy ZyyzYzzy is losing out to affirmative black action hire @OhSeven.

Checkmate EaWeVa faggots.

• 2Like

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
But I love San Diego and just consider the high cost of living and dealing with the retard liberals a beach tax.

The San Diego area itself is actually pretty middle of the road compared to the other major cities in the State thanks to the very large presence the Military has in the city.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

McCheese

Ha. I'm 33. Did you actually live in Howard County?

I went to 3 different high schools, and generally was pretty introverted (Wilde Lake 00-02, Atholton 99-00, River Hill 98-99). Didn't play any sports.

And Alex, I wasn't saying SF sucks. Just that people think all of CA is those two cities. And if they hate those, they say the entire state is awful.

Sadly, no. I lived right across the line in shitty P.G County. I always wanted to be one of the fancy Hoco kids, though.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I have at least visited every state west of the Mississippi, and all of the SE. Visited Hawaii but never Alaska. So basically everywhere except the whole original 13 colonies type areas. There are plenty of places that are decent and I'd be fine living in, but California would be the undisputed best if it weren't for the massive shithole that is their politics (including things like auto regulations, building codes, etc.) the past few decades.

Anywhere that you have humidity is automatically inferior in terms of weather. San Diego is literally the best weather I can ever imagine, anywhere, anytime. The rest of the state can fluctuate a ton, like where I live in Sacramento we get as low as maybe 25 in winter (no snow though) and as high as 115 in summer. Still better than almost anywhere else. And I can go 2 hours west and get to the beach, and 2 hours east and go skiing.

I actually hate San Francisco in terms of if I had to live there, and I have no desire to sightsee and tour anymore, but to someone into that sort of city it is awesome. Los Angeles is a shithole unless you're in one of the suburbs, but you can't deny the importance it has in so many different industries.

We grow practically everything you can fucking grow, and probably more of it than anywhere else. Many people consider the wines, cheeses, nuts, avocados, countless other things, among the best in the nation.

Our drawbacks are the shitty politicians and all that comes with that (not even saying just the liberal side of things, I mean all the people only in it for their own benefit or special interest groups), way too many illegal immigrants, shitty education policies, and shitty water management. Remedy the politician part of that equation so that they fix shit like immigration, sanctuary states, excessive regulations, water, education, etc. and I would say that California blows everyone else away, not even close.

Oh, and the cost of living in any major metropolitan area is probably a lot higher than the national average. Sacramento is even getting fucking outrageous, and it is nothing like SF, LA, SD.

But since we've got all those problems, it is getting harder and harder to justify staying here, unfortunately. The cost more than anything really is really fucking hurting, but the SJW shit is getting really out of hand too. I'm afraid if something doesn't change soon we're going to be the worst state in the union.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
This thread reeks of white privilege. Lots of checking needs to be done here.

• 2Like

iannis

Musty Nester
NC is terrible.

Stay in New England.

Never come here.

The racoons and opossums are usually rabid. And they outnumber us.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
So, it looks like WV and Maryland are tied for shittiest states. California seems to get the top vote if you avoid most of the populace. I haven't heard any awesome Texas stories? ,I personally like NC but it is based on never seeing about half of the states. Mainly the eastern half but haven't been east past NY or to Minnesota. Seen Texas and Ok.

Edit- So, Iannis says I need to get past NY or go west, lol. Heard and understood.