The Expanse

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Oh and also +1 vote for people saying that Alex is too mopey relative to his book character. In the books he's super chill and just wants to fly his ship.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Holden = Space Jon Snow, aka main self righteous prick

Show-Holden even looks EXACTLY like Jon Snow. Complete with that permanent gormless mouthbreathing expression on his face. Casting picked him for that very reason I bet, since he's a bit off from book-Holden.

I dunno Jon Snow is much less of a bitch imo, boring certainly, but far less insufferable. Definitely looks like him, dark hair, very pale complexion.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Tonight's show straying from the book sort of made things a bit more annoying. Book vs. Show spoilers:

In the book, they pull the video feed from Bobbie's suit and confirm the story she told them. In the show, they don't do that and turn it into a "lol she b crazy" situation.

Also, after tonight, I am convinced that if the show goes on long enough that Anderson Dawes is going to replace the book character Marco. It also seems like Fred's right hand woman is an amalgamation of Sam, Drummer, and now possibly Machiko Pa.

• 1Like

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
TV Alex seems a bit bipolar sometimes, goes into weird funks for no reasons (probably to add drama I guess). Book Alex gets mopey, but only situationally (when stuff to do with his background comes up). Of the 4 Naomi is still the one who seems least like her book counterpart.

I think the layout of the ship in the TV series is pretty sloppy overall, and they might reorient it in the future to describe how unlike an airplane, all ships are basically laid out like buildings where the direction of thrust is always up. I don't remember them describing that or really conforming to it. But I give them a pass on it.

The part that bugs me about the ships in the show is how spacious they are. The books emphasize how cramped and claustrophobic the ships are, but then you've got the Roci with wide open galleys and walkways. I mean it's not a big deal in the scheme of things and they probably figured it would be tricky shooting in cramped quarters, but still.

• 1Like

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
Got the first 3 books yesterday and read about a quarter of the first book already. Loving it so far. Going to stop watching the show until I catch up book wise.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Shouldn't take too long then. They wrapped up the 1st book and are into the start of book 2.

I did the same thing with Game of Thrones, thinking I would pace myself so I wouldn't spoil things. Then I said fuck it and read the whole series.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Shouldn't take too long then. They wrapped up the 1st book and are into the start of book 2.
There's a couple of bits from all over book 2 that ended up early in S01/early S02. All the UN politics/Jules-Pierre Mao are from the entire first half of book 2. Finding that Mao is the bad guy in charge and the UN undersec is in cahoot with him is long after the Ganymede stuff. Plus it's a lot less complicated; in book-verse, when Bobbie gets trashed on Ganymede, everyone has known about the Eros stuff and it's more of a "god, this shit is still around" than "what is that shit?"

I did the same thing with Game of Thrones, thinking I would pace myself so I wouldn't spoil things. Then I said fuck it and read the whole series.
The difference is that the authors pump out on book a year, so you can stay ahead of the show.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
yeah still not a big fan of bobbie, it really sucks that they brought in a "I don't remember!" thing and then 2 minutes later its not really that important as she uses the focus drug. That all felt a bit sloppy and made the character worse, not better. I did like it when she mouthed off at the guy as he was about to tell a story about Earth, that finally shows the more interesting side to her - angry, but not whiny. Most of her scenes so far have just shown her as a petulant child.

Anderson Dawes is not replacing Marcos Inaros, at the beginning of the OPA Faction meeting Fred lists the factions present - Black Sky, Inaros, Tres Copains, and others.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not sure why they are changing so much from the books... seems unnecessary.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
There's stuff that works well in book form, but does not translate well into the punctuated dynamic of a show. But I agree, this episode seem to be one of the most "off-book" ones.

I do assume that they're going to use Dawes as the impetus for Holden and crew to chase to Ganymede and stumble upon the secret Protogen experiments there.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Nah fuck that. Any change they need to make to keep Jared Harris as Anderson Dawes on the show is a GOOD CHANGE. He's the best actor they have on the cast and it's a fucking miracle they managed to snag him in the first place. I'm not a fan of "weepy" bobbie either, and Avarasala's delivery feels pretty limp, but the whole space-mexican thing the belters are doing is almost single-handedly being carried by Dawes at this point.

I'm curious if the skinny asian chick that's Fred's second hand ends up being Michio Pa in later seasons, I don't think she was in the books at all. IMDB has her down as "Drummer".

• 1Like

Cybsled

She definitely seems like an amalgamation character, which makes sense. Even GoT has done the same thing sometimes for the sake of narrative (ie, rather than introduce these 4 minor characters during different seasons, let's just have 1 actor for all those seasons and give them those minor character aspects).

Her being some hybrid of Sam, Drummer, and Michio Pa seems to make the most sense at this point from what we have seen. Plus, by combining different characters into her, you can give her some good character development and story involvement across the seasons.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
There was a Drummer in the books? Been a while. I don't remember her.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Drummer was the head of security on Tycho and kind of 2nd in Command there. They don't really do much with her or give her any notable focus/inclusion in the books until like book 5 or something.

• 1Like

Azrayne

It's hard to rate Bobbie at the moment because we've never actually seen her kicking ass and taking names - it feels like they're holding her in reserve for something, but fucked if I know what.

• 2Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
this show keeps popping up in my Amazon prime

is it worth watching or is it shit?

• 1Like

Azrayne

If you like scifi, watch it. If you dont, don't. I've yet to speak to a single scifi fan who hasn't thought the show was excellent.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
i like scifi. i will give it a shot.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's great sci fi no doubt. Show is hard to follow at times but still great

Jared Harris He's the best actor they have on the cast

This part is definitely true. Totally missing how belters relate to Mexicans though...

Edit:

Just saw your sig and avatar. Everything clear now, no need to explain. Carry on.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
They are starting to let f-bombs into the show more and more or maybe it's just the download I get.

I hope they stop editing out Magicians. It's so annoying.

• 2Like