The Expanse

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Minor nick-pick, but anyone else notice the shots of Jupiter from Ganymede vary wildly? Sometimes Jupiter is huge other times it's fairly distant. The latter is accurate as, I believe, Ganymede is one of Jupiter's most outer satellites.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
From Ganymede Jupiter would have an angular diameter of about 400 arc minutes. In contrast the angular diameter of the Moon from Earth is 31 arc minutes.

If you held your hand out at arms length and made devil-horns with your fingers outstretched then that would be close to the size of Jupiter in the night sky over Ganymede.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

spronk

FPS noob
Haha cucumber face is priceless.

IPPOG4R.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
A bit slow, and Holden is (again) worse than the book-Holden. But we have uber-Bobbie to compensate, that's ok.

My nitpick is that, unless they shuffle the various storylines, we may end up with a disappointing end to S2. So my hope is that, while everyone is focused on Ganymede, Venus happens behind their back just at the end of the episode. And Adam Savages dies gloriously
QTiKfwZ.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I wonder if those were hard for her to do. I've heard actors talk about eating scenes and they all say those scenes suck a lot more than you'd expect if you've never done one. If you have to do it more than once you get SO full. And she's really going to fuckin town on those nummy nummy sammiches!

• 1Like

Goatface

the deconstruction of the science ship was great.

don't know how i feel about Bobbie, so wanted her to be epic
hated how they showed the rescue
Holden is too bland, at least in the book annoying
Alex is better than book Alex.
Amos is good, not as good the book, but he is growing on me.
don't care for Naomi at all.

• 2Like

Ladro

Anomaly
The deconstruction was awesome, are those guys dead then? Decent finale, but it kind of fizzled out honestly.

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
yeah the guys are dead in the poisonous atmosphere of venus. the protomolecule took apart the ship because it needed to learn how it works (new tech), it had already sampled thousands of human beings so didn't really care about them but they all died in a few seconds I'd assume

L6ZXaW9.gif

Really enjoyed the proto hybrid, it looked cool and scary to me. I was just on the edge of my seat going OH FUCK OH FUCK OH FUCK every time it stared at Holden

GqP4AgN.gif

Its a bummer they ended where they did, I would have preferred season 2 to end at the last chapter of book 2 but oh well

• 2Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Not the greatest finale, but I really enjoy this show. I also really enjoy the pace the show moves at, it doesn't take a full season to get one thing done.

I also loved the dialogue this season. Cucumber chick, Amos' quips etc... Really solid show.

• 2Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Most shows (including Star Trek) use the device of an inertial dampener to get around that tricky aspect of physics. Actually, that same type of effect is why Eros was able to move so fast, but Miller didn't feel anything. However, the level of human technology in the show hasn't figured out that trick yet.
I didn't know either until that conversation back when in this thread but I watched the station crew launch yesterday and it showed it in good detail. They had a stuffed animal on a string which was always downward held by gravity/force. When they did the final booster drop the astronauts lunged forward from going booster to nothing and the animal floated away. As long as force was applied it was as if they had gravity same as when sitting on the launch pad in directional force.

Not sure if that is why Russia stuck that stuffed dog animal hanging down in there but it showed it well.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Ya. the crew would be dead/soon to die due to the atmosphere. Not instantly, as they were still high enough in the air that the massive heat wouldn't be an issue and it is less acidic in the higher portions. Actually, very high in the atmosphere the pressure is similar to Earth and much cooler (still over 100 degrees, but human survivable temp wise with special suits). Still nothing for humans to breath that is good for you, though.

I did like how the scientist guy, even though he was clearly dying, could still manage a slight smile/could see he was "happy". Makes sense. His whole life revolved around evidence of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe and only a super intelligent alien species could have pulled off what just happened to them. He basically got his life's wish, even though the evidence was going to kill him.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Ya. the crew would be dead/soon to die due to the atmosphere.
He basically got his life's wish, even though the evidence was going to kill him.
For the non-book readers interested in the difference, the same sequence happens mid-book 2, except that the Arboghast (the ship) is still in orbit so everyone dies quasi immediately (notably because their spacesuits, for those who were wearing one, are disassembled as well). But Jon-Michael de Uturbe ("Dr. Iturbi" in the show) wasn't in the ship and thus survives to report that event to Avasarala, although he's no longer a character after that (I think).

A major problem is that, with both the martian and UN ships monitoring Venus gone, we still might be back to "no one has any idea that something's wrong going on over there". Except for Avasarala who had some of Iturbi's early reports.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Ya, I am wondering about that. They seem to be playing up the mystery element with the protomolecule in the show more than in the book.

In the book, they see the proto-soldier on video pretty fast and what happens at Venus
In the show, they don't share the proto-solider stuff until later (so less people know about it) and who knows how they will handle the Venus event

• 1Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Love the episode, love the show, but they have a problem.

They've got one awesome character.
One very good character that's presumably dead.
Then a few goodish to good character's ,most of which don't get much screen time.
one mediocre character
Then there's the main character, he's so fucking bad. when he's neutered he's a little bitch, when he's not he goes full fucking fanatic, there's no subtlety or development to him, he just find away to take a complete extreme, whenever he gets a chance. He takes up to much screen time, and effects the plot to greatly, that he's a hindrance to the show it's just god damned annoying. It's funny because when he was first introduce I got the impression I might like him, and then once the plot started coming into place and he starts making decisions, just a complete 180.

ps. I thought that was Adam Savage, I know he digs the show and I remember him talking about it, but then I saw another frame and it didn't quite look like him so I wasn't 100% until reading this page.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
physics breaking space station was pretty bad. But, ground-orbit super telekinesis=humanity 100% fucked. I'm kindof wondering how the books go, because this from the show would present a scenario where its already too late. abandoning Sol is the only option, for humanity to not be entirely consumed.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The finale made me love Amos even more. I wasn't sure at the start of season 1, but he is easily the most nuanced guy on the show and played very well.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
physics breaking space station was pretty bad. But, ground-orbit super telekinesis=humanity 100% fucked. I'm kindof wondering how the books go, because this from the show would present a scenario where its already too late. abandoning Sol is the only option, for humanity to not be entirely consumed.

what is the physics breaking space station? And there is no telekinesis involved here, before The Arbogast was destroyed we saw it was infiltrated by floating blue protomolecule mites, presumably some sort of nanotech disassemblers that could rapidly attach to the hull and disassemble and study the ship. Its why it was so stupid of them to head towards the atmosphere, they were pretty safe (so far) in space far, far away from what they saw was going on at the crash impact crater.

and humans being humans, the martians then decided THEY needed to get closer to the surface before the earthers did, and both groups paid the price for their monkey curiosity.

The finale made me love Amos even more. I wasn't sure at the start of season 1, but he is easily the most nuanced guy on the show and played very well.

E3tY5Xe.jpg

• 2Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

I have no idea how he was in the books, but I love his character on the show. His quips & brash behavior cracks me up. Actor does a good job of not making him feel corny. Alex & Amos are entertaining to watch.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
If you want the book solution to that problem
The protomolecule is a terraforming system that's over a billion years old, partially broken, and the aliens have been dead for as long. So the Venus manufactory does what it has to, and then tries to get instructions for further actions.

No instructions come ever.

• 1Like