The Boys

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Finally started watching this tonight, and its pure gold so far.

I wish I could go on the ride again, i'm honestly sitting here trying to remember a show that hooked me so hard.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hughie is the son of Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan. He looks like a perfect mix of both of them, it's actually uncanny.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The ending was great. I rather like Homelander.

How did the invisible guy actually explode? If his skin was invulnerable, I would think his body would still be intact even with his insides being turned into slush.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The show creator actually answered that in an AMA I think. They just wanted bits of him to go everywhere vs. having a stream of exploded crap shooting out of his orifices.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i think this show is a litmus test for your emotional state of being towards women. they show you some extremely vague information about butcher's wife and then give you just enough evidence that supports either side of the argument and then let YOU interpret it based on your own personal bias. either she's a whore or she's a victim. then there's the scant few who are objective enough to be like "why don't we just wait to actually get all the information before we decide"

those scant few need to fucking stop being pussies and pick a side.

• 6Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
My interpretation was more consensual with some regret, then the park bench was fully processing it and the regret being tamped down as she accepted what she did and to disappear in order to raise the kid.

But the result is she has a super baby and left her husband without letting him know why. It’s fucked coming and going.

This is what I got out of it, more regret than shock. 2 scenarios I imagine.

1.) She was in a groupie/awed mind set and was titillated at the idea of fucking a super hero. But then it happens and after its over she realized she might have fucked up a lot of good shit for a momentary urge and felt bewildered about her own inability to control said urge. (IE reality is often disappointing).

2.) As someone else said Homelander essentially pulled the "suck my dick and you'll go far" and was a total sociopath manipulating her--she does "consent", but she feels awful about it after.

I didn't get the full on rape vibe from seeing her though, more like "what did I just do".

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

the way she left his office, with her outfit all messed up, half buttoned, missing a shoe... definitely points to her being in flight or flight mode, which wouldn't have happened if that was her whole reason for going in there. there was obviously some hero worship going on but that doesn't necessarily equate to "i want to have sex with him."

consent in this situation is such a weird thing because the power differential is SO steep in homelander's favor that there's basically no such thing as consent in the first place. she can't NOT give consent because the level of destruction he could bring down is so unfathomable. honestly, it makes for an extremely interesting case study. homelander's sense of morality is so skewed BECAUSE of this. he HAS to know that there's really no such thing as consent. he does what he wants, when he wants. i really wish they kept in that scene of him jerking off all over new york that kripke said amazon told him he had to cut. it's pretty vile but i don't know if there's any other moment as character defining for homelander as that. the ONLY person he feels some sort respect for is stillwell. she was the only person who he thought wasn't afraid of him. which, i think is why he reacted the way he did when she told him that she WAS afraid of him. he realized that she was just like everyone else. and he has the power to kill everyone else at the drop of a hat.

• 2Like

Jozu

Yea I agree with that. Homelander is a very interesting character. He has no morals, conscience or values, but he DOES feel empathy, if only fleeting or whimsical.

He displays this multiple times throughout the show. And the final act was even more evidence of this. Other than gloat to Billy, he had no reason to protect him. Your assessment of him being disappointed with Stillwell being scared of him was spot on, not only that but he literally seems to transfer that lost respect right to Billy, as he sensed he WAS NOT SCARED.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Those who think Beca was coerced, watch the ending scene again, when Becca sees Homelander, that is not the face of a #metoo victim. She is shocked and concerned when she sees Butcher, not when she sees Homelander.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Those who think Beca was coerced, watch the ending scene again, when Becca sees Homelander, that is not the face of a #metoo victim. She is shocked and concerned when she sees Butcher, not when she sees Homelander.

you could be right, but it's easy enough for her to make the connection that homelander works for/with vought, and vought set her new life up so homelander knows about the whole thing. she's surprised to see homelander, but she's mortified to see billy. i really just took that to mean that she was under the impression that homelander knew everything from the start and just couldn't be bothered to show up. she might even have several questions for him about his youth (not knowing that he was "made"). it's ENTIRELY possible that she'd been ASKING for homelander on how to deal with super powers.

billy on the other hand... she fell into the role that her old life was dead and then billy shows up and reminds her that people from her old life still care about her.

you COULD be right about all that, but again, homelander didn't know about any of this so he definitely never showed up. her not showing mortification to homelander doesn't mean much in and of itself.

edit: i know it's weird for a rape victim to want the one who raped her to be around for their child, but we're not talking about a regular situation. we're talking about a child being born that is unlike anything else on the planet, EXCEPT for the father. as a parent, there comes a point where you have to re-adjust your biases if raising that child is beyond your means.

Jozu

It's possible. They red herring'd that line of thought with the dialogue near the end between lander and Butcher. Homelander mocks him for going through all that shit on a hunch. The discord with his wife's family is also a signal IMO that Butcher is in for a rude awakening (even though he was right to not give up on her being alive.)

I also feel like the CCTV of her disheveled was more to show the audience she had indeed got ploughed. If they wanted to signal rape there, I feel like it would have been more heavy handed, she would be crying, or shrink to the floor with a morbid look on her face, holding herself in a protective stance etc.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The complete lack of understanding of how many rape survivors act in this thread is laughable.

Sure, there can be the crying/curl up in a ball/etc, but that comes later I imagine in most cases. More common is the in complete shock/trying to forget what just happened/just survive the encounter reaction.

Also don't forget she is LITERALLY OUTSIDE THE DOOR OF A MAN WITH FUCKING SUPER HEARING AND THE ABILITY TO MURDER HER IN LESS THAN A SECOND. Even if she did want to break down, that is not the place to do it.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Caliane

the way she left his office, with her outfit all messed up, half buttoned, missing a shoe... definitely points to her being in flight or flight mode, which wouldn't have happened if that was her whole reason for going in there. there was obviously some hero worship going on but that doesn't necessarily equate to "i want to have sex with him."

consent in this situation is such a weird thing because the power differential is SO steep in homelander's favor that there's basically no such thing as consent in the first place. she can't NOT give consent because the level of destruction he could bring down is so unfathomable. honestly, it makes for an extremely interesting case study. homelander's sense of morality is so skewed BECAUSE of this. he HAS to know that there's really no such thing as consent. he does what he wants, when he wants. i really wish they kept in that scene of him jerking off all over new york that kripke said amazon told him he had to cut. it's pretty vile but i don't know if there's any other moment as character defining for homelander as that. the ONLY person he feels some sort respect for is stillwell. she was the only person who he thought wasn't afraid of him. which, i think is why he reacted the way he did when she told him that she WAS afraid of him. he realized that she was just like everyone else. and he has the power to kill everyone else at the drop of a hat.
yeah, this seems like a sound take on this version of Homelander. Which is still what I feel odd. Homelander being this in charge, and this willful, is a pretty radical change from the comic. to the point of changing the entire point of the comic.
This changes the TV show from The Boys, to Irredeemable. This isn't Homelander, this is The Plutonian.

• 1Solidarity

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
The denial of woman’s agency, after seeing her in distress, is fucking weird in this thread. Rape victim my ass.

• 1Like

j00t

That's completely fair, though, without having read the comic I don't know how different he is. I guess it just makes sense that he wouldn't be anything BUT the plutonian

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I just find it funny that so many people are SURE that it is one way or the other (although looking back, that seems to be mainly the "She wanted the D, hence she's a cunt" crowd). I feel like they purposely left it ambiguous, both at the end and in the surveillance footage, so that nerds like us can argue about it, or they can decide which way they want to go, or just to fuck with us if they already know which way they want to go. I honestly don't see how you can be so certain it has to be one way or the other. Both explanations seem equally feasible to me, and I think that's on purpose. Otherwise, you take away a lot of the surprise of the next season.

I mean, there's arguments for both sides all over the place. She clearly was in awe of Homelander, so sure she might have wanted the dick. But pretty much EVERY scene that Butcher remembers, it appears that they are completely in love. Sure, it is his memories we're seeing, and they could be completely skewed. But they set up a lot of evidence on both sides of the equation, on purpose probably, so I honestly don't see how you can just rule one side out because you think she walked out of the room like someone that gladly cheated on her husband just to be with a superman. We never saw a single moment from her perspective. Mainly because we were supposed to think she was dead, but still. I won't be surprised if it goes either way, honestly.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
So, she didn't actually care about Butcher, and was just with him because she was waiting for better dick to come along? She didn't really need him for anything since she already worked at Vought.

If she was raped, is that how a rape victim acts? They go sit on a park bench, and never calls their significant other, then disappears to raise the kid?

Oh right, women have no agency and we infantilize them because they're powerless and the patriarchy would destroy them completely with out some white knight protection.

Fuck.

• 1Picard

j00t

regardless of what side of the argument youre on, i think its clear that she wasn't happy when she left his office. her mannerisms reeked of "wtf just happened..."