The Expanse

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cybsled

Ya, book 2 isn't being wrapped up this season. If I had to guess what the ending will involve.

Book spoiler

The science ship around Venus will be disassembled by the protomolecule and they make a link that the proto-soldiers have a connection with what is going on with Venus

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I really think the entire crew except Naomi was perfectly cast. She isn't bad but the other three are spot on in my opinion.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Last two episodes are "The Monster and the Rocket" and "Caliban's War", and they have to wrap up the following lines:

1) The escaped Protomolecule™ soldier (fun bit: he's played by Elias Toufexis, aka "Kenzo the spy" from S1) : team Holden+Alex
2) Prax's daughter Mei rescue : team Naomi+Amos
3) Jules-Pierre Mao's trap : team Avasarala+Bobbie
4) The Venus growth and Protomolecule™ official discovery : team Dr. Iturbi ("Michael-Jon de Uturbé" in the book)

possibly delayed to S3:
5) Dawes & Cortazar : no one can catch Dawes. Yet.
6) The Earth-Mars potential war averted : Team Bobbie. On her own!

• 2Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
The guy behind it isn't happy with the scene as it is and promises one MUCH BETTER in season 3.

(book readers probably anticipate that one, since slingshotting sport was introduced in season 1)

I for one would have loved the idea of Alex having his beard progressively grow as trash cans accumulate, but I agree: wouldn't work with the timing on the "ground" at Ganymede.

Their dedication to detail and scientific realism are two of the things that makes this such a great show. It's the type of thing you can feel while watching. Even if you don't know all the sciencey calculations yourself, you can tell that getting it right matters to the guys making the show- and that matters to me.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I watched this show just because you don't see much sci-fi these days. Very surprised at how good it actually is.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I watched this show just because you don't see much sci-fi these days. Very surprised at how good it actually is.
If the series gets a long life, I think it will go down as a classic right up there with Star Trek, Babylon 5, and BSG.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Last two episodes are "The Monster and the Rocket" and "Caliban's War", and they have to wrap up the following lines:

1) The escaped Protomolecule™ soldier (fun bit: he's played by Elias Toufexis, aka "Kenzo the spy" from S1) : team Holden+Alex
2) Prax's daughter Mei rescue : team Naomi+Amos
3) Jules-Pierre Mao's trap : team Avasarala+Bobbie
4) The Venus growth and Protomolecule™ official discovery : team Dr. Iturbi ("Michael-Jon de Uturbé" in the book)

possibly delayed to S3:
5) Dawes & Cortazar : no one can catch Dawes. Yet.
6) The Earth-Mars potential war averted : Team Bobbie. On her own!

I kinda thing Dawes is going to become...

Marco, if not you have to find something to do with Dawes now that him and Fred are at odds. Phillip can just be some dude under Dawes or something?

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

Marco, if not you have to find something to do with Dawes now that him and Fred are at odds. Phillip can just be some dude under Dawes or something?
I could have agreed but
We've already got the background on Naomi's son - even if the sex isn't mentioned yet in the show - and she wanted Fred to track him out "later". So, no, Marco is still a go as Naomi's son, and while Dawes might be retrofit into Marco, I think they would have placed hints about it earlier. Naomi doesn't seem to have any special stuff going against Dawes, except her general dislike about OPA bigwigs.

But that's for S5 or S6, if they get there (which I hope)

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider

They've already mentioned Inaros as a belter faction in the show.

• 2Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Finally got caught up. Amos is just plain awesome. I like the slow burn they are doing with character development, it seems that ever since BSG/GoT people are more willing to take full advantage of the long form narrative afforded by a series. It is refreshing to not force movie-going the sudden character exposition onto characters that are more nuanced.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
One of the advantages that you have when you start with 5 books of a series already out is that your characters are already well fleshed, and the showrunners have plenty of materials to use.

Of course, then you have shows that keep going without new material, and shows where the writers not only help on the show, but manage to keep putting out one book a year.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I feel bad for just this moment realizing that Avasarala's minion is Captain Boomerang from Arrow who is also Ashur from Spartacus.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Started playing Destiny again a week or so ago, and I just realized that the voice actor for the Future War Cult leader is Avasarala, is she a sci-fi fan?

• 2Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Their dedication to detail and scientific realism are two of the things that makes this such a great show. It's the type of thing you can feel while watching. Even if you don't know all the sciencey calculations yourself, you can tell that getting it right matters to the guys making the show- and that matters to me.

I'm ashamed to admit it but before watching this show, I didn't know that acceleration in space resulted in G forces that could be deadly. Now I'll never be able to watch Star Wars again and not wonder how Han and Chewie don't get turned to pulp when they make the jump to hyperspace. Thanks The Expanse!

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Most shows (including Star Trek) use the device of an inertial dampener to get around that tricky aspect of physics. Actually, that same type of effect is why Eros was able to move so fast, but Miller didn't feel anything. However, the level of human technology in the show hasn't figured out that trick yet.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
s2cViZJ.gif

• 3Like