The Expanse

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
If we're getting all science nerd tilt going on, THEY ARE SITTING SIDEWAYS IN THE ROCI FUCK

It tilts me

Also I haven't read the books and I feel like sometimes this show is really hard to piece together. I've never really had that problem with any other show

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hmm I guess that makes sense. I just never really studied or even thought about the implications of space physics.
I always assumed G force would be a multiplier of force of gravity in the sense that if you were in 0G you could not create Gforce by way of acceleration but I see the hole in my thinking already in if that was the case rotational force wouldn't generate any gravity through centripetal force.
Everything about this is wrong.

Imagine a kid sitting in a swing. When stationary the only force acting on them is gravity. Now imagine gently pushing them on their back. They now have another force acting on them, your hand. They feel the force on their back, and begin to accelerate in the direction you're pushing them.

If they were on a space swing outside our galaxy with no celestial bodies giving meaningful gravity and you pushed them, the force they'd feel from you pushing them would be identical.

Of course, on the earth swing they'd swing upward and then gravity would pull them down again. On the space swing they'd swing upward and would just keep swinging around the pole indefinitely. Serves them right the little fucker.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Oh and I'm also disappointed we didn't get to see Sgt. Draper get rekt by proto monster, I thought her battle with it was one of the best battles in the books.

What's the book spoiler policy in this thread?

• 1Like

Cybsled

It is hard to tell from the show, but the Roci is built like a skyscraper so to speak. If it was on the ground, its natural configuration would be standing up like a rocket.

Roci diagram using keyboard symbols!

O\ |
O====|>--|-0
O/ |

Boosters Person in ship

So when the ship is in space, the boosters are pushing the ship forward and technically the ship is laying on its side. Thus, when you are in space, the force pushing the ship forward pushes the stuff inside against the direction of the thrust. This means the floors of the ship are oriented to be parallel with the directions of thrust. Even though the seats in the ship are facing in various directions, the G-forces are pulling "down" from them.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Oh and I'm also disappointed we didn't get to see Sgt. Draper get rekt by proto monster, I thought her battle with it was one of the best battles in the books.
95% we're going to see the battle in bits and pieces thru flashbacks when she gets debriefed then has to testify.

It's not too bad. You go from badass marines ready to rock to corpses scattered everywhere, which lets you imagine the worst. If you didn't read the books, you would probably not have expected that outcome.

Spoilers properly tagged, I guess. There's always people who don't even want to have the spoiler at all. I try to compartimentalize, but when you try to engage people in speculating about, say, what was that face right at the end of the episode, it's hard to make fake suppositions when you've got a good idea what it's about.

Although they might have changed things a bit
it could end up not being a secret Mao-Kwikowski project, since the show doesn't have years between the Eros Incident and the stuff at Ganymede Station.
^^ This kind of book-tagged spoilery stuff.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
One thing I didn't fully get:

Did Naomi send the proto sample to Fred Johnson against Holden's wishes and without him knowing? Because that's how it looked.

At first I thought they were going to send it into the sun and Johnson would capture it due to his knowledge of capturing the earth missile's (or something).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob

There was some small hints that the next episode may be a replay of the entire battle from different POVs. The drones, we saw at the beginning of the scene someone from inside the dome waving frantically at the marines, all the gunfire going on, the drone popping up again at the end. We saw the "outside" portions of the fight but not the bits in between, would make sense to show the POVs of the person in the dome, the marines, and the spaceships in the next episode.

Naomi faked sending the sample to the sun, if you saw the bottom right of the screen it said Simulation active (why Holden didn't see that is left as a guess). Its basically parked exactly where they left it, but everyone else on the Roci now thinks its destroyed. Fred doesn't know where it is, or even that it exists.

• 2Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
One thing I didn't fully get:

Did Naomi send the proto sample to Fred Johnson against Holden's wishes and without him knowing? Because that's how it looked.

At first I thought they were going to send it into the sun and Johnson would capture it due to his knowledge of capturing the earth missile's (or something).

From where I was sitting it looked like she didn't send it anywhere. She simulated sending it into the sun to fool the crew of the Roci and left the sample right where it was. I could have missed her sending it somewhere though.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Ya, they show the engine cutting out, so she just left it there.

• 1Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Finally caught up on this series, been meaning to since partway through season 1.

So Satisfying, scratches the Sci Fi itch Mass Effect 2 left.

Presumably since this is FoH, everyone in this thread naturally has an affinity toward Amos like myself I would hazard a guess?

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Nope I'm terrible with names. If it isn't an adaption of a book I've read, I can usually only name maybe 1/3 of the characters in any given show I'm watching off the top of my head, if that.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
They kinda did show the UN marines shooting back at the protomolecule mutant but it was at a distance and vague. I'm guessing they'll flash back to that at some point when Bobbie is aboard the roci or it's an extreme case of not hand-holding the audience.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The title for this week's episode ( "The Seventh Man" ) is a clear indication that it will be about the battle.

(as it's obviously referring to the 7th target on Bobbie's display, unlike the 6 UN Marines they encountered earlier)

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Holden = Space Jon Snow, aka main self righteous prick
Miller = space cop with the cool hat
Noami = skinny black chick that Holden is banging, she is the brains of that relationship
Amos = funny sociopath ship fixing guy, he's the one you'd want to hang out with
Alex = martian pilot for the Rocinante, the guy who mopes around a lot but is a great pilot
Chrisjen Avasarala = the indian older lady who is head of the UN and talks like she has a vibrator in her pussy
Fred Johnson = only black guy in space, aka Cutty from the Wire

Those are the only guys you really need to know

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
There is no spoiler policy in this thread until Noodle comes and fucks it up.

If you don't want to be spoiled, or cant handle the threat of spoilers, gtfo. Most ppl use the spoiler tag, but any thread on this forum is "at your own risk" imo. (except NSFW type shit).

I think they are trying to do their best to appease the book readers with some of the stuff, Epstein drive, The Smoking Woman's (asavara or whatever) rant, etc. To develop the story / universe / characters properly to get to the end destination. And while it might be clumsy, and a bit side ways if you have read the books, I imagine it isn't easy.

About the crash couches, wouldn't they be horizontal (according to thrust) when the ship is accelerating? It is a bit odd with the layout of the ship, since the "bridge" is "above and forward" of the crew area. When it in fact should be directly above. I imagine that was done for the visuals and to make it easier for ppl to understand the locations / functions of the areas by sight alone.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Noami = skinny black chick that Holden is banging, she is the brains of that relationship
Amos = funny sociopath ship fixing guy, he's the one you'd want to hang out with
Alex = martian pilot for the Rocinante, the guy who mopes around a lot but is a great pilot
Chrisjen Avasarala = the indian older lady who is head of the UN and talks like she has a vibrator in her pussy

Show-Holden even looks EXACTLY like Jon Snow. Complete with that permanent gormless mouthbreathing expression on his face. Casting picked him for that very reason I bet, since he's a bit off from book-Holden.
With Miller (and Thomas Jane) gone from the show, I'm actually starting to worry about Holden and Naomi since his absence kinda puts their shortcomings up front. Amos and Alex rock tho.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There is no spoiler policy in this thread until Noodle comes and fucks it up.

If you don't want to be spoiled, or cant handle the threat of spoilers, gtfo. Most ppl use the spoiler tag, but any thread on this forum is "at your own risk" imo. (except NSFW type shit).

I think they are trying to do their best to appease the book readers with some of the stuff, Epstein drive, The Smoking Woman's (asavara or whatever) rant, etc. To develop the story / universe / characters properly to get to the end destination. And while it might be clumsy, and a bit side ways if you have read the books, I imagine it isn't easy.

About the crash couches, wouldn't they be horizontal (according to thrust) when the ship is accelerating? It is a bit odd with the layout of the ship, since the "bridge" is "above and forward" of the crew area. When it in fact should be directly above. I imagine that was done for the visuals and to make it easier for ppl to understand the locations / functions of the areas by sight alone.
I think the layout of the ship in the TV series is pretty sloppy overall, and they might reorient it in the future to describe how unlike an airplane, all ships are basically laid out like buildings where the direction of thrust is always up. I don't remember them describing that or really conforming to it. But I give them a pass on it.

re: the epstein drive sequence, I think it's something any hardcore sci-fi fan would like because sci-fi is all about dealing with a fictional universe that's enabled by a certain improvement of science. With near-future sci-fis like Expanse the improvement in science is limited, and expanse especially has one key scientific advancement, the epstein drive. There's a few other huge advancements (Ex: Draper's power suit is ridiculous OP), but if we invented the Epstein tomorrow, we should expect our civilization to look very Expanse like in ~100 years (Just with less attention to Mars).

In the same way the Epstein transformed the Expanse universe pre-show, the proto molecule will transform it during the show.

So, I think the inclusion of the epstein drive was not just a treat to a book reader who only read hints about it, but also a show watcher who delights in the science aspects of sci fi.

• 2Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Bobbie Draper = huge sexy polynesian chick who runs around like Iron man

• 1Like