The D&D thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I'm surprised they didn't include tashas and xanathars subclasses and spells in this book. I thought they were all considered official sources.

Just read through bard since that's what I'm playing and I see a fairly major difference in Bardic inspiration. 5e says it lasts 10 minutes and specifically says you have to decide to use the inspiration before you know the result of the roll. 2024e says it lasts an hour and specifically says you can decide to use it after you know whether you passed or failed.

They also changed the second expertise from level 10 to level 9 for some reason. I'm a creation bard and they didn't revamp that, so I didn't go any further.

I gotta say that I like the layout of 2024e better. As a still new player, it's easier to follow and find information. I appreciate that they mentioned feats in the ASI section. The 5e book does not. You have to go to that chapter to find the rulethat you can take a feat instead of ASI.
What did they do to monks?

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
All characters get subclasses at 3rd level
All stat bonuses come from Background rather than species and is in the form of +2 to one stat and +1 to another or +1 to each of three stats
Every character gets a feat at level 1 from the 'Origin Feat' category
All feats include +1 to a stat making it much more likely to take a normal feat at level 4 rather than just +2 stats
Most every class has abilities at different levels than they did before
All weapons now have an associated Weapon Mastery type that is roughly akin to the extra shit you got for each weapon in BG3
Clarification / changes to how Actions, Reactions, Bonus Actions work. Action Surge cannot be used for a Magic action thus eliminating the 'dip into fighter' to cast two spells in a round.
Changes to how Heroic Inspiration works, how Advantage and Surprise work, changes to monsters and how actions work (no more Legendary actions)
Changes to how healing works, how potions work (healing potions are explicitly a bonus action), how short and long rests interact with various class features.

Basically the only things that are entirely the same is that you roll a d20 to do stuff and you have hit points.
how the fuck is this supposed to be backwards compatible with 5e lol? really should've just been called 6e

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
What did they do to monks?
1725055644919.png

I don't know, I've only played a monk in one 1 shot. I think Uncanny metabolism looks new. When you roll initiative you get all your force points back and get to heal 1 roll of your monk die plus your monk level. That's once per long rest, so it sounds pretty OP.

Did patient defense always let you disengage AND dodge as the same bonus action?

Did Step of the wind always allow you to Disengage AND dash with the same bonus action?

Did Stunning strike always have an effect on successful save? Now it halves movement speed and gives the next attack against the creature advantage. But its still a stun if they fail.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
View attachment 543874

I don't know, I've only played a monk in one 1 shot. I think Uncanny metabolism looks new. When you roll initiative you get all your force points back and get to heal 1 roll of your monk die plus your monk level. That's once per long rest, so it sounds pretty OP.

Did patient defense always let you disengage AND dodge as the same bonus action?

Did Step of the wind always allow you to Disengage AND dash with the same bonus action?

Did Stunning strike always have an effect on successful save? Now it halves movement speed and gives the next attack against the creature advantage. But its still a stun if they fail.
I don't know it's been a while since I played. I think step of the wind allowed you to move freely.

I also thought stunning strike just stun them for two rounds or whatever.

The metabolism deal sounds pretty nuts though.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
If it tracks with the Forgotten Realms lore there is a hidden enclave of "good" drow in the far north. Menzobarrenzan is still definitely evil.
That is very true. And there are like 3 other main drow cities and many a smaller town of evil guys. I was just kinda being like "ugghh"

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
  • 1Solidarity

Goonsquad Officer
Yeah I see a lot of people using it to make stuff. Soup to nuts it does everything. I feel like an old man saying this. But I'd rather sit my pen and a pad and use my brain to think up fun stuff.
We have a pathfinder dm using ai to stat items and monsters. Guess how that goes? Yoi get items that are 2 out of 10, or 16 out of 10. Monsters yoi can kill all day, or murder a person a round.

• 1Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
We have a pathfinder dm using ai to stat items and monsters. Guess how that goes? Yoi get items that are 2 out of 10, or 16 out of 10. Monsters yoi can kill all day, or murder a person a round.

Item/Monster stats are literally the last thing I'd ever want AI help with, wtf

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Oof. Yeah I can see that. Stats are so.thing that I change on the fly for every monster. Depending on how many people showed up, how fun thr encounter is, the mood of the group, and if it's engaging or not

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
From what I can tell there's exactly one place in the PHB that refers to the 5th edition. I bet dollars to donuts that by the second printing of this bitch in 2025 when all the manuals are fully released they just call it 6e

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
From what I can tell there's exactly one place in the PHB that refers to the 5th edition. I bet dollars to donuts that by the second printing of this bitch in 2025 when all the manuals are fully released they just call it 6e
At least call it 5.5 like they did with 3.5. With the amount of huge drastic changes this has. Yeah it really needed it I think.

But they at the same time likely don't want to make 5e "obsolete" which would hurt its sales?

• 1Like