The D&D thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
How do you guys handle sheathing/drawing weapons? It hadn't come up until today's session when the ranger tried to sheathe his bow, draw two melee weapons, and then attack with both. I told him he couldn't do all that on the same turn and he looked confused. He's played other campaigns so I guess maybe those DMs have allowed this.

Are you guys strict with the object interaction thing? Sheathing or drawing once is okay but doing it again is an action?
Isn't it a quick action or something, basically it takes up your reaction slot, but you can still attack?

Sorry it's been a while since I played in a campaign

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Ill always look at a round as:
1 move action
1 combat action
1 minor action
1-3 free actions

But then i also let my players sac a move action for a combat action, or vise versa. Or you want to use 10 free actions? Well then thats all your going to be doing. Or sac a combat or move for a few minors.
Do the core rules allow you to take 2 bonus actions instead of an action and a bonus action? There have been times on my bard where I would rather have done 2 bonus actions.

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Isn't it a quick action or something, basically it takes up your reaction slot, but you can still attack?

Sorry it's been a while since I played in a campaign
No, not the Reaction slot.

RAW a player can do one object interaction on their turn. If they want to do a second object interaction it uses their Action.

Putting away a weapon (happy Palum Palum ?) or pulling out a weapon are object interactions. If a player wanted to do both on their turn, they would use their object interaction to put away whatever weapon they're currently holding, then use their Action to pull out a different weapon. Therefore they wouldn't be able to use their Action to attack on that same turn.

That's how I understood the rules. Palum Palum mentioned a way around this is for the player to just open their hand and drop their currently held weapon on the ground (this does not use their object interaction), then use their object interaction to pull out a different weapon, then use their Action to attack, all on the same turn. The cost is that their weapon is now on the ground and can get kicked around, picked up.by an enemy, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
No, not the Reaction slot.

RAW a player can do one object interaction on their turn. If they want to do a second object interaction it uses their Action.

Putting away a weapon (happy Palum Palum ?) or pulling out a weapon are object interactions. If a player wanted to do both on their turn, they would use their object interaction to put away whatever weapon they're currently holding, then use their Action to pull out a different weapon. Therefore they wouldn't be able to use their Action to attack on that same turn.

That's how I understood the rules. Palum Palum mentioned a way around this is for the player to just open their hand and drop their currently held weapon on the ground (this does not use their object interaction), then use their object interaction to pull out a different weapon, then use their Action to attack, all on the same turn. The cost is that their weapon is now on the ground and can get kicked around, picked up.by an enemy, etc.
Somebody else posted I guess it's a quick action. I just couldn't remember like I said it's been a long time since I've actually played a campaign.

Maybe our house rules were drawing a weapon was something that consumed your reaction slot. To us I think that just made more sense, but you were still subject to initiative, but if you had any skill or ability that allowed you to do something during a reactionary thing, you sacrificed it drawing said weapon.

Neno

Lord Nagafen Raider
How do you guys handle sheathing/drawing weapons? It hadn't come up until today's session when the ranger tried to sheathe his bow, draw two melee weapons, and then attack with both. I told him he couldn't do all that on the same turn and he looked confused. He's played other campaigns so I guess maybe those DMs have allowed this.

Are you guys strict with the object interaction thing? Sheathing or drawing once is okay but doing it again is an action?

For like the last 20 years I have let my players drop whatever they are holding to the ground to unsheathe and attack. This opens them up to having their stuff stolen, damaged, left behind in a retreat, etc.

So in your example I'd let the Ranger drop his bow and make his attacks. If his bow is expensive looking then maybe something would try to make off with it, or creature with flying might swoop in. Or the reverse where he drops his swords to take out his bow and shoot the dragon or harpy but now he has to be careful not to be swarmed on the ground. Obviously not every time he drops it of course but he gets to do his thing and you get an another way to manipulate or introduce encounter changes when you want.

I wouldn't let them ever put their weapons away, draw new weapons, and then attack in a single round unless they had feats, special abilities, haste, or whatever that allowed them to do that. Unless the game system I was using allowed for it.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Do the core rules allow you to take 2 bonus actions instead of an action and a bonus action? There have been times on my bard where I would rather have done 2

Do the core rules allow you to take 2 bonus actions instead of an action and a bonus action? There have been times on my bard where I would rather have done 2 bonus actions.
I'm guessing that's a 5e thing? In that case I dunno tbh. Though I personally don't see a problem swapping 1 for 1 with actions.