The D&D thread

Djay

Trakanon Raider
So this past weekend my group got to do some dinosaur races in chult. So two party members ended up killing another party members mount. And I have never seen such a salty sad 40yr old in my life lol
Are you running Tomb of Annihilation? I'm considering running it set in Exandria as a pre-cursor to another DM running the new Vecna book. Then we'll replace one of the realms in that with Exandria. Not sure how we'll make it work, since we're online running through Fantasy Grounds, but the idea is that the main DM will handle most of it, but the guy that ran Curse of Strahd will DM the Barovia stuff and I'll run the chapter we set in Exandria.

I won't get to TOA for awhile, though...we just started Dungeon of the Mad Mage, then the other DM is doing Tyranny of Dragons. So I'm slowly reading through it and trying to figure out how to make all the factions/NPCs work in Exandria. There's an overwhelming amount of homebrew built around the campaign and I need to figure out which pieces I want to use, if any.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So yes and no. I'm using some pieces from it for the paladin arc I'm writing for my friend.

We are on year 12 or 13 of these chars. And he's finally reach lvl 22.

So I used the dinosaur race. And I'm going to be a doing a big jungle navigation thing. Then move into doing a few of the highlights in the jungle. Maybe a thing with being hunted by red wizards. Maybe something with doing with being surprise attacked by dinosaurs in our sleep. Ala that trex scene from the first jurassic park.

Then I'd like to move into letting them traverse the entire city of Ohm. Which I'd like to see if I can make into a double layer dwarven forge dungeon. Like maybe a 2x3 or 2x4.

Oh and then we are also on a time crunch quest. We're being forced to find a a certain somthing for a certain someone evil as well. Which I'll just tuck into the temple someplace maybe.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
So yes and no. I'm using some pieces from it for the paladin arc I'm writing for my friend.

We are on year 12 or 13 of these chars. And he's finally reach lvl 22.

So I used the dinosaur race. And I'm going to be a doing a big jungle navigation thing. Then move into doing a few of the highlights in the jungle. Maybe a thing with being hunted by red wizards. Maybe something with doing with being surprise attacked by dinosaurs in our sleep. Ala that trex scene from the first jurassic park.

Then I'd like to move into letting them traverse the entire city of Ohm. Which I'd like to see if I can make into a double layer dwarven forge dungeon. Like maybe a 2x3 or 2x4.

Oh and then we are also on a time crunch quest. We're being forced to find a a certain somthing for a certain someone evil as well. Which I'll just tuck into the temple someplace maybe.
Did 5th edition ever put out epic levels like 3.5 had for post 20, or did you home brew that?

Grabbit Allworth Grabbit Allworth you probably know, or was it a side dealer aftermarket type thing?

I just don't think officially they ever did anything unless I missed it.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Did 5th edition ever put out epic levels like 3.5 had for post 20, or did you home brew that?

Grabbit Allworth Grabbit Allworth you probably know, or was it a side dealer aftermarket type thing?

I just don't think officially they ever did anything unless I missed it.
Oh I don't play 5e. Were still playing our old 4e characters.

I'm not particularly a fan of 5e. I felt it was a step back for non casters. More like the old 3.5 melee which was very one note to me.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Oh I don't play 5e. Were still playing our old 4e characters.

I'm not particularly a fan of 5e. I felt it was a step back for non casters. More like the old 3.5 melee which was very one note to me.
Ahhhhhh, I never played for e because I heard it tried to make it too much like world of Warcraft MMO type BS.

3.5 is pretty hefty with all of the wombo combo stuff, fifth edition is wonderful though. I'm guessing 4th edition is kind of streamlined in a similar fashion? I just remember in all my 3.5 books there's a section maybe in the main guide or player's handbook about epic levels going from 20 to 30, and I think there may have been the skill progressions and epic skills or spells and stuff you did unlock.

It's been a long time since I looked at it and I don't even know where my books are floating around at. Think they're in a box in the garage somewhere.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Ahhhhhh, I never played for e because I heard it tried to make it too much like world of Warcraft MMO type BS.

3.5 is pretty hefty with all of the wombo combo stuff, fifth edition is wonderful though. I'm guessing 4th edition is kind of streamlined in a similar fashion? I just remember in all my 3.5 books there's a section maybe in the main guide or player's handbook about epic levels going from 20 to 30, and I think there may have been the skill progressions and epic skills or spells and stuff you did unlock.

It's been a long time since I looked at it and I don't even know where my books are floating around at. Think they're in a box in the garage somewhere.
4e also really resonated with my group if friends.

We all played 3.5 for a few years. Then 4e came out. And we all wanted to try it. I've been DMing 4e for bout 14yrs now. I still don't see the "mmo" aspect people speak of.

But I mean right off the bat melee have somthing to actually do besides just roll to hit.

My crew was never the most out of the box thinkers. So if the book didn't say it. They couldn't fathom doing it. But 4e gives you sooooo many options to do all sorts of fun cool stuff that just casters have.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
4e also really resonated with my group if friends.

We all played 3.5 for a few years. Then 4e came out. And we all wanted to try it. I've been DMing 4e for bout 14yrs now. I still don't see the "mmo" aspect people speak of.

But I mean right off the bat melee have somthing to actually do besides just roll to hit.

My crew was never the most out of the box thinkers. So if the book didn't say it. They couldn't fathom doing it. But 4e gives you sooooo many options to do all sorts of fun cool stuff that just casters have.
I got ever read the 4th edition rules but from what I remember somebody saying, when you level up you just get different types of skills kind of like you would unlock and an MMO, or maybe you spend points in a different trees. I guess that's how I always heard it was built.

Hey if it's fun, and you got a group of people to enjoy it with, who cares. Just have a great with your buddies.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
I got ever read the 4th edition rules but from what I remember somebody saying, when you level up you just get different types of skills kind of like you would unlock and an MMO, or maybe you spend points in a different trees. I guess that's how I always heard it was built.

Hey if it's fun, and you got a group of people to enjoy it with, who cares. Just have a great with your buddies.
Oh totally dude. Yeah each level you get new spells or attacks. And you have your choice of 5 to 10 or more per level. So you can really build yourself however you want.

• 1Like