The D&D thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Orcs have been redesigned as seasonal strawberry pickers who need hawks to hunt for them.

Now they're white too, and doing white people things. Is this cultural appropriation or acceptance, I don't know, but it smells like progress!

Also that artist looks like a total fag. Probably doesn't know how to change the damn tire, or what a level 5 fireball does damage wise.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My daughter is going to be in 7th grade soon. My wife signed her up for a summer camp at the local college so she doesn't spend all day every day glued to her phone. One of her camp activities is D&D. The instructor sets up challenges and breaks the kids into groups of 5-6, then has them take on a challenge in the form of D&D. Check out a room, explore a village... Shit like that. She spent her first 2 "summer camp" classes designing her character, like name, race, job, skills & hobbies. Stuff like that. She's really enjoying it. I've still never played D&D, but at least she's having fun.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
My daughter is going to be in 7th grade soon. My wife signed her up for a summer camp at the local college so she doesn't spend all day every day glued to her phone. One of her camp activities is D&D. The instructor sets up challenges and breaks the kids into groups of 5-6, then has them take on a challenge in the form of D&D. Check out a room, explore a village... Shit like that. She spent her first 2 "summer camp" classes designing her character, like name, race, job, skills & hobbies. Stuff like that. She's really enjoying it. I've still never played D&D, but at least she's having fun.

That would have been fun as a kid in the 90's. Just be careful, in 2024 odds are the person running that wants your daughter's character to be a trans-orc-boy owlbearphiliac.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
1719020024020.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
How the hell is this not a new edition? Been reading various 'previews' of the changes and they are fairly comprehensive.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
How the hell is this not a new edition? Been reading various 'previews' of the changes and they are fairly comprehensive.

Does it change any of the core mechanics? Or is it like a tasha's that just adds options?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Orcs have been redesigned as seasonal strawberry pickers who need hawks to hunt for them.

At first I thought that orcs look suspiciously like lesbians now. Then I realized I had it backwards. Lesbians have always looked suspiciously like orcs.

The orc on the horse is clearly supposed to be mike pape himself.

• 1Worf

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
5.24 is technically backwards compatible, but it's a bit annoying. It's a lot like going from 3.0 to 3.5. The rules are largely the same, but there are pinch points that don't work well with each other.

Largely, I like what they've done with many of the rules in 5.24, but 90% of the art I have seen grates on me. I completely accept that I am sexist and a traditionalist, but I know that I'm not the only one irritated by the fact that women are being chosen to be the iconic representatives for extremely masculine classes like Barbarian, Paladin, etc. Also, the over-representation of minorities (particularly nogettes) is nothing but spineless pandering.

Pape is exactly the type of weak, useless soycreature I'd expect.

I wish it weren't true, but a huge majority of the published 3rd party creators are Leftist clones (by design, I'm sure). Several years ago I had to stop looking up creators whose work I actually enjoyed on DMsGuild because I was disgusted EVERY time. And after seeing behind the curtain I would walk away from buying their product no matter how good it was. However, nowadays I largely solve this by just pirating the work of the little faggot communists.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
5.24 is technically backwards compatible, but it's a bit annoying. It's a lot like going from 3.0 to 3.5. The rules are largely the same, but there are pinch points that don't work well with each other.

Largely, I like what they've done with many of the rules in 5.24, but 90% of the art I have seen grates on me. I completely accept that I am sexist and a traditionalist, but I know that I'm not the only one irritated by the fact that women are being chosen to be the iconic representatives for extremely masculine classes like Barbarian, Paladin, etc. Also, the over-representation of minorities (particularly nogettes) is nothing but spineless pandering.

I wish it weren't true, but a huge majority of the published 3rd party creators are Leftist clones (by design, I'm sure). Several years ago I had to stop looking up creators whose work I actually enjoyed on DMsGuild because I was disgusted EVERY time. And after seeing behind the curtain I would walk away from buying their product no matter how good it was. However, nowadays I largely solve this by just pirating the work of the little faggot communists.
I wonder if the dudes who made RIFTS are still awesome. There wasn't anything woke about that game, but the last time I looked at it was maybe 20 years ago. There's no telling now. I guess if I had to hope for an RPG to not be gay, it's that one.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wonder if the dudes who made RIFTS are still awesome. There wasn't anything woke about that game, but the last time I looked at it was maybe 20 years ago. There's no telling now. I guess if I had to hope for an RPG to not be gay, it's that one.
I really have no idea, but I was never able to get into RIFTS. I've primarily stuck to D&D. Though I also played a bit of Shadowrun, a little Vampire/Werewolf, a smidge of GURPS, and a handful of games with an old Marvel Heroes RPG that I can't even name.

I'm really just a one trick pony when it comes to RPGs. I know a shit ton about each edition of D&D, but beyond basic awareness I can't speak about other systems. Pathfinder is the only exception as it's derivative. Even then, I know jack shit about Golarion lore as my knowledge only covers the system mechanics. The faggoty art direction and hyper-aggressive progressivism of Paizo are more than enough to keep me from ever switching over. The ONLY reason I keep playing D&D is because it's the brand I fell in love with as a boy (before it lost its collective mind) and I have more pre-woke, quality material than I could use in three lifetimes.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I really have no idea, but I was never able to get into RIFTS. I've primarily stuck to D&D. Though I also played a bit of Shadowrun, a little Vampire/Werewolf, a smidge of GURPS, and a handful of games with an old Marvel Heroes RPG that I can't even name.

I'm really just a one trick pony when it comes to RPGs. I know a shit ton about each edition of D&D, but beyond basic awareness I can't speak about other systems. Pathfinder is the only exception as it's derivative. Even then, I know jack shit about Golarion lore as my knowledge only covers the system mechanics. The faggoty art direction and hyper-aggressive progressivism of Paizo are more than enough to keep me from ever switching over. The ONLY reason I keep playing D&D is because it's the brand I fell in love with as a boy (before it lost its collective mind) and I have more pre-woke, quality material than I could use in three lifetimes.
Yeah I guess it wasn't necessarily a super serious question, just kind of joking about what games might not be gay. Apart from DND, RIFTS was my very first tabletop. Guess the only other one I ever played for a good long while was MERP.

Ended up getting the main guide, the vampire kingdoms books, and maybe the first source book with the Archie stuff for my birthday one year when I was maybe 11 or 12, maybe younger, I don't know.

The local comic book store in my buddies and I used to go to carried a bunch of them, and my mom was completely on board with them. Have to use your imagination, math, problem solving / critical thinking, writing, and all kinds of other useful skills like teamwork, tabletop RPGs are one of the best things a kid could probably do.

I think the game just got off the ground around that time, and typically want a new book would come out, I'd either buy it or if I didn't have car Wash money, she typically pick it up for me, or I get more for Christmas and stuff.

It's just a pretty serious game as far as setting goes, and if I had the bank on one particular table top creation not going gay, my money is on RIFTS. I think they were kind of an indie studio too, it's just too bad there's system was a bit clunky, but I do wonder whether or not they ever revised it and streamlined it more.

It's just such a cool concept, and I don't have any of those books anymore, which I kind of kicked myself for, but I have downloaded the PDF some for fun and just read through. I'd love to actually get a campaign up and running, but trying to do it digitally with my buddies, I'm not sure there's actually a platform that would be conducive to that happening. I could be completely wrong though.

• 1Solidarity

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole

Nice thing about DnD and the internet is I never have to give them a cent, and once I have the core rules I can do whatever I want with them, my main homebrew campaign is based loosely off of R. Scott Bakkers books and the evil races are still pure evil with orcs and goblins being murder raping monsters. Just can't really game mich outside close groups with all the new community. Not sure how many outsiders want to quest through the land of Din-Do to overthrow the nuffin kingz

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
It's all billed as backwards compatible with 5e, but there is more changed from 5e to 5.24e than was changed from 3 to 3.5. Most classes have huge changes to their core mechanic in ways that make them simply incompatible with the previous version.

They are doing videos for each class, one a day:

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It's all billed as backwards compatible with 5e, but there is more changed from 5e to 5.24e than was changed from 3 to 3.5. Most classes have huge changes to their core mechanic in ways that make them simply incompatible with the previous version.

They are doing videos for each class, one a day:

4th edition had that strange "essentials" product line that was compatible with the original system while making large changes to many classes. Hey, do you want to play this much weaker version of a core class? No? But you totally could though. Also the books were soft cover? That whole product line never made a lot of sense to me.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Well my group quickly fell apart due to two of the players being a married couple who are having some bizarre marital problems. And two of the other players are the sisters of the wife who won't play without their sister. What a fucking mess the whole thing is.

So I'm restarting Curse of Strahd with two other players not involved in any of that drama. Hopefully it goes well. I figure we can add more players later but definitely not the married couple or the sisters or anyone related to them.
Holy shit man. That sucks. Sorry dude.

• 1Like

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So this past weekend my group got to do some dinosaur races in chult. So two party members ended up killing another party members mount. And I have never seen such a salty sad 40yr old in my life lol

• 2Worf