The Elder Scrolls Online

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Making an original world means a lot more original stuff. You have to layout every castle, village, dungeon, and tree instead of copying a blueprint. Also more voice actors, lore, etc. They probably also chose it because it's a smaller project than making an original world(but still massive), and they love Morrowind and want people who haven't experienced it to do so, just with more modern graphics (I'm going to admit that I tried to play Morrowind saying "the graphics don't matter"...but it mattered and I couldn't stick it out more than a few hours.)
Thanks for that link. I went to the site but could not figure out if the Skywind project uses *all* the mechanics of Skyrim, including Magic, Spells, skill progression, skill choice and such? It sais it uses the Skyrim UI so the answer is probably yes. Basically it is the Morrowind landscape + mobs recreated in what is furthermore a pure Skyrim game?

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I never understood the desire to port old games to new engines. The amount of work you'd have to spend creating a version someone would rather play than the original would be better spent doing something like Nehrim.
I would love to see some of my old classics in new engines. Startopia and Dungeon Keeper just to name two.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I never understood the desire to port old games to new engines.
There's a dozen people in the Pantheon thread that would like a word with you, sir.

Edit: Well, were formerly in the Pantheon thread that have now spread out due to the constant nega-bombs being dropped on everything Brad.

tkon

Trakanon Raider
There is also an explosion of successful kickstarter campaigns which want to bring back old game genres, which are now for the most part dead, back to life.
I've noticed this also.

I'm all for it too, but the time sink that these games were is quite daunting to current me.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Is ESO any good or not? Last I heard some of the media had access to the more optimized client and a larger part of the game while the beta guys are still sitting in ESBrOken.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Here is the way I saw it playing the last beta...

Positives
Game looks good
Game runs like a champ on ok systems
Combat feels ok and is different
minimal UI, youre playing the game not a UI
Crafting is decent
OK skill system
a few public quest things go on, but I only saw it, not played it.

Negs
Quest based leveling, lots of fetch type hit 'e" quests and some multi staged quest too
Only 4 peeps in a group
Does not have that open world explore thing that TES always had
Lots of running around and a big ass world (They do have some fast travel points though and mounts)

But this is only what I saw from playing the game for like 20 or so hours over the weekend. Supposedly there is a huge PvP thing going like GW2 www but I never got to check it out. also the beta was only up to lv17 so who the fuck knows what happens next. Is there compelling group content? Is the shit finished? Is end game going to be focused on PvP only?

But Im buying it. Im a whore for the beginnings of a new mmo. It will probably get me a few months of play.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Here is the way I saw it playing the last beta...

Positives
Game looks good
Game runs like a champ on ok systems
Combat feels ok and is different
minimal UI, youre playing the game not a UI
Crafting is decent
OK skill system
a few public quest things go on, but I only saw it, not played it.

Negs
Quest based leveling, lots of fetch type hit 'e" quests and some multi staged quest too
Only 4 peeps in a group
Does not have that open world explore thing that TES always had
Lots of running around and a big ass world (They do have some fast travel points though and mounts)

But this is only what I saw from playing the game for like 20 or so hours over the weekend. Supposedly there is a huge PvP thing going like GW2 www but I never got to check it out. also the beta was only up to lv17 so who the fuck knows what happens next. Is there compelling group content? Is the shit finished? Is end game going to be focused on PvP only?

But Im buying it. Im a whore for the beginnings of a new mmo. It will probably get me a few months of play.
You said something that is a killer for me as well.... I'm a sucker for the beginning of a MMO as well. I love the first day rushes.

Where's Flex when I need him? I want to know about PvP. I'm a PvP guy and honestly I have put very little time into the game as I was focused on others.

It's hard to find time for a MMO... Time was the primary reason I let FFXIV go.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
All the good PVP information is under NDA. I can say that people who have spent a lot of time in it like it. In many ways it's better than GW2's wvw (which it almost directly copies), especially in that there's no displayed person cap like there was in GW2.

The specifics of how the shard-changing will work aren't set yet and personally will really determine how tangible the PVP is in TESO for me.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
For whatever reasons, I just didn't like GW2 or the www. I'm not sure if it was primarily the combat, classes, or just overall feelings about the game but I don't think I lasted more than a month playing without feeling disappointed.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Do you think a game that is called a Massively Multiplayer Game should be mainly played solo? Not that you can make one playable solo (although in my opinion, it's basically calling poker a game of spider solitaire), but one that is played mainly solo?
I think that soloing should be a viable option in an MMO. However, I also believe that grouping should be the morelucrativeof the two options. If players deem that the risk vs. reward of grouping isn't worth it and choose to mostly solo, so be it. It has no effect on the way I choose to play a game.

None of this answers my question: Given that questing and solo stuff is much better in single player games, why do we need a bad-to-average single player game in the middle of a Massively Multiplayer one?
Is it better? In some cases, it absolutely is. However, I've played many single-player games with storylines and quests that are just as boring and thoughtless as some of your average quests in an MMO.

And why should I be forced to play one because the incentives laid by the game designers are stacked against group play which I would like to do?
You aren'tforcedto play that way. You're free to grind mobs, you're free to form up groups and tackle dungeons. You're simply falling in line with the status quo, then complaining that there are no alternative playstyles, when there clearly are.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
you're free to form up groups and tackle dungeons.
No, I'm not free. Because forming a group require that there are enough people willing to tackle the dungeon with me, which, if your game has incentives working against that very playstyle, isn't going to happen very often, unless you explode the population massively (using the LFG system. Which, unlike some neckbeards here, I think is mostly a good thing; most of the LFG groups problems come from things other than the LFG tool itself).

So in the end, I'd rather have my MMOs be group oriented, from hour 1, with solo as the fallback option of last resort. Alas, every designer wants me to tackle those meh solo RPGs before I can have enough people willing to group.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think that soloing should be a viable option in an MMO. However, I also believe that grouping should be the morelucrativeof the two options. If players deem that the risk vs. reward of grouping isn't worth it and choose to mostly solo, so be it. It has no effect on the way I choose to play a game.
I agree with this, but the question is how lucrative that should be. IMO I think it needs to be 2-3x more lucrative to be in a good group for people to go through the hassle of grouping.

The other part of the problem is that if you have a bunch of content that players can reasonably solo, but make it more lucrative to group by giving grouping bonuses, then grouping becomes one huge mob-stomp. You could offset that by separating the playerbase into soloable content and grouping content (that have hard mobs with good loot/xp) but then you're adding instancing (for better or worse).

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
All the good PVP information is under NDA. I can say that people who have spent a lot of time in it like it. In many ways it's better than GW2's wvw (which it almost directly copies), especially in that there's no displayed person cap like there was in GW2.

The specifics of how the shard-changing will work aren't set yet and personally will really determine how tangible the PVP is in TESO for me.
When you mention "shard-changing" are you referring to the multiple AvA campaigns?

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Damn NDA.

GW2s WvW with real objectives and a real class based system is a huge win. The siege videos look good to me, too. Zenimax should buy the guys who made Medieval: Warfare and steal a lot of that system, IMHO.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
When you mention "shard-changing" are you referring to the multiple AvA campaigns?
Yup. People being able to easily switch campaigns/shards/servers/whatever is a death sentence to world PVP. From my perspective this was one of the biggest issues with GW2's WvW. A lot of us on this forum remember choosing Henge of Denravi in GW2 because it was the third least popular server and once we brought it to the top we start getting a lot of bandwagoners joining it because it was a guaranteed victory every day/3days/week. Worse yet, after we crushed opponent servers people fled from them either to HoD or to a much lower server. This resulted in very awkward server imbalances and stifled competition.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah the server hopping on GW2 really did not help their WvW. It got very ridiculous towards the end of my playtime with that game.

If you can do the same thing here and just switch campaigns anytime you want, its not going to be good.