The D&D thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
The 80s/90s art of Parkinson, Caldwell, Elmore, Easley, Horne, and Brom will never be rivaled.
I think I've got a couple of coffee table art books Brom's work. I know he used to do a lot of the Dark Sun stuff back in the day. He's honestly one of my favorite fantasy artists aside from Frank Frazetta. The guy is just a master.

If I remember I think he just works in oils.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cool, no rush, I'm sure if it's as bad as you're saying it's not like I'm chomping at the bit to see it, I just know I'm not going to buy any of the new stuff, but again I'm curious just how bad it really is.
In a vacuum there are only a couple of pieces that make you go "wtf," but with all the social/political context it's eyeroll after eyeroll.

The book also, very obviously, excludes white males. I think in the entire book there are 3. Maybe four, but two of that four are in a piece featuring Raistlin and Caramon Majere (famous Dragonlance characters).

• 1Rustled

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
In a vacuum there are only a couple of pieces that make you go "wtf," but with all the social/political context it's eyeroll after eyeroll.

The book also, very obviously, excludes white males. I think in the entire book there are 3. Maybe four, but two of that four are in a piece featuring Raistlin and Caramon Majere (famous Dragonlance characters).
Hah, Raistlin and Tannis Half Elven, Lord South. I remember a lot of the famous characters. My best friend in high school had probably a couple hundred of the DnD novels. We both moved to Texas and 8th grade became friends, I guess that's who I started playing d&d with originally. I used to borrow a lot of those books.

Hell, his dad who works for us now used to read them all back then, and all the other fantasy novels the two of us bought.

Who was the famous cleric in forgotten realms, Caderly? Icewind Dale trilogy, Artemis Entrari, all that shit.

Point being as I understand why you like it so much and collect the books, but also why it's a bummer it's gone woke. Such good memories, everything from our childhood has to be ruined, such is the way of the world now.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider

Omg. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this.

Wizards had an Instagram post where they asked people to guess who the surprise guests were. I said "you guys better have ed greenwood" they deleted my post.

Last edited:

Goonsquad Officer
It really does suck to watch all the things you have a passion for be systematically dismantled and turned into Frankensteinian monstrosities, flaunting their derision for the original base.
but it makes it very, very easy to stop spending money on these things. in a time when inflation has wildly blown up the cost of doing things folks were used to doing when they didn't have much money.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
but it makes it very, very easy to stop spending money on these things. in a time when inflation has wildly blown up the cost of doing things folks were used to doing when they didn't have much money.

For sure, it's a nice side effect. I'd change the situation with a snap if I could though.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
It's low quality art, but if you're offended by it there's something else going on in your life. Looks like a bunch of home made magic cards to me. My working theory is that anyone with real talent has found other work because of AI.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
What I garnered from interviews. In regards to art work. They are doing it all freelance. So when you have 75 artists doing art for 200 monsters. The styles just do not jive. It's messy looking imo.

Like all the other editions before 5th had their own specific style, with their own lead artist heading a team. Those days are gone. And it sorely shows.