The Expanse

iannis

Musty Nester
The first three or so were enjoyable. I think I stopped around that.

They found a portal at the edge of the solar system and the remnants of a galactic civilization's transport network which was in failsafe lockdown mode? I think. The shit from that moon was an advanced weapon. Is that the right series? Yeah, because they took the mormon seedship and turned it into a battleship. It was actually good, but the scope of the story grew beyond "Mister Mister and his Ragtag Crew". It got too big for itself. It shifted more from interesting characters into more grandiose sci-fi ideas. Which is fine, but different. And it's not really what impressed me about the first book.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

You might like book 5, then. All the POV chapters are Rosi crew characters.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I quit at 3. Will prolly skim through 4 just to keep track of what is going on, then pick back up with 5.

Thx for the info from the podcast, that makes more sense. They are what Amos was. I might have missed something in the show that indicated they were illegals vs on basic. Sticking by my claim that it was clumsy.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Thx for the info from the podcast, that makes more sense. They are what Amos was.
Yea, I was going to say that this entire sequence was based on The Churn, the novella that deals with Amos' origins. That's where you see the seedy side of Earth.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
any idea how much time has passed on the show?
It's a definitively a lot faster than the books. My guess is two-three months tops since the Canterbury incident to current time.

That's a definitive departure from the book settings. In the show, they go straight from Eros crashing on Venus (end of book 1) to Ganymede incident (start of book 2). In the books, there's a year or two, during which everyone finds out about the protomolecule, Holden & Crew acquire a reputation for being Fred Johnson's troubleshooters, etc.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Yeah, I quit at 3. Will prolly skim through 4 just to keep track of what is going on, then pick back up with 5.

Thx for the info from the podcast, that makes more sense. They are what Amos was. I might have missed something in the show that indicated they were illegals vs on basic. Sticking by my claim that it was clumsy.

Book 4 is kind of the odd one out in some ways. The bad guys seem a bit manufactured in it, because I never really bought they would go full zealot over the situation. If you want more alien lore beyond book 3, it has a pretty major heaping of it. Beyond that though, it is probably the most stand-alone of all the books.

• 1Like

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I am currently in the middle of season 2, but I had to come here and post about the phone call, when eros was heading for earth. The delay in transmission and the UN lady and her husband talking over each other was one of the little details, that makes you appreciate this series. It even served a purpose and was such a nice touch. It is no The Wire, but it is certainly entertaining.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Ya, adjustments work. They also make the Bobbie story a bit more believable.

• 2Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Are the books all about the protomolecule stuff, or does it move on to other Earth/Mars dramatics later on?

• 2Like

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Are the books all about the protomolecule stuff, or does it move on to other Earth/Mars dramatics later on?
The protomolecule changes the landscape in a way that should be revealed soon.

It will not be a focus of the story per se soon.

Think of it like Homeland and it not being a show about Brody and him being a terrorist in the first couple seasons. It's still an underlying impetus for why things are happening the way they are in space.

• 2Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, to reiterate what others have said, the proto is officially a "player on the scene" now. It's a *part* of the story from here on out, but it doesn't remain the main focal point of the story forever.

Things evolve beyond what they are pretty quickly. So if you were concerned that the next four or five seasons would be all about James Holden running around the galaxy trying to destroy the protomolecule, I wouldn't worry.

• 2Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Sign me up for shit that lets you punch out of airlocks and walk around in a vacuum.
I'd be snorting that stuff.

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
holy shit i have not wanted a spaceship as much as when alex did that badass gravity slingshot around 10 moons to get to ganymede. that was so beautiful

both the doctors were creepy awesome, great villains. Bobby beating the shit out of the chaplain captain was great, she is starting to slowly get into her own character. I love Ashur the spy, he is great as Avasarala's henchman. After a couple of slow episodes this one really starts ratcheting up the plot, only 2 episodes left this season.

best scene
BhN9Z5g.gif

this weeks podcast has the showrunner on it
The Churn Episode 10: Holden and crew get too close to the truth in 'Here There Be Dragons'

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
Amos carrying the team every time. I hope we get Miller back as a proto-thing someday.

• 2Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Amos carrying the team every time. I hope we get Miller back as a proto-thing someday.

Amos carrying the team, and then they fucking back log him to do some boring shit while Mr. Wimpy goes after the fucking White Walkers, dafaque. I mean yea he's shot but I don't want to go an episode without Amos to push events, when everybody else gets mopey.

I agree at least the Martian Marine is likable now, the whole beat 'em up scene was poorly choreographed, but it doesn't matter, we were spending to much time with her and she wasn't very likable, and now she's gone up in faction with me from Dubious to Apprehensive.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Couple of interesting hints from further books.

Clarissa Mao is mentioned. Thing is, she's probably going to be pissed against Avasarala rather than the Roci crew, which should change her storyline a lot. No idea how they're going to handle her for season 3.

There's also Naomi talking about her son from book 5-6 storyline. There had been a hint from book 5 dropped during season 1 when she wants a future favor from Fred Johnson - to track Filip - but that's the first time in-show we know she's had a child.

Only 2 episodes remaining, which makes me think they're not going to wrap book 2 yet.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
holy shit i have not wanted a spaceship as much as when alex did that badass gravity slingshot around 10 moons to get to ganymede. that was so beautiful
The guy behind it isn't happy with the scene as it is and promises one MUCH BETTER in season 3.

(book readers probably anticipate that one, since slingshotting sport was introduced in season 1)

I for one would have loved the idea of Alex having his beard progressively grow as trash cans accumulate, but I agree: wouldn't work with the timing on the "ground" at Ganymede.

• 2Like