The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
The Xbone's downfall is more complicated than that. MS didn't just do one thing wrong, they did EVERYTHING wrong,

Sony is currently fucking up with hardware

- Fallout 4 and Skyrim mods: Sony won't allow them.
- Reportedly Sony and third parties might charge for HDR/4k patches to games.
- Increase in PS Plus Price
- No 4k Drive in Pro (Know why though? They are launching a new 4k video streaming service and they do not want to support the disc based so they drive everyone to their own store)

Sony is about to shit the bed they made.

Hell, The Xbox One S now has a 4k UHD Drive. For $299.

Give it time for that list to expand rapidly.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I guess we'll see. I'm still of the opinion that all Sony has to do is say "Bloodborne 2" or "The Last of Us 2" and all that stuff is instantly forgotten.

Hell, all they'd have to say is "DTS" (passthrough for Plex/DLNA streams) and I'd forget all of it.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Are you under the impression Scorpio won't come out at $499? I'm not. It's also not coming out for more than a fucking year. Why would I want to buy a fucking weak ass Xbox one-s when I know they're going to more than quadruple the power next year?

Vorph is 100% right, it's all about the exclusives and Sony crushes Microsoft on these. Then you factor in they're going to release the exclusives on PC and you wonder who the Scorpio is for. You think Microsoft is going to allow MP games to run at different frame rates and shit vs the One?

Yeah, the Pro seems like a misstep in marketing and design, but I'm still getting one so I can play shit with better frame rates at the bare minimum. Slowdowns in 3rd party multiplat games? I'd guess those disappear.

What we need is a good trade in program.

I'd be down to invest in a Scorpio, probably like a year after it's out during 2018 black Friday when I can buy the bitch cheap.

Szlia

- Reportedly Sony and third parties might charge for HDR/4k patches to games.
- No 4k Drive in Pro (Know why though? They are launching a new 4k video streaming service and they do not want to support the disc based so they drive everyone to their own store)

I fail to see what's scandalous about selling a dlc that requires additional work.

About the drive, I found that dumb at first, but in this day and age how is the dl/stream market vs the physical media market for movies? Maybe their due dilligence in marketing showed early adopters don't care that much about physical media and that late adopters will do so in a market dominated by dl/stream, so the price of a 4k drive vs its impact on the retail price + appeal to the consummers was not worth it.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
From what I've seen there aren't even that many 4k disks out there yet and they're expensive. I still think its a retarded decision but as I have no plans of getting a 4k tv for at least a year or two I don't give a fuck.

spronk

FPS noob
a UHD reader would have cost Sony $15 extra for the PS 4 Pro so yeah it definitely sucks they skimped on it for that $15. On the other hand its hard to really get mad, I've bought like 4 blu rays in the past 5 years and I will not buy any 4k UHD blu rays, ever. DVD sales have been going down every year for years now, in 2015 a total of 105m DVDs (old school) got sold, 15m blu rays, and pretty much near 0 UHDs. The numbers are likely to be lower this year, and even lower next year.

Don't forget the PS4Pro has a new wifi chip that does the newer 802.11ac, so you can get even faster wifi which is nice for those that don't have it jacked into the router

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Yeah, take the money you would have spent on Blu Ray discs and invest in storage / plex. A typical 4k movie is hovering around 35Gb. I have a shitload of movies I'm ripping and offloading and just storing digitally. The collector in me is bummed out but buying discs just doesn't make sense anymore.

Vorph

Ironically, the Xbone is in the same position as the PS3 was about a decade ago. Buying just a UHD Blu-ray player will set you back a little over $300 today, so someone in the market for one might as well just get the Xbone S instead.

Yeah, take the money you would have spent on Blu Ray discs and invest in storage / plex. A typical 4k movie is hovering around 35Gb. I have a shitload of movies I'm ripping and offloading and just storing digitally. The collector in me is bummed out but buying discs just doesn't make sense anymore.
Storage, Plex, and a proper HTPC or other box (R-Pi, rooted Fire TV, etc. with XBMC is the simplest option). Otherwise all that effort is wasted as your lossless DTS-MA gets turned into 640kbps AC3 garbage.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Do people still buy movies on discs? Blu rays are like fucking $30 a pop.

I do since I usually want movie in french(for child) and English(me and wife) they also come with dvd, blue ray and digital bundled together. Itune used to have both language for 1 purchase but now they are separated on most case.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I fail to see what's scandalous about selling a dlc that requires additional work.

About the drive, I found that dumb at first, but in this day and age how is the dl/stream market vs the physical media market for movies? Maybe their due dilligence in marketing showed early adopters don't care that much about physical media and that late adopters will do so in a market dominated by dl/stream, so the price of a 4k drive vs its impact on the retail price + appeal to the consummers was not worth it.

Well for starters it isn't much work at all. Internally bump the resolution. Secondly, physical media from a sound perspective always gives the best track. From what I have been told, streams compress the audio so you will never get lossless DTS MA. Correct?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

I need to learn about this.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
A plex server is the easiest thing ever. I never used it personally but I set it up for my wife so I could download TV series for her.

If she could navigate and play her shows anyone can.

Vorph

Well for starters it isn't much work at all. Internally bump the resolution. Secondly, physical media from a sound perspective always gives the best track. From what I have been told, streams compress the audio so you will never get lossless DTS MA. Correct?
It's more complicated than that because the hardware certainly is not capable of simply rendering a 1080p30 PS4 game at 2160p30 on the Pro.

The whole thing seems retarded to me anyway. While I still think it's silly to say that people can't easily tell the difference between 1080p and 4K at normal viewing distances, the fact is for games an upgrade to 1080p60 instead of increased resolution would be a vastly better experience for almost every game on the system and it would be a lot more reasonable expectation of what the hardware can do. Of course that's not as simple as flipping a switch either, especially with Japanese games. Their programmers still think it's a good idea to tie things like AI and physics to the framerate. All that said, I agree that any patches to make games better on the Pro should be free.

As for sound in ripped movies you can put whatever you want into the container. MKV doesn't care whether it's AAC, MP3, AC3, plain old DTS, or lossless DTS-MA 7.1. The problem is getting the audio from the server to your receiver or surround decoder. When Plex streams to PS4 and Xbone, the audio has to be transcoded down to 640kbps AC3 5.1 because neither console paid for a full DTS license this gen. They are only allowed to decode or pass-through DTS audio from Blu-rays and games. This is why you need a real HTPC or some kind of R-Pi box instead. When you stream to XBMC on a box like that your only limitation is the bandwidth of your home network (protip: don't use wireless if you expect to stream Blu-rays ripped with little to no compression).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Yeah, that can't be right. The new headset isn't supposed to be out until November with the PS4 Pro so there's no way they could deliver it in a few days with the Slim even if they really wanted to eat that big a loss.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
1) You like your games in 900p 30fps or slower.

Just kidding, didn't read, Forbes wants me to whitelist their site for adblock, gtfo.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
1) You like your games in 900p 30fps or slower.

Just kidding, didn't read, Forbes wants me to whitelist their site for adblock, gtfo.

Haha yeah
Both the Xbox One S and the PS4 Pro are taking advantage of 4K resolution and HDR (high-dynamic range) technology. But while the PS4 Pro boasts a more powerful processor and graphics chip, the Xbox One S is the only console available with a built-in Ultra-HD Blu-Ray player. This is important.

CenturyLinkVoice
What's Big & Grey And Nags You About Business Outcomes?

forbes-bv-small.png

First, let’s get some definitions out of the way.

Most HD television sets right now boast a 1080p resolution. That’s “HD” and that’s also the resolution that a standard Blu-Ray disc plays at.

But now we have a new generation of TV technology called Ultra-HD. This displays at 4K resolution—essentially four times the pixel count of 1080p. It’s much more high-fidelity, and is mostly noticeable on bigger screens.

Recommended by Forbes

'Super Mario Run' Is Coming Exclusively To Apple iOS [Updated]

The PS4 Pro Is All About Upgrading To An Ultra-HD TV With HDR

Microsoft Just Made A Huge Mistake At E3

The PS4 Pro Has Some Serious Shortcomings

MOST POPULAR

Photos: The Richest Person In Every State

MOST POPULAR

Photos: The Most Expensive Home Listing in Every State 2016

MOST POPULAR

Apple's New iPhone 7: No Headphone Jack, But Awesome Camera

The only way to properly take advantage of this resolution is with Ultra-HD media. Ultra-HD Blu-Ray plays at 4K, basically four times that of regular Blu-Ray. While some websites like Netflix and YouTube and Amazon Prime all have 4K streaming options, streaming is always limited by internet speeds and compression.

This means that to truly take advantage of 4K media, the Xbox One S is your best option this holiday season, since it’s the only gaming system that has an Ultra-HD Blu-Ray player. If you get a PS4 Pro and still want that feature, you’ll also need to buy an Ultra-HD Blu-Ray player, which cost around $300 at the moment.

2. The Xbox One S is cheaper.

With all the above in mind, it’s important that we talk price. The PS4 Pro costs $399, which isn’t a bad price at all considering it’s a very powerful system.

However, the Xbox One S is just $299. That hundred dollars could go toward a new game and a second controller.

Now consider how much it would cost to get a PS4 Pro and an Ultra-HD Blu-Ray player. $300 + $399 = $699. That’s a healthy chunk of change on top of a potential TV upgrade (considering you’ll need an Ultra-HD TV with HDR to take advantage of either of these consoles.)

To be fair, the PS4 Pro is a more powerful console. If price isn’t an issue, then the PS4 Pro has the horsepower advantage. But the Xbox One S is absolutely the budget-friendly winner in this fight.

3. The Xbox One S is bundled with five games.

There are various Xbox One S bundles you can buy this holiday season, but by far the best deal out the gates is the standard Xbox One S that, for $299, is also bundled with Halo 5 and the Halo Master Chief Collection.

That collection includes four games: Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 4.

That’s five Halo games and a brand new console for $299, one of the best bundle deals I’ve seen pretty much ever. Of course, if you already have all those Halo games, one of the other bundles might make more sense.

4. The Xbox One S will have mod support for games like Skyrim Remastered.

One of the exciting things about this generation of consoles, is just how similar the Xbox One and PS4 are to gaming computers. Sure, they’re not as powerful as the beefiest gaming PC, but they were closer, and they were going to offer us new features like mod support.

Leading that charge was publisher and developer Bethesda, the maker of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Fallout 4. These are games that have a ton of support for user-generated content (mods) on PC. Soon, that feature was supposed to roll out on PS4.

Now we’ve learned that Sony is unwilling to let Bethesda support mods the way that company says they need for mods to happen on the PS4. What this means, at least for the time being, is that mods will only be available on PC and Xbox One.

5. Backwards compatibility

If you’re upgrading from a last-gen console, your library of games may be an important determining factor in which new console to buy.

Unfortunately, the PlayStation 4 is not backwards compatible with PlayStation 3 games. Sony does offer a great subscription service—PlayStation Now—that lets you play PS3 and PS2 games on your PS4 (as well as other devices like your PC) and there’s also a number of top-notch remasters available on PlayStation 4. However, you can’t simply pop a PS3 disc into your PS4 and play it.

Not all Xbox 360 games are backwards compatible on Xbox One either, but a large and growing list are. This isn’t an important feature to everybody, but it is nice to be able to trade in your old system, but still keep some of your favorite games.

6. Xbox Live is still better than PSN

I was hoping that in 2016 I could happily report that Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network were both equally safe and secure and free from long stretches of downtime. Sadly, the fact remains that the PSN goes down more often than its Xbox counterpart. We report on PSN outages far more often than Xbox Live outages, and that’s still true in 2016.

And now that Xbox also offers Games with Gold, the free monthly games advantage that came with subscribing to PS+ has evaporated. The only remaining advantage to PlayStation’s network is the fact that you don’t need to pay for a subscription to use each and every online service, such as game demos and betas.

Still, at the end of the day if security and reliability are a concern, Xbox Live is the way to go, adding just one more reason to buy an Xbox One S over a PS4 Pro this holiday season.

Bonus: Xbox One exclusives are now ‘Play Anywhere’

One final benefit to purchasing an Xbox One S over a PS4 Pro? Going forward, Microsoft has adopted a “Play Anywhere” philosophy for its exclusive content. This means that when you buy a game like Gears of War 4, you’ll get a copy for your Xbox and a copy for your PC (so long as you’re running Windows 10.) This means you can play on either your console or your computer. That may not be super important to everyone, but it’s a nice feature. Any time you can get two for the price of one, it can’t hurt.

In Conclusion

Ultimately, there are reasons to buy both these consoles. There are factors that I didn’t touch on in the above six reasons that should guide your purchasing decision. These include the games you want to play.

Each system has its own exclusives, from Uncharted and God of War on PlayStation, to Halo and Gears of War on Xbox. You should absolutely consider which console has the exclusive content you prefer before buying.

Another big factor in determining which console to buy is which one your friends play on. If all your friends are playing on PlayStation 4, buying an Xbox One S might leave you out in the cold (or vice versa.)

And there are reasons to buy a PS4 Pro over an Xbox One S which I’ll touch on later. For now, hopefully these reasons help you at least think more carefully about which console you should buy going into the holidays this year.

Finally, the prices listed here are as of this writing. There will be deals on both systems and certainly on older versions of both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 as we trudge toward Christmas. We’ll try to keep readers appraised of any good deals we come across.

The Xbox One S has already launched. The PS4 Pro comes out November 10th.

P.S.

Oh, and one final note: Microsoft is releasing its own “Pro” console in 2017, codenamed the Xbox One “Scorpio.” This is much more powerful than the Xbox One S, and spec-wise, even more powerful than the PS4 Pro. We don’t know much about it yet, but if you’re a patient consumer, waiting until the Scorpio lands might be a smart move. Whether it truly outperforms the PS4 Pro, and what it’s price-tag will be, remain to be seen.